Any Dimarzio Injector (DP423) users?

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
edited September 2017 in Guitar
Just interested if anyone uses one of these in the bridge position with regular single coils in the neck and middle i.e. nothing too over-cooked and how they work on cleans, overdriven and inbetween sounds?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited September 2017
    They come as standard on Ibanez Fireman guitars- I had one: injector bridge and neck with an area 67 in the middle. So obviously my comments relate to that combination. 

I liked the pickups quite a lot.
    Clean: They're not particularly "stratty"- more pronounced mids than treble to my ears. They're almost P90ish in tone, but with a bit more bite (& obviously hum cancelling). Very useable. 
    Gain- Brilliant. no hint of mud at all, they're VERY clear even at silly levels. 
    the bridge and middle combination gave a satisfying strat "quack", but with a bit more grunt- still good for funky stuff, I used it for Chilis songs regularly. 

Heres an Andertons video (sorry) where Chappers, Lee and Rabea play a fireman, I think it gives a reasonable representation of what they're like under different conditions. *

*edit- just relistened to the video. They all use quite a lot of gain. I shall see if I can find one with less...
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited September 2017
    @fretmeister has some IIRC
  • I have also tried the DiMarzio Injector pickups in the sexting of an Ibanez Fireman guitar. The pair go nicely with the set neck mahogany construction of this model.

What I have not done is try the Injector pickups in Stratocaster surroundings. 

The OP seems to be leaning towards installing one replacement pickup in the bridge/Treble position of a three pickup guitar. For that application, my recommendation is the Seymour Duncan STK-10b YJM Fury.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited September 2017
    Thanks @stimpsonslostson - yeah, a bit gainy in the vid but I'm hearing some single coil quality coming through and your clean description sounds fine to me and probably having something just a little different to my other guitars, both ultra quacky, might be nice. Oh, and this would be going on a hardtail Strat, too.

Ta
  • I have also tried the DiMarzio Injector pickups in the sexting of an Ibanez Fireman guitar. The pair go nicely with the set neck mahogany construction of this model.

What I have not done is try the Injector pickups in Stratocaster surroundings. 

The OP seems to be leaning towards installing one replacement pickup in the bridge/Treble position of a three pickup guitar. For that application, my recommendation is the Seymour Duncan STK-10b YJM Fury.
    in the what now?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • I have also tried the DiMarzio Injector pickups in the sexting of an Ibanez Fireman guitar. 
    @Bridgehouse is this a bass player thing??
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • I have also tried the DiMarzio Injector pickups in the sexting of an Ibanez Fireman guitar. 
    Possibly the most telling autocorrect I've seen in a while?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If it is mate, I'm blissfully unaware of it. 

"And the Lord saith into Abraham, "taketh the single coil pickup and split it thus, maketh it into two parts, so that of two pieces it is thus made and verily I say unto you, it shall bucketh any hum you may have. And this shall be the only pickup that thou shalt have, or need." And thus Abraham tooketh the pickup and split it, and used it thusly to have no hum in his bass sound. But his cousin Jeremiah did not agree with the Lord, and he installeth all manner and plethora of pickup into his bass. And the Lord smiteth Jeremiah and madeth him to play slap."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I have an Injector bridge pickup in my Warmoth Strat, paired with Bulldog Texas Floods, sounds great!

The Injector isn't typically Strat, it doesn't do a convincing Hank tone.. but add some gain and it's amazing, everything you want a strat bridge pickup to do.. with very little noise.
    @Pete24v - how would you describe the clean sound on it and is it seriously hot in comparison to the Texas Floods? My other 2 pickups on the Strat are low output Robert Cray pickups
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I would not say they are seriously hot, they match well output wise to to the Texas Floods.

The clean sound is fine, it's just not as bright as typical strat bridge pickups.. Which I think is a good thing. 
    Thanks Pete and your description suits me, too.

Much appreciated