Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Band Dilemma

What's Hot
professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
edited September 2017 in Live
ok right good people of the internets. 

Help me solve my moral conundrum

Im in a band, we have no drummer, we have 2 songs, and at least two albums worth of embryonic ideas 90% of which I've written, I can't find a drummer for love nor, well not actual money but you get the idea. 

I have a potential band, its got a full line up, with a free private practice room where I can safely leave my gear, it's 80's rock and metal covers. 

What would you do? 
Ive been trying to get an originals band going for 2 years this Oct coming, every step has been painfully brutally slow and frustrating, I'm the only one that's seeming to try and find a drummer or organise the others, book rehearsal spaces etc. 

Ive never known it to be soooo hard to get a band going. 

I feel like like all I want to do is just play, have fun and unwind sometimes, without all this stress and frustration. 

I dont really want to play covers, in fact last time I did it damn near made me give up guitar totally, but that was wedding band pub stuff. 

I honestly don't know what to do. 
" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    You have the songs for the original, so they’re in the bank so to speak. Play with the metal band.  You can get back to the original stuff whenever you get the opportunity 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    edited September 2017
    Ooo i got the feels for you dude

Been in that situation, didn't conclude well..  Had a great thing going with another guitarist, we had written loads of great material, had singer/bassist etc... We sort of had a drummer.. but we just couldn't work with him..  i ended up playing drums.. i'm not a great drummer but i can keep in time and add a few fancy bits..

Didn't really go to well.. as when we finally started practising for reals turned out the singer was really, really shit. 

We split blaming my lack of drumming skills as the scapegoat.. We're back to me and the other guitarist playing stuff trying to get a band sorted. We're currently recording all parts first and doing a mixture of me drumming and superior drummer before restarting the search.. 

To conclude.. Look like you're the new drummer! 
  • LuttiS said:

Been in that situation, didn't conclude well..  Had a great thing going with another guitarist, we had written loads of great material, had singer/bassist etc... We sort of had a drummer.. but we just couldn't work with him..  i ended up playing drums.. i'm not a great drummer but i can keep in time and add a few fancy bits..

Didn't really go to well.. as when we finally started practising for reals turned out the singer was really, really shit. 

We split blaming my lack of drumming skills as the scapegoat.. We're back to me and the other guitarist playing stuff trying to get a band sorted. We're currently recording all parts first and doing a mixture of me drumming and superior drummer before restarting the search.. 

Ha!! Whilst I can play a bit, I'm nowhere good enough to play the bastard time sigs and changes I write. 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    LuttiS said:

Ha!! Whilst I can play a bit, I'm nowhere good enough to play the bastard time sigs and changes I write. 
    Like i said.. didn't conclude well :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretty much every band I've been in I've put together myself. I was never lucky enough to know a local drummer/bassist/singer and just call them up to ask if they wanted to be in my bed. All members were found via auditions by placing ads on the internet. It took 18 months to transition from an old band to a new one, and that was hard. Chasing people up when they didn't answer messages was the biggest drainer, then sorting out times for rehearsals and stuff like that.
    Once it all came together though it felt worth it but the process isn't a quick one, you have to get up to speed with the songs and then sort out the gigs later, when you've been writing and rehearsing for months. The last band I played in took 6 months to write and rehearse a live set.

Ironically the band I'm involved in now I have known the members for about 6 years and always kept in touch. One tour they asked me to come along as a guitar tech so I went out on the road and it was awesome. Everyone was so cool, welcoming and the whole thing was a right laugh. It was like the perfect lineup as I knew I got on with everyone personally, we hang out all the time and can stand being around each other. We're all mates first and foremost and its great to be involved in the setup. Now I am the official dep guy filling in on any of the guitar roles when needed. I'm also involved in the writing for the new album, and everything feels right, and natural.

If you have the fire in the belly keep hunting for members, get an ad going. I had immense determination to get a lineup together back then and I did it, but it all went to pot in the end. Being in a band is very draining sometimes, but you can do it if you really put in the energy and time.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretty much every band I've been in I've put together myself. I was never lucky enough to know a local drummer/bassist/singer and just call them up to ask if they wanted to be in my bed. All members were found via auditions by placing ads on the internet. It took 18 months to transition from an old band to a new one, and that was hard. Chasing people up when they didn't answer messages was the biggest drainer, then sorting out times for rehearsals and stuff like that.
    Once it all came together though it felt worth it but the process isn't a quick one, you have to get up to speed with the songs and then sort out the gigs later, when you've been writing and rehearsing for months. The last band I played in took 6 months to write and rehearse a live set.

