Slide rig vs Cali76

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891

I think most people know that these are made in the UK, and are now world famous. 

Aim is to get the 1176 studio compressor feel into pedals

Sliderig uses 2 in series. My question is, for those who understand compressors and studio kit better:

"What is the different between using 2 x 1176 in series compared to one with a higher compression setting?

Is it because each has a slightly different setting?

I own this one: https://origineffects.com/product/cali76-compact-deluxe/, which is like the original large Cali76, with more mixing options on it than the original one

They have a new, smaller slideRig too: https://origineffects.com/product/sliderig-compact-deluxe/

The sliderig is intended for intense, electric slide playing https://origineffects.com/videos/

Pete Thorn: shows off the original and latest range: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGHPVkVdyy4 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM5DuRfvK08

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've just had this dilemma and have actually a/b both side by side this week.

There was not much between them, to be honest, although the second comp on the Slide rig can give me umpf and added sustain.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had both the CD and the big box sliderig for a while. I think the CD is the only compressor I will ever need. Whilst I liked the SR, I found it worked best for intended application, I wasn't so keen on it's supersquishyness and as a normal compressor I missed the options of the CD (/like mix)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    The SlideRig doesn't allow you to vary the attack, so for chicken pickin etc. prob not the best choice. It does have a mix control, in that it allows you to control the amount of dry signal.
  • I had both the CD and the big box sliderig for a while. I think the CD is the only compressor I will ever need. Whilst I liked the SR, I found it worked best for intended application, I wasn't so keen on it's supersquishyness and as a normal compressor I missed the options of the CD (/like mix)
    that's what I suspected
  • my mate plays exclusively acoustic lap steel, and uses a magnetic soundhole pickup, very clean with hardly any reverb
    he was thinking of the sliderig, 

but I have recommended the CD Deluxe to him

• My partner uses the Slide Rig Compact Deluxe with her Gibson Advanced Jumbo, and it's great - just keep the level of the second compressor at zero and it works pretty much just like the CD anyway. She tends to use the blend at about 50/50. 

I love having the option of quickly dialling in the second compressor for slide and for ambient, spacy stuff. I'd personally go for the Slide Rig CD as it's more versatile overall. 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    To be honest (name's on the tin), I'm not sure why non-slide players would consider the SR. it's a great pedal but it's super-specific, if that makes sense. For general playing it's too much, unless you're running a very clean amp with single coils. 
    For acoustic lap it would probably not be a good fit. If you sustain acoustic too much it sounds very artificial, even though the SR itself is very natural sounding. For his purposes, he's probably better off with a general purpose compressor to reduce the boominess of the low strings and raise the volume of the E and B strings and add a touch of sustain. The Boss CP1-X Multiband Compressor is very good for acoustic slide. 
  • My partner uses the Slide Rig Compact Deluxe with her Gibson Advanced Jumbo, and it's great - just keep the level of the second compressor at zero and it works pretty much just like the CD anyway. She tends to use the blend at about 50/50. 

I love having the option of quickly dialling in the second compressor for slide and for ambient, spacy stuff. I'd personally go for the Slide Rig CD as it's more versatile overall. 
    but the old slide rig has 2 footswitches? surely more flexible?
  • JDE said:
    To be honest (name's on the tin), I'm not sure why non-slide players would consider the SR. it's a great pedal but it's super-specific, if that makes sense. For general playing it's too much, unless you're running a very clean amp with single coils. 
    For acoustic lap it would probably not be a good fit. If you sustain acoustic too much it sounds very artificial, even though the SR itself is very natural sounding. For his purposes, he's probably better off with a general purpose compressor to reduce the boominess of the low strings and raise the volume of the E and B strings and add a touch of sustain. The Boss CP1-X Multiband Compressor is very good for acoustic slide. 
    ooh didn't know there was a multiband boss

I think sliderig on acoustic would be a special effect, something like a Daniel Lanois trick, not a purist acoustic player's style
    I think he needs the pseudo-studio-comp aspect, i.e. the Cali76 CD deluxe

on recordings though, I'm a big fan of multibands
  • JDE said:
    Couldn't disagree with this more. It works perfectly well for non-slide applications.

The differences between it and the Cali are negligible, sound-wise. Though the second stage is a huge bonus, IMO. It's the controls that will make the difference.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    JDE said:
    Couldn't disagree with this more. It works perfectly well for non-slide applications.

I think I just prefer the sound of an optical pedal for general playing. I'm not sure if I was using a Les Paul and a Deluxe I'd be able to use the SR for straight playing, whereas something like the Maxon Optical I could probably make a better fit for me.
  • JDE said:

The differences between it and the Cali are negligible, sound-wise. Though the second stage is a huge bonus, IMO. It's the controls that will make the difference.
    Precisely, if you don't want the second compression stage you just turn it down! 80% of the time I don't use it. 
  • JDE said:
    JDE said:

I think I just prefer the sound of an optical pedal for general playing. I'm not sure if I was using a Les Paul and a Deluxe I'd be able to use the SR for straight playing, whereas something like the Maxon Optical I could probably make a better fit for me.
    Fair enough, mate.

• well guys for me, i have the SRCD on 1 of my boards as i like the 2in1 feature. the cali sounds the same to me (there supposed to be both the same comp!) but has more tweekability. i decided on the SR over the cali, because i dont need to mess with the attack/release thing and like to be able to dial in a 2nd stage of comp instead. both though are amazing sounding comps so you wont be disappointed. just go for the 1 you like the features of.
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
  • well guys for me, i have the SRCD on 1 of my boards as i like the 2in1 feature. the cali sounds the same to me (there supposed to be both the same comp!) but has more tweekability. i decided on the SR over the cali, because i dont need to mess with the attack/release thing and like to be able to dial in a 2nd stage of comp instead. both though are amazing sounding comps so you wont be disappointed. just go for the 1 you like the features of.
    I agree for electrics

For my acoustic-playing mate, I think the SR would have too much gain, and the Cali76 has those extra tweaks available
  • Not sure I understand - the SRCD doesn't have any more gain than the Compact Deluxe?
  • Not sure I understand - the SRCD doesn't have any more gain than the Compact Deluxe?
    it has chained compressors, so should have more gain, I thought that was the whole point?
  • But you can just switch one off completely and then it sounds exactly the same as the Compact Deluxe. That's the point!
  • @StuartMac290 is spot on, you don't need to use the second stage if you don't want to. A number of us have said this now, they're exactly the same. SR has a second stage to use or not to use. The Cali has tweakier controls. 

• @StuartMac290 is spot on, you don't need to use the second stage if you don't want to. A number of us have said this now, they're exactly the same. SR has a second stage to use or not to use. The Cali has tweakier controls. 
    not sure why you think I am disagreeing

as I understand
    SR = 2 x Cali without the extra 2 controls
    SR minus the second stage = Cal without the extra 2 controls

i.e. SR has more gain with both channels on,
    Cali has more tweakability