Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Trek Discovery

What's Hot

Comments

• Is the Klingon stuff at the beginning of episode 2 supposed to have subtitles? They're not there and it doesn't make sense!
    Never mind, sorted it.

Just imagine he's ordering Thai food on a really bad phone line.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    Fretwired said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Until it went all Timer-Wimey (death knell of any SF series) I quite liked Enterprise
    The problem for purists was the poor story arc that dragged on interminably and was poor in the end. They met the Borg and yet Picard had no data on them - unlikely given the tech available. The biggest problem was the cast ... there's more charisma in a morgue.
    Ok, I get that, well apart from Jolene Blalock ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    edited September 2017
    Jalapeno said:
    Until it went all Timer-Wimey (death knell of any SF series) I quite liked Enterprise

I don't think I ever watched Enterprise, but I think there ought to be a law: If it's not about time travel right out of the gate, it shouldn't be about time travel. Doctor Who gets a pass, Harry Potter doesn't.

Special exemptions for stories where time travel is a plot twist. Harry Potter still doesn't get a pass.
    For me, the general rule is "If you can't do time travel as well as Continuum, don't do time travel".

Even Doctor Who doesn't get a pass on that basis.

EDIT: The only good time travel story in Star Trek was Voyager's Year of Hell.
    <space for hire>
  • Jalapeno said:
    Fretwired said:
    The biggest problem was the cast ... there's more charisma in a morgue.

Those weren't charisma. ;)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Jalapeno said:
    Fretwired said:
    The biggest problem was the cast ... there's more charisma in a morgue.

Those weren't charisma. ;)
    Worked for me ! ;)

Feedback
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

That was a good story, although not technically time travel. The professor and his team on the alien ship were messing with time - Voyager always remained in the correct timeline .. things changed around them. depending on who the prof and his team wiped out in the past.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:

That was a good story, although not technically time travel. The professor and his team on the alien ship were messing with time - Voyager always remained in the correct timeline .. things changed around them. depending on who the prof and his team wiped out in the past.
    True - however, my point is that it set up the rules of time travel, and stuck to them without any exceptions or plot holes. Doctor Who, for example, totally ignores all of it - the rules there are effectively that there aren't any rules and causality either doesn't exist or is totally irrelevant. The Terminator films - after T2 - change the rules so often that it's impossible to follow. The only element of that franchise after T2 which seemed to want to sort itself out was The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which appeared to want to go down the same route as Continuum before it was canned.
    <space for hire>
    Fretwired said:

True - however, my point is that it set up the rules of time travel, and stuck to them without any exceptions or plot holes. Doctor Who, for example, totally ignores all of it - the rules there are effectively that there aren't any rules and causality either doesn't exist or is totally irrelevant. The Terminator films - after T2 - change the rules so often that it's impossible to follow. The only element of that franchise after T2 which seemed to want to sort itself out was The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which appeared to want to go down the same route as Continuum before it was canned.
    Agree with you there ... I thought the Voyager series was pretty strong along with most of the Next Generation series. Doctor Who is just pants these days ...

edited September 2017
    Star Trek trivia time.

Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine in Voyager) was married to a budding politician named Jack Ryan. She claimed he forced her to commit sex acts in public including in a sex club. At the time Ryan was running for the US Senate and when this was published he was forced to pull out of the election leaving a guy called Barack Obama as the winner. The rest is history.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscream said:
    The Terminator films - after T2 - change the rules so often that it's impossible to follow. The only element of that franchise after T2 which seemed to want to sort itself out was The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which appeared to want to go down the same route as Continuum before it was canned.
    The terrifying thing is they are now making a SIXTH terminator film, I'll give them points for persistence.

Half the problem with, to give examples of long-running franchises with recent stupid installments (say, Terminator Geniyassysys and Alien:Covenant) is that they are so badly thought through and written, they make basically no sense, especially Genitalsys, it's so nonsensical it actually works well as a spoof.

Discovery so far does not fall into this trap.  They did not have enough build up to really earn Michael's "big decision" at the end of episode one, and the Klingon makeup stops the actors emoting, but overall not too bad at all so far.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    digitalscream said:
    The Terminator films - after T2 - change the rules so often that it's impossible to follow. The only element of that franchise after T2 which seemed to want to sort itself out was The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which appeared to want to go down the same route as Continuum before it was canned.
    The terrifying thing is they are now making a SIXTH terminator film, I'll give them points for persistence.

Half the problem with, to give examples of long-running franchises with recent stupid installments (say, Terminator Geniyassysys and Alien:Covenant) is that they are so badly thought through and written, they make basically no sense, especially Genitalsys, it's so nonsensical it actually works well as a spoof.

Discovery so far does not fall into this trap.  They did not have enough build up to really earn Michael's "big decision" at the end of episode one, and the Klingon makeup stops the actors emoting, but overall not too bad at all so far.
    The next Terminator film has promise as Arnie and Linda are back and Cameron is onboard. They've also junked all the films after T2 and the new one is a sequel to T2. Filming to start spring 2018.

• digitalscream said:

T6 is actually meta-time-travel - it appears that they're doing a direct sequel to T2, thus pretending that we never saw the three films since...
    <space for hire>
    I wish I'd never seen them !

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I enjoyed Salvation and Genisys for what they were; brain-off action films. In my mind they're nothing to do with the perfection that was T1 and T2. T3 didn't happen...

I'm yet to watch new Star Trek. I got a bit fed up of the recent films, so I'm hoping this gives me my fix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched the first two episodes of Discovery yesterday with my 11 year old son and we both loved it. It looks fantastic and the story, which obviously sets the scene for the rest of the series, was pretty good. I find the trick to enjoying sci-fi is not to over think it. It's only pretend after all. I'm looking forward to the next one!
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    digitalscream said:

The next Terminator film has promise as Arnie and Linda are back and Cameron is onboard. They've also junked all the films after T2 and the new one is a sequel to T2. Filming to start spring 2018.
    I know and will walk into the cinema with an open mind.

However, I can't help but feel it is going to suck.  I can't really see myself wanting to watch four more bluddy Avatar movies either.
  • Fretwired said:
    digitalscream said:

However, I can't help but feel it is going to suck.  I can't really see myself wanting to watch four more bluddy Avatar movies either.
    I'm choosing optimism this time. I'm not sure how justified that is, though, given that Arnie's 70yrs old...and Linda Hamilton's not far behind.

Terminator: The Retirement Years?
    <space for hire>
  • I watched the first two episodes of Discovery yesterday with my 11 year old son and we both loved it. It looks fantastic and the story, which obviously sets the scene for the rest of the series, was pretty good. I find the trick to enjoying sci-fi is not to over think it. It's only pretend after all. I'm looking forward to the next one!
    So what does make you think then? 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    WezV said:
    "we do not discuss it with outsiders"

Did nobody get the Warf quote, highly relevant to the changing appearance of Klingons?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    digitalscream said:

I'm choosing optimism this time. I'm not sure how justified that is, though, given that Arnie's 70yrs old...and Linda Hamilton's not far behind.

Terminator: The Retirement Years?
    If they actually did that as a spoof it would be great...

" I need your clothes, your zimmer frame, and a big nappy..."