Ironically the band I'm involved in now I have known the members for about 6 years and always kept in touch. One tour they asked me to come along as a guitar tech so I went out on the road and it was awesome. Everyone was so cool, welcoming and the whole thing was a right laugh. It was like the perfect lineup as I knew I got on with everyone personally, we hang out all the time and can stand being around each other. We're all mates first and foremost and its great to be involved in the setup. Now I am the official dep guy filling in on any of the guitar roles when needed. I'm also involved in the writing for the new album, and everything feels right, and natural.

If you have the fire in the belly keep hunting for members, get an ad going. I had immense determination to get a lineup together back then and I did it, but it all went to pot in the end. Being in a band is very draining sometimes, but you can do it if you really put in the energy and time.
    That sounds fun, I'm just getting frustrated and down about it. 

The other guitarist/singer I was in my first band with and we gel so well, the bassist..... I'm not sure, he says all the right things but then isn't available or moans like hell about rehearsals, I've put adverts out for drummers and there is just no one.

The singer wants to work with a guy we know who runs a studio, who can record and program drums for us to get a 'calling card' for sourcing a drummer with. 

But really I just want to be in a band playing in a room having a laugh and making awesome original music.

Ive found a drummer I used to work with but he's notoriously over committed to work and outside projects, so it never took off, he's hopefully going to have a 2nd jam with us on Sunday, assuming he's not busy, he's gonna let me know....... maybe. 

Its all so much fucking hard work. 
  • It gets increasingly difficult to find anyone to make originals with over about age 25 if you're not already established in a music scene.  

My honest opinion is continue to write, and record as high quality as you can.  Anyone who is good at an instrument can be picky about the projects they join, especially with originals, and your music is your advert as again anyone decent won't just join on the speculation you might be able to write a few tracks.  When we did a music video, the next time we needed to look for members we got a much higher quality of musician applying in general than when we posted up rehearsal recordings on SoundCloud for example.

At the end of the day you should do whatever is going to make you happy.  If you really want to do originals then you just have to accept that things can begin at a glacial pace, focus on writing and fill in the positions as the opportunities arise.
  • It gets increasingly difficult to find anyone to make originals with over about age 25 if you're not already established in a music scene.  

My honest opinion is continue to write, and record as high quality as you can.  Anyone who is good at an instrument can be picky about the projects they join, especially with originals, and your music is your advert as again anyone decent won't just join on the speculation you might be able to write a few tracks.  When we did a music video, the next time we needed to look for members we got a much higher quality of musician applying in general than when we posted up rehearsal recordings on SoundCloud for example.

At the end of the day you should do whatever is going to make you happy.  If you really want to do originals then you just have to accept that things can begin at a glacial pace, focus on writing and fill in the positions as the opportunities arise.
    Of course you are right I just find it so frustrating that so few people want to play originals?!
    gah!!!

:'( 
  • Play in other band, you get better by gigging, meet other musicians and gain valuable contacts etc. In mean time, keep looking for right players for your originals band. 
    Best of both worlds. 
  • Play in other band, you get better by gigging, meet other musicians and gain valuable contacts etc. In mean time, keep looking for right players for your originals band. 
    Best of both worlds. 
    Except I can't spare the time for two projects. 
    Its either/or unfortunately 

im 38 I've been gigging since I was 16. 
    Ive been out of the scene the last 6 years or so, but I know a lot of musicians in my area, I'd like to think I have a reasonable standing as a player, but finding it super tough to get anything off the ground these days. 

That sounds fun, I'm just getting frustrated and down about it. 

The other guitarist/singer I was in my first band with and we gel so well, the bassist..... I'm not sure, he says all the right things but then isn't available or moans like hell about rehearsals, I've put adverts out for drummers and there is just no one.

The singer wants to work with a guy we know who runs a studio, who can record and program drums for us to get a 'calling card' for sourcing a drummer with. 

But really I just want to be in a band playing in a room having a laugh and making awesome original music.

