Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A question for those with 'good ears'.

What's Hot
I saw this illustration on another thread and it caused me to wonder whether those with ears that are so sensitive to the harmonic balance of a given note that they can even tell one type of wood from another also notice the tone of their instrument changing from note to note, as the nodes of the various harmonics in each note played align with the pickup they are using and so do not become part of the signal.

The illustration shows an open string and the 4th harmonic, but the same thing would happen to all the fretted notes and the harmonics they contain. Also, in many more cases the strength of the harmonic, if not lost altogether, would be diminished due to the pickup not aligning with the centre of the node.

Can anyone notice these harmonic variations when playing, or does the guitar seem to have a consistent timbre?

Thanks!

http://www.frudua.com/immagini/4thharmonicen.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Yes.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    Trolllolololol 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Yes.
    =) Ooh, you are such a card!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    You need good ears?

Graham Rowntree is on his way. He has the best ears.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Trolllolololol 
    Not at all. There is obviously a lot of harmonic variation in the signal of an electric guitar, so it seems reasonable to ask if anyone can perceive these differences.
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Trolllolololol 
    Not at all. There is obviously a lot of harmonic variation in the signal of an electric guitar, so it seems reasonable to ask if anyone can perceive these differences.
    Indeed, but the real question is:

If it sounds good does anyone care?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 965
    edited September 2017
    I've read these posts ( especially the now infamous tonewood debate ) with interest and I must be a very simple man because I either play a guitar and like the sound it makes or I play a guitar and I don't like the sound it makes...
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    Trolllolololol 
    You are making a dig with your first sentence. “Ears that are so sensitive”. Looking for a rise from people. There is literally no point getting in a discussion with you on this subject or any related to guitar tone because you have no doubt already made your mind up and won’t consider any other position. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Also, are you on a personal challenge to create the most new threads with the same subject but just very subtly different?

Here's a few more suggestions:

- Does the type of fretwire affect tone?
    - Does body shape affect tone?
    - Does ambient temperature affect tone?
    - Does relative humidity affect tone?
    - Does having fat or thin fingers affect tone?
    - Does the position of my belt buckle affect tone?
    - Can anyone here notice the difference when a pickup is moved by 1mm away from the bridge?
    - Does anyone think I should get out a bit more?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I missed one:

- Does being called Tony affect tone?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Do you actually ever play guitar or do you spend all your time trying to prove that guitarists are a bunch of mugs? (Which has never been in dispute).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840

Can anyone notice these harmonic variations when playing, or does the guitar seem to have a consistent timber?

Yes. All my guitars have wood going right the way through from front to back and top to bottom.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The timbre of an electric guitar isn't consistent across every string and fret. 

Anyone who was more interested in playing than trolling internet forums would be aware of that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • What's the fourth harmonic?

I'm out.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    What's the difference between a @Three-ColourSunburst ; and an Uzi 9mm?

An Uzi only repeats itself 16 times a second.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    What's the difference between a @Three-ColourSunburst ; and an Uzi 9mm?

An Uzi only repeats itself 16 times a second.
    And an Uzi doesn't have an apparently infinite magazine clip...
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited September 2017
    Yup, I definitely have the lobes for that as my passport picture will verify :) :
    Image result for ferengi

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 187
    The timbre of an electric guitar isn't consistent across every string and fret. 

Anyone who was more interested in playing than trolling internet forums would be aware of that. 
    Very much this, the way the timbre changes across the range is part and parcel of the sound of the instrument.  Any time the timbre of an instrument is consistent across all of the notes the results are curiously unmusical, like an early sample-based digital keyboard or a poorly programmed synth patch. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFX said:

You are making a dig with your first sentence. “Ears that are so sensitive”. Looking for a rise from people.
    Not at all. In the 'tone wood' thread we had some claiming they could clearly heat differences between different species of wood used to make a solid-body electric guitar, and others saying they heard no difference. It follows that if some have more sensitive hearing than others, than this sensitivity would be expressed in other ways as well, and I wondered if this was the case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bats would make the best guitarists if only they could reach the neck :(

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.