Worktop Express - Any Good?

What's Hot

Been thinking about getting a beech worktop to use as the top for a new workbench, and this place...

http://www.worktop-express.co.uk/

...seems to offer very good prices. I'm looking at a 3m length of the prime beech, 720mm wide and 40mm thick. It's supplied untreated, apparently (and I plan to oil it myself). The T&Cs has some stuff about accepting minor cracks, etc, because it's timber, but it's not clear if that's just arse-covering or indicative of the typical condition of what they deliver.

They also have a cutting service - 15 quid for a single cut across the width, which I'd be willing to pay to save myself the hassle of cutting it down to 2.5m in limited space, but apparently the 27 quid oiling option is mandatory if it's cut, which I'm not so keen on paying. The discrepancy between that and the standard ones being untreated remains to be resolved (I've asked them to explain).

Anyone used them? Too good to be true, or a good company with good prices?

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16077
    open end grain can cause the wood to expand if it is not kept temperature stable for a period after cuttng ie transported straight away in damp conditions especially if it is in a number of staves
  • I recently used them for my kitchen worktops/upstands/splashbacks

Great quality and was packaged very well too. I'd use them again 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6095
    I too bought an oak worktop for my kitchen from them about a month ago. Very good service and the delivery was very professional. You need to prepare a space to store it when its delivered cos those solid hardwood tops are very heavy.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • worktop body wood makes no difference to food taste and I can prove this by science as I am an ex physics teacher.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

worktop body wood makes no difference to food taste and I can prove this by science as I am an ex physics teacher.

It's for holding up a lathe and a milling machine. I don't care what it tastes like.

Nomad

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27969
    When I made my new workbench I used two 40mm thicknesses of their beech (not the prime beech - didn't seem worth the extra for a bench). Seems excellent quality, no splits, friendly delivery people who got straight on with it.

Oiling isn't a major faff, but given the cost of the oil and the need to do a few coats £27 sounds worth it to me.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    edited September 2017
    We got our kitchen work tops from them, we bought full stave iroko. They were nce quality, delivered on time and their prices are very good. There weren't any splits or defects that I noticed, although we've added a few dings since they were put in, it just adds character as far as I'm concerned though. The chippy who installed them recommended Osmo oil, it's a wax/oil finish. I put 5 coats on first, then I just put a single coat on once a year to keep it looking smart. 
  • Nomad said:

worktop body wood makes no difference to food taste and I can prove this by science as I am an ex physics teacher.

It's for holding up a lathe and a milling machine. I don't care what it tastes like.

Shame to see such a decline in the pride for ones work.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Belated thanks, all. I went with the cut and oil thing, and have just built the machine bench...

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/116434/new-bench-machine-bench?new=1

I also ordered an untreated length of the 620mm deep beech with the intention of making a woodworking bench. My experience is similar - seems like good quality stuff and the prices are very good. I also got free delivery because they had an offer for orders over £300 (part of the reason I decided to get the makings for the woodworking bench top at the same time). I kept that as untreated because the two layers will glued together (it was delivered in 3m one piece, straight onto the portable benches I had set up outside, and was chopped in half and punted upstairs within minutes of it arriving).

Nomad

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    their van drivers drive fast...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>