Ive found a drummer I used to work with but he's notoriously over committed to work and outside projects, so it never took off, he's hopefully going to have a 2nd jam with us on Sunday, assuming he's not busy, he's gonna let me know....... maybe. 

Its all so much fucking hard work. 
    It's cool how it's all worked out, all I see it as is helping my mates out and having a good time. Music is supposed to be enjoyable and when you have the right people then it's very satisfying. We're all committed and passionate whilst being chilled and know how to have a laugh when the time is right. In fact 80% of time you spend with your band mates won't be on stage, gigs are only a small part of it and I've learnt to enjoy all aspects of it, writing, rehearsals, loading gear in and out, recording in the studio etc. 

Its all about the people in the band though, dynamics and personality. I hate egos and politics, they ruin bands for me. The last band I was in I didn't get on with the bassist as he was full of himself and a control freak. He was a replacement for the original bassist and was never right for the lineup I felt. It didn't really go anywhere so I left earlier this year. 

It it is hard work but also very rewarding if you can find the right people, I've been in countless lineups and experienced every sort of personality known to man lol
  • I wonder what the future is in live originals tbh. The other problem as a mid-30s is persuading people to come out for shows  if they finish after 9pm. Im kinda thinking maybe live streaming is the way to go with more emphasis on high production values....although i do love playing properly live.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Buy a tele, a Princeton reverb and start playing country, the drummers will come flocking to you! ;)

On a serious note, hold on in there dude, these things take a frustrating amount of time to come together but you know that reward of playing original music is always worth it.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited September 2017
    I have been in two long term bands who had not had drummers and really don't  need them we program our own , it's so easy to do and to use live, we won't even consider a real drummer now, it's so easy to make beats and make them sound realistic if needed, forget a  drummer and just buy a sampler! 
  • TBH I hate playing live, gigs are always stressful events for me, an hours adrenaline onstage bookended by hours of driving, lugging, worrying, analysis, self criticism etc. 

I just want want to get in a room with a full band write awesome songs and make a noise, I'm willing to compromise by playing live because you have to, to get anyone to join you. 

But id rather write, record, release and then play decent venues should we get a following. 
    Maybe 5/6 a year. 
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    don't give up - i play original songs at 50 ( supporting space next month ) Took me 30 years to get my band out playing again. We did a gig in honour of our mate who died and just kept going with my son playing bass. I still play in a covers band but its  nice to do stuff you wrote 30 odd years ago.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26570
    edited September 2017
    Learn how to program realistic drums, write all the songs and parts and get shit recorded. Then, once you've got three or four tracks recorded to a decent level of quality, start shopping it about and start recruiting for a drummer.

That way, people know what to expect. Also...you're unlikely to find a drummer who doesn't want to play live, so you're probably going to have to compromise on that.

Failing that, ditch the idea and start a Mastodon tribute band. Much more fun than wedding/function covers.
    <space for hire>
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24292
    TBH I hate playing live, gigs are always stressful events for me, an hours adrenaline onstage bookended by hours of driving, lugging, worrying, analysis, self criticism etc. 

I just want want to get in a room with a full band write awesome songs and make a noise, I'm willing to compromise by playing live because you have to, to get anyone to join you. 

But id rather write, record, release and then play decent venues should we get a following. 
    Maybe 5/6 a year. 
    Er....  how do you plan to get a following if you don't want to gig regularly ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • been exactly there. I was in an originals band; we were doing pretty well, we'd written loads of songs, and we'd just played at a big music festival - and then the singer promptly decided to leave. We just couldn't find another singer after that (metal, but not some bloke who just screams and growls, so proper singing). Real shame. At the same time, I got an offer to join a band very similar to the one you've got the opportunity to join, so I did that after meeting them. As long as they're nice people and it seems fun I'd probably do it if I were you. You can keep looking out for a drummer for the other band and write in the meantime. Yes, it can be a pain in the arse sometimes, and I sort of agree about the gigging thing - we're doing a completely pointless gig this weekend that has the worst organisation I've ever seen - but it'll keep you playing with people.

• ...we're doing a completely pointless gig this weekend that has the worst organisation I've ever seen - but it'll keep you playing with people.
    Thing is, I don't think any gig's pointless (except acoustic ones, because they're boring). The biggest benefit of gigs for original bands is that no song is really ready for recording until it's been gigged at least half a dozen times, IMO.
    <space for hire>