Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Tremolo pedal ?

What's Hot
jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
edited September 2017 in FX

I have been considering the Electro Harmonix stereo super pulsar.

I like the fact that you can store up to 8 presets but must admit it looks complicated.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience of using one.

Or a good alternative -I don't want/need any crazy ring modulation sounds but a good scope of different trem sounds from smooth to choppy mainly for Americana type stuff.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The danelectro cool cat one is great for what you need. My personal current fave is the Frederic west Germany, which is very choppy. 
  • Mayer Voodoo Vibe does a nice trem too
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Best sounding for me are the Demeter Tremulator and the Diaz Tremodillo, but they really only do one type of sound. Either would do great for Americana though.

If you have to be able to change the waveform, the Boss TR-2 is great sounding. Do you need tap tempo?
  • The Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe is great, as is the Empress Tremolo, which is more convincingly amp-like. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    Kingsley Bard young man
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    For Blackface trem, Demeter Tremulator
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    Fulltone Supatrem is the best I’ve tried
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Suhr Jack Rabbit for sale and it's brilliant, (only selling having gone the Helix route). Well worth investigating.
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited September 2017
    I don't know about the Super Pulsar, but I used to have a normal Stereo Pulsar and thought that the rate knob was far too sensitive. It was only really usable between around 9 & 1 on the dial (anything higher or lower was unusably fast or slow) and any slight turn on it made a noticeable difference, so it was hard to pin point the rate you wanted. I imagine the Super is similar but the tap-tempo will probably solve that to be fair.

I changed the Pulsar for a Boss TR-2, which I think is much better. If tap tempo or presets aren't needed I'd go for it every time. 
  • It's the Supro for me...

That bit at 1:37 is the balls.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited September 2017
    for something with lots of features, any of these:
    seymour duncan shape shifter
    EHX Super Pulsar
    Empress
    Solid Gold Stutter Box
    Walrus Monument

some of the above may be too much for your needs, and unnecessarily expensive, though.   the super pulsar is complicated if you've never had a tremolo before.  

there's lots of simpler and more affordable options.   Many simple tremolos will cover sinewave (subtle), triangle wave, and squarewave (choppy) waveforms. e.g Boss TR2.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Thank you for all the help and advice. Much appreciated. All of your suggestions sound great and to explain I currently have great tremolo on my Silverface vibrolux as well as a Flint (which I am selling due to never using the reverb anymore) What I am after is something that will give me several great trem sounds easily - from classic old school to really swampy to stutters and machine gun. I think a lot of the suggestions will do one or a couple of those sounds really well but not all of them. My theory with the super pulsar is that hopefully after a lot of tweaking I could get and programme all the sounds I seek and then they are available and I can forget about all the way out and other twiddly bits on the pedal. 
    I am really surprised no-one on here has one or had one that maybe could enlighten me.
  • I love my David Rolo Twin Peaks:
    http://www.davidrolo.com/product/twin-peaks-tremolo/

Lots of waveform options, harmonic and blackface modes, and tap tempo.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    Super Pulsar seems over the top for you.    I've not owned or tried one but I am familiar what it is like and what it does.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Ro_S said:
    Super Pulsar seems over the top for you.    I've not owned or tried one but I am familiar what it is like and what it does.  
    You could be right - I think that explains my hesitation.
  • I love my David Rolo Twin Peaks:

That does look to be a great option.

• It's the Supro for me...

That bit at 1:37 is the balls.
    Sounds great  - But that Mike Hermans makes everything sound great !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    jimkehoe said:

You could be right - I think that explains my hesitation.
    If you have a simpler pedal with a waveform knob you dont need presets to easily access the sounds you like.

One thing you need to decide is whether you need tap tempo.

The David Rolo trem is excellent but it is very hard to find.  It's not currently made by him afaik.

If you like the option of harmonic tremolo as an option - and you want tap tempo - you may like the Walrus Monument. it's a lot more straightforward compared to the super pulsar.
    Alternatively, if you don't need harmonic trem but you need tap tempo, I'd suggest the S/Duncan shape shifter.

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited September 2017
    I love my David Rolo Twin Peaks:

This was going to be my second suggestion.

However... I've been on the waiting list for one for some time now - and I was sent an e-mail at 11:30pm yesterday saying they were back in stock. Unfortunately, by the time I opened that e-mail at 7:45am this morning, they'd already sold out.

Again.

s 
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgaw said:
    Kingsley Bard young man
    Mark - I am a big fan of Kingsley pedals - Have had several over the years. But the Bard does one particular sound albeit extremely well - Looking for more variation.