Telecaster series wiring question. (sorted)

kizzerkizzer Frets: 65
edited September 2017 in Making & Modding
Hi guys i've had an old Squier tele from the 80's for about 15 years, which is a nice beater guitar. The previous owner had done a number on it with various different routes and wire splices, so I decided to give it a full rewire, pot and switch change and try some mods with it. Firstly I wired it up with a treble bleed mod like this:

The previous owner had drilled a hole in the control plate, so I looked around for mods and found the series mod. I have a small DPDT toggle switch lying around which will plug the hole, so thought I would use it rather than changing to a 4 way switch. There seems to be many wiring diagrams around and all seem slightly different. I would like to keep the normal 3 way switching and then have a toggle switch to bypass the normal switching and put both pickups into series.

I found an article on Premier Guitar which had a diagram with the mod using a switching tone pot.

They say you can use a toggle switch in its place. The only thing that was throwing me is that the lugs on the 3 way switch are staggered differently to mine. Would I have to reverse the wiring like a mirror image on the 3 way switch to make this work?

Could anyone confirm whether my diagram below would work?

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• With a DPDT switch through the control plate, I always follow this diagram. https://www.seymourduncan.com/tech-tips?tip_id=34071
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • kizzerkizzer Frets: 65
    edited September 2017
    With a DPDT switch through the control plate, I always follow this diagram. https://www.seymourduncan.com/tech-tips?tip_id=34071
    Thanks for the reply. Am I right in thinking the toggle switch to series only works when the 3 way switch is in the middle position with this mod?

I've updated my initial thread question with another wiring diagram which might work.
  • kizzer said:
    Am I right in thinking the toggle switch to series only works when the 3 way switch is in the middle position with this mod?
    Yes.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    kizzer said:

Could anyone confirm whether my diagram below would work?

Yes, looks like it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• After a bit of a rewire I've got it sorted, the toggle switch puts both pickups into serial regardless of where the 3-way switch is.