Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Trek Discovery

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16650
    One dimensional like Spock?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader

its worse than that...  Hes dead Jim.....

:P

• I've been watching this too, and can't help but feel Sasha'a a bit one dimensional.

The character has no spark.

Who's Sasha? Are you watching the same show?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

tFB Trader
    I've been watching this too, and can't help but feel Sasha'a a bit one dimensional.

I would imagine that's his way of being derogatory to her as that was the actresses characters name in The Walking Dead.
  • Exactly, she's playing essentially the same character...
  • Maybe that's why it's Trek - Bill Shatner played the same character in all of his works...
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    edited October 2017
    Rabs said:
    I've been watching this too, and can't help but feel Sasha'a a bit one dimensional.

I would imagine that's his way of being derogatory to her as that was the actresses characters name in The Walking Dead.
    Riiiight. Sacked off that show years ago.

I can't comment on the similarities between the characters, but I think there's a fine line between "one dimensional" and "subtle". For me, SMG's on the right side of that.

Subjective of course- I wouldn't expect someone with Burnham's backstory- orphaned in a violent act, raised by a species whose thing is to subdue all emotion, then convicted of a crime that's made her a household name and a social outcast because she failed to enact the mutiny she wanted- to be "sparky", and I found the Landry character to be every bit as one-dimensional as you think Burnham is. "Hur hur hur. What if it was like, a weapon? Hey Beavis, let's sedate it and cut its leg off. Hur hur. That would be cool."

tFB Trader

So im still watching and actually enjoying it..  The end of the last episode could make things quite interesting..

BUT.. despite the fact that I do swear a lot myself and don't have anything against it in principle..  I was quite shocked that they dropped the F bomb.. THAT is so un Star Trek...  But I guess it just reflects the times we live in..  Still, a bit odd if you ask me.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    Rabs said:

So im still watching and actually enjoying it..  The end of the last episode could make things quite interesting..

BUT.. despite the fact that I do swear a lot myself and don't have anything against it in principle..  I was quite shocked that they dropped the F bomb.. THAT is so un Star Trek...  But I guess it just reflects the times we live in..  Still, a bit odd if you ask me.

I think it reflects that they're trying too hard, personally.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Im also loving it.  Struggling to get my head around the mushroom space drive though.  Why didn't it catch on?

• Im also loving it.  Struggling to get my head around the mushroom space drive though.  Why didn't it catch on?
    Haven't seen Ep. 5 yet, but Ep. 4 seemed to be hinting that Burnham thought that using the shroom drive caused the tardigrade pain. If  (as I suspect she also thinks) it's sentient, Starfleet may end up in a moral quandary.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16650
    Im also loving it.  Struggling to get my head around the mushroom space drive though.  Why didn't it catch on?
    the equivalent of midiclorians

I guess they will have to explain why it doesn't catch on a bit later
    Haven't seen Ep. 5 yet, but Ep. 4 seemed to be hinting that Burnham thought that using the shroom drive caused the tardigrade pain. If  (as I suspect she also thinks) it's sentient, Starfleet may end up in a moral quandary.
    Hehe. Now I *have* seen Ep.5. Called it. I think we already have quite a lot of the story of why the shroom drive didn’t catch on. 

I'd been wondering what the point of making Stamets gay was when until now he'd been essentially asexual, so it was nice that they gave him that scene at the end. Excellent WTF moment right at the end. Creepy. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Hmmmmm Time Loop / Groundhog Day plot and another Harry Mudd episode ..... this is worrying.  Timey Wimey stuff is usually the death knell of a Star Trek series.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Hmmmmm Time Loop / Groundhog Day plot and another Harry Mudd episode ..... this is worrying.  Timey Wimey stuff is usually the death knell of a Star Trek series.
    Point of order m'lud.  Some of the best ST episodes are timey wimey shit!  The OS episode with Joan Collins, the TNG one with Frasier, the DS9 Tribbles episode, and First Contact.  All bangers!
    Jalapeno said:
    Point of order m'lud.  Some of the best ST episodes are timey wimey shit!  The OS episode with Joan Collins, the TNG one with Frasier, the DS9 Tribbles episode, and First Contact.  All bangers!
    Ok ... but the lame ass time paradox stuff in Enterprise and Voyager really were the end (and I was an Enterprise fan)

Feedback
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    Discovery is an excellent show.

There I said it. :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Discovery is an excellent show.

There I said it. :)
    It's ok so far I agree (apart from Groundhog day episode)

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:

I thought the temporal loop thing was probably the most Trek thing they'd done so far. Definitely reminded me of TNG, although I'm not enough of a fan to know episode names, and it's been so long that I can't recall details.

Having Stamets be the guy who knows what's happening seemed more plausible than other time loop bullshit episodes where it's some ass-pull reason like "Oh, Riker knows what's happening because the alien mind control can't penetrate beards" or "Wesley Crusher had cheese at lunchtime".

I thought making Harry Mudd as ruthless and violent as they did seemed a little out of step with what I remember of him from TOS (again, it's been ages), but that might just be a feature of updating the show for a modern audience.

Also, space guns are boring. "What does this one do? <ZAP> Hmm. Pretty much the same as the fifteen other ones."

• Shit. I forgot. This episode brought back my number one post-Abrams Star Trek peeve.

In 200 years, people will not be listening to Wyclef's Bee Gees rip off at parties. Shit, it's 20 years after that fuckawful song came out and nobody listens to Wyclef. When was the last time you walked in to a room full of 20-somethings letting their hair down and heard 200 year old music coming out of the speakers?

What, they can find people who can imagine what people will wear in 200 years, or what a spaceship will look like, or an alien race, but not someone who can imagine what pop music will sound like 200 years from now? Such bullshit.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom