Effective Lead Boost for Marshall JMP 2203

What's Hot
HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
edited September 2017 in Amps
Im looking at ways to get an effective lead boost for solos using my Marshall JMP 2203. The problem I have is, being a single channel amp and playing with Power section overdriven using an attenuator (Marshall Power Brake), any overdrive pedals up front just increases gain and very little volume boost. I dont want to mod the amp with an effects loop which probably wouldnt work for me anyway with overdriven power section. The reason Im struggling is our Rhythm guitarist is using a JCM800 2203 which sounds huge and very similar to my amp. We have tried eq'ing them differently but to no avail. I have tried Eq pedals to give an upper mid lift which works but not quite enough. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BadCat Unleash V2
    Its an attenuator, Loadbox, power amp and has 2 foot switchable master volumes for solo boosts. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Or just get a sound man who knows your songs to bump you up when it's solo time. 
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    edited September 2017
    That Unleash looks a good bit of kit. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    Simple. Just get another 2203 and cab, and an A/A+B switch.

:)

More seriously, a switchable attenuator. If you don't want to spend as much as the Unleash, it might be possible to adapt the Powerbrake in some way - what setting do you typically use it at?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HHwarner said:
    That Unleash looks a good bit of kit. 
    My mates got one he uses it on his single channel Marshalls. 
    edited September 2017
    ICBM said:

More seriously, a switchable attenuator. If you don't want to spend as much as the Unleash, it might be possible to adapt the Powerbrake in some way - what setting do you typically use it at?
    Funnily enough I have a 2204 which I take as backup but but my poor back wouldnt cope with the extra cab, neither have I got space in the car ;-)

I generally use it at -9db ie 3 clicks down at most gigs
  • HHwarner said:
    ICBM said:

Funnily enough I have a 2204 which I take as backup but but my poor back wouldnt cope with the extra cab, neither have I got space in the car ;-)

Stereo 4x12??
    edited September 2017
    HHwarner said:
    ICBM said:

Stereo 4x12??
    My 4x12 has 4 x 25W greenbacks in so not big enough for Stereo with that amp Im afraid. Suppose if I pull 2 valves and run it at 50 watts I might get away with it!!!!
  • HHwarner said:
    HHwarner said:
    ICBM said:

Stereo 4x12??
    My 4x12 has 4 x 25W greenbacks in so not big enough for Stereo with that amp Im afraid. Suppose if I pull 2 valves and run it at 50 watts I might get away with it!!!!
    Ohhhh still risky I'd say. 
    @icbm?
    edited September 2017

Ohhhh still risky I'd say. 
    @icbm?
    My thinking too especially as I would be taking the attenuator out of the equation for leads. The 2203 would probably be ok @ 50watts for rhythm as I would have it attenuated but the Un attenuated 2204 would be the killer
    edited September 2017
    This has me thinking now, I have got a 4x12 with 4 x G12-65's in I could wire that for stereo by sticking another jack socket on it. Trouble is I love my Greenbacks and although the 65's are similar, they aint got the same feel.
    -9dB is low enough that you could add a footswitched dummy load in parallel with the cab, without affecting the impedance the amp sees too much. All you need is a long cable, a pedal casing (bigger is better, it will get warm/hot), a 15-ohm 50W resistor and a footswitch. Plug it into the second speaker jack of the Powerbrake. Resistor engaged - 3dB reduction.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Get a Metro zero loss FX loop fitted and use either a boost in the loop or a passive volume cut
  • John_A said:
    Get a Metro zero loss FX loop fitted and use either a boost in the loop or a passive volume cut
    this.

I have one in my 2204 (and in a 2203 before that) and you can get a massive volume boost even at band levels with a simple BOSS GE7

• ICBM said:
    -9dB is low enough that you could add a footswitched dummy load in parallel with the cab, without affecting the impedance the amp sees too much. All you need is a long cable, a pedal casing (bigger is better, it will get warm/hot), a 15-ohm 50W resistor and a footswitch. Plug it into the second speaker jack of the Powerbrake. Resistor engaged - 3dB reduction.
    I guess I would have to run at -6 for lead and with resistor engaged this would take it down to my usual -9 for rhythm. would that be a safe mismatch?
  • John_A said:
    Is there anyone in the uk sell these. I wouldnt want to drill holes in the chassis thats the only thing worrying me
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I'm sure one of the amp guys on the forum could do it @Modulus_Amps @riftamps 

HHwarner said:

I guess I would have to run at -6 for lead and with resistor engaged this would take it down to my usual -9 for rhythm. would that be a safe mismatch?
    Yes. It's only if you had it at -3 that it might be a bit of an issue, and even then not very much.

Basically, at -6dB the attenuator is 3/4 of the load the amp sees - the speaker is only 1/4. So halving the effective impedance of the speaker (by adding an equal dummy load in parallel) will only reduce the impedance the amp sees by about 1/8. Slightly oversimplified maths, but close enough for rock'n'roll!

You could also use a dummy load of 8 ohms if 15 doesn't make enough difference, for a drop of about -5dB.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    Not quite the same but I'm having good results using a tubescreamer into the front end of my Mini Jubilee - will eventually replace with an SD1 which seems to be universally loved as a boost for Marshalls. I don't have a 2nd guitarist to get over though so ymmv. 
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 832
    edited September 2017
    I have a 2203x reissue. It has an effect loop so I use an MXR CAE line boost in the loop for even more volume. I set the amp gain to about a quarter past the hour- volume to taste and give it the berries with either a Marshall gov’nor, an OCD, a waza SD-1 or a Riot depending on how lairy I want to be! Sometimes I stack em too! Sounds superb!