Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Trek Discovery

What's Hot

Comments

• WezV said:
    WezV said:
    "we do not discuss it with outsiders"

Did nobody get the Warf quote, highly relevant to the changing appearance of Klingons?
    I did :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I didn't pick up on it :(

I had assumed that the TNG era Klingons were what they originally looked like, but I guess they could still be reverting.
    My V key is broken
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    holnrew said:
    I didn't pick up on it :(

I had assumed that the TNG era Klingons were what they originally looked like, but I guess they could still be reverting.
    You know, I wasn't aware enterprise had felt the need to do a two parter on the changing appearance of Klingons.  I stopped watching it.  It's the only series I have not watched multiple times.  I think it lost me at the theme tune.

Worf's  one liner is enough for me.  Trek shouldn't take itself too seriously

• RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    WezV said:
    "we do not discuss it with outsiders"

Did nobody get the Warf quote, highly relevant to the changing appearance of Klingons?

I did.. And was actually going to say that with my old Klingon pic... Only just got on the computer now though..

That is the trouble with tribbles  :)

• Anyone watching?

I'm rather enjoying it so far. Yes the tech for the period is off and the Klingons look weird but hey...
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Is this before or after Next Generation can’t quite work it out.
    but good so far.
    Season 2 is the expanse was great at well.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    edited October 2017
    It's supposed to be 10 years before the original Kirk-era Star Trek I believe. I can't get into it; once you get used to Netflix-style program quality this stuff, obviously made for broadcast TV, just feels so old-fashioned. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Right. It's not bad. But it's just a modern action TV show in Star Trek cosplay.
    4 episodes in and I'm standing by this. Im enjoying it as generic TV-scifi, but it doesn't remote feel like Trek.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Right. It's not bad. But it's just a modern action TV show in Star Trek cosplay.
    4 episodes in and I'm standing by this. Im enjoying it as generic TV-scifi, but it doesn't remote feel like Trek.

Hmm.. I just think they have realised that some of the best Star Trek is when they go to war..  So the Klingons, the Borg, The Dominion, the Borg and Species 8472 (yes, I didn't have to look that up ;)  ) , the time war in Enterprise..  These are some of all the best bits of Star Trek...  Also they are showing the darker side of the federation.  In the tv series they always talk about the Federation like they are perfect (well maybe apart from the maquis in DS9)... In the films you sometimes get the impression that the federation is more like dictatorship  police state and anyone who disagrees with their philosophy is on the wanted list. 

This new series has just gone straight in there to war and shows that actually when they want too the federation can be as ruthless and daring as they need to be to win the war..

So while it is different, it definitely still feels like Trek to me.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Rabs said:

Hmm.. I just think they have realised that some of the best Star Trek is when they go to war..  So the Klingons, the Borg, The Dominion, the Borg and Species 8472 (yes, I didn't have to look that up ;)  ) , the time war in Enterprise..  These are some of all the best bits of Star Trek...  Also they are showing the darker side of the federation.  In the tv series they always talk about the Federation like they are perfect (well maybe apart from the maquis in DS9)... In the films you sometimes get the impression that the federation is more like dictatorship  police state and anyone who disagrees with their philosophy is on the wanted list. 

This new series has just gone straight in there to war and shows that actually when they want too the federation can be as ruthless and daring as they need to be to win the war..

So while it is different, it definitely still feels like Trek to me.

Maybe, but that was all *after* we knew the characters in each show and gave a shit about them. 

And I feel like the world could use some of that utopian "let's work together and make everything better" type of storytelling right now...
    tFB Trader

And I feel like the world could use some of that utopian "let's work together and make everything better" type of storytelling right now...
    I certainly wont disagree with you on that..  :(
  • http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/113794/star-trek-discovery#latest

I'm enjoying it. I'm a casual Trek fan so none of the stuff that's making the shut-ins on the Interwebz lose their shit bothers me. Yet.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I heard it was meant to be naff but haven't seen it. 
    The original Terminator was so gritty and dark - it was the best. The second one was great but dragged on and felt a bit flat - the best bit was the motorbike & shotgun bit with GNR playing.
  • I heard it was meant to be naff but haven't seen it. 

Bizarrely, every internet nerd TV news outlet relentlessly hammered the shit out of Discovery for every piece of news that came out of the production, then watched the first few episodes and declared it to be OK after all.

It's not the greatest sci-fi show ever to be on telly, but it's not half as bad as we were led to believe.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• PSN id : snakey33stoo
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11680
    After last night's episode, I'm pretty sold on Discovery.

They actually had a Trek premise, Michael had to understand and learn and be a scientist, despite the war, despite Lorca and the crazy security chief's best efforts.

I also like that both sides are beating the living tar out of each other and both are now looking for an "edge".

How long before we see Michael Burnham in the Captain's chair?  Lorca will have to work out his issues soon...!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    I like it, the timeline is complete bollocks of course, too much lens flare, and the Kligons haven't said "Kerplach!" yet - but it's good stuff.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited October 2017 tFB Trader

Yeah... Someone forgot to engage the Heisenberg compensator  D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been watching this too, and can't help but feel Sasha'a a bit one dimensional.

The character has no spark.

The lady playing the (now ex) first officer seemed to have far more depth despite no screen time.  Whwther this is the way "Michael's" written or whether Sasha can only play Sasha...

Presumably the silly "Michael" is a reveal at the end of the series, in the vain hope that we'd be interested in the question by then - it'll live or die well before that.

And why on earth don't the Klingon's speak English?  It'd be much easier to follow - particularly if they've any ambition to an audience outside of Trekkies (and small white text in low res Netflix against sparkly backgrounds...).