Wiring a cab

What's Hot
thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
Just bought an extension cab on the bay.  looks like it has a jack plate, but no jack socket in place.   Happy to wire that up, but just wondering what mono jack input sockets are the best?

something like this? Neutrik NMJ4HC-S   or something else?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neutrik-NMJ4HC-S-1-4-Mono-Jack-Socket-Switched-Panel-Chassis-Mount-Chrome-/282211082784?hash=item41b5176220:g:~K0AAOSw-CpX96iv
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    These are much better.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIFF-ELECTRONIC-COMPONENTS-S2SNS-SOCKET-1-4-JACK-UNSWITCHED-2POLE-/171118832795?hash=item27d77a2c9b:g:~t4AAOxyoVZTIj~8

Only a small difference in some ways, but having the threaded bushing as part of the frame rather than part of the nut is much stronger if the cable gets tugged.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ok thanks John.

One more question -  regarrding wire - I've got some thickish guitar hook up wire lying around (22awg i think),   is that going to be ok,     or should I use lamp chord wire, or an  old guitar cable  or anything else?

22awg is a bit thin, but should be enough unless it's very high power - guitar cable is too thin really. Lamp cord or ripped-down old mains cable (any gauge) is also fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

:)

A bit overkill, but not too bad. The only problem is whether you can get it through the holes on the jack and speaker terminals, but I think you will with that. You shouldn't just solder it on 'flat', solder doesn't make a very robust mechanical joint and they can crack and fall off.

• So just to check I can use a kettle lead or figure of 8 cable and that would be fine?

I do have some 18awg hook up wire is that goimg to be perfectly safe?? 
    Yes. Don't over-think it too much ;). Anything where the cores are about the right thickness to fit in the holes in the terminals is fine. If it's too thin it will be obvious and if it's too thick it won't fit :).

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    Any 2 core cable that is 22AWG or above would be fine for your amp, I have some here and sockets I can post up if needed.

Those CAA cabs I did recently had 8AWG cable supplied with them, pure silliness
  • cheers guys.  I think I have everything ready to go.  So keep an eye out for mushroom clouds in aberdeenshire!!

I did the fatal error of looking at american forums about the guages so was just wanting to get some sensible confirmation...