Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Trek Discovery

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    Alvin said:
    The Orville is well worth watching
    "I wish I could fly, right up to the sky..... but I can't...."

No, because you fucked up on the Starfleet entrance exam didn't you, you arse.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    Emp_Fab said:
    Alvin said:
    The Orville is well worth watching
    "I wish I could fly, right up to the sky..... but I can't...."

No, because you fucked up on the Starfleet entrance exam didn't you, you arse.
    To be fair, if it's anything like that episode of TNG where Wesley does it, it's amazing anyone passes.

Fortunately they made Starfleet a little less elitist in later episodes.  A bit like dropping TNGs "ship of officers" idea.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aaaand back to Klingon of Thrones with ep3 :(

I assume we're seeing the story of whatever made the Klingons lose the forehead ridges over the course of this season (and possibly future ones). I don't care. 

I just want more like the first 2 episodes of this season. Judging from various online sources, so does everyone else...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Rumour has it the show's been cancelled.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Really enjoying it
  • Fretwired said:
    Crazy twitter and youtube nerds based on an off-the-cuff tweet by the guy playing Pike. I doubt there's any truth to it, though it's possible Pike won't captain past this season.
    Fretwired said:
    Crazy twitter and youtube nerds based on an off-the-cuff tweet by the guy playing Pike. I doubt there's any truth to it, though it's possible Pike won't captain past this season.
    I was hoping that they would give Saru the nod at the end of the season, he is clearly an excellent XO as shown on screen by his relationship with Tilly.

I think the season will probably end with Pike leaving.  It's a bit too early hopefully to show his eventual fate (he is badly injured in an accident and left in a chair only able to beep yes or no, and rescued by Spock, who takes him to Talos IV where he can live in an illusion).

I hope Discovery doesn't get cancelled, season one had it's ropey moments but the new series has been much stronger.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Seen the whole first series. I like it, more hard hitting and lots of twists.  But the ship is ugly. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)

• I think the season will probably end with Pike leaving.  

Could become their "thing" to have a new captain every season.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• It'd make it more realistic.
    Oh...
  • It'd make it more realistic.
    Oh...
    Ah, you'll be wanting The Expanse.

Fretwired said:
    More to it than that ....

• Is that not just a 15 minute piece of click-bait based on the exact tweet I referenced?? 

I used to identify with nerds, and still do to an extent, but fucking nerds overthinking everything is ruining everything good about being a fan of good scifi...

• Is that not just a 15 minute piece of click-bait based on the exact tweet I referenced?? 

I used to identify with nerds, and still do to an extent, but fucking nerds overthinking everything is ruining everything good about being a fan of good scifi...

I'm starting to think that the very definition of a nerd is someone who just can't wait for shit.

Always with the bloody theories and speculation and rumours.

edited February 2019
    Is that not just a 15 minute piece of click-bait based on the exact tweet I referenced?? 

No. In fairness he dismisses the Tweets. He's spoken to two insiders and looked at the fact both series had to have major reshoots which has pushed the current series to over $150 million which is way over budget. Negative reviews forced CBS to put the opening episode in full on YouTube to garner feedback from viewers (he explains why) - 700,000 views and only 3000 likes at the time the video was made. Insiders say the board seems more interested in Picard and may put all their resources into that.

The rebooted film franchise has flopped and looks to have been canned and the series Enterprise didn't fare well either.

The guy who made the video is a well known blogger and calls things right quite often. He has credibility and gets to speak to studio heads and production people. He's not your average nerd in a bedroom ...

• Fretwired said:
    Is that not just a 15 minute piece of click-bait based on the exact tweet I referenced?? 

No. In fairness he dismisses the Tweets. He's spoken to two insiders and looked at the fact both series had to have major reshoots which has pushed the current series to over $150 million which is way over budget. Negative reviews forced CBS to put the opening episode in full on YouTube to garner feedback from viewers (he explains why) - 700,000 views and only 3000 likes at the time the video was made. Insiders say the board seems more interested in Picard and may put all their resources into that.

The rebooted film franchise has flopped and looks to have been canned and the series Enterprise didn't fare well either.

The guy who made the video is a well known blogger and calls things right quite often. He has credibility and gets to speak to studio heads and production people. He's not your average nerd in a bedroom ...
    But Netflix reportedly paid more than the production cost to have the international rights, so it's still making money. I don't buy it 
    edited February 2019

But Netflix reportedly paid more than the production cost to have the international rights, so it's still making money. I don't buy it 
    There's other weird stuff going on though .. Paramount and CBS could be merging but CBS has filed a law suit which is holding things up. If they merged then the whole Star Trek situation becomes easier as CBS can get access to the original timelines and characters. At present Picard won't have any TNG characters in it as the contracts forbid it.

CBS are also working on a Section 31 series starring Michelle Yeoh in the Mirrorverse. They've got two top sci-fi writers on the case who have leaked the fact that the show will be very dark and not like any Star Trek or sci-fi show. There's a feeling that Picard and this show may offer a new direction.

Who knows. For the moment there's been no official word.

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Here's Pike in Star Trek series one...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

But that rubs salt in the wound. The board of CBS wants Star Trek to spearhead it's on demand service which will be in direct competition with Netflix - that's where the money is .. the fact Netflix covered the production costs doesn't mean CBS are making lots of money. They've spent a shedload on marketing and the streaming service which they are starting to roll out around the world. It's also not clear how the Netflix deal works. Forbes has speculated it might be series by series so that CBS can control the rights as they roll out their

Wolfetone said:
    Here's Pike in Star Trek series one...
    There is sort of a happy ending to that...

"He has fantasy, you have reality, may your path be as pleasant"...

His accident happens saving some cadets, and they have clearly established a group of "command training" cadets (a concept in trek that dates back to TWOK, Saavik was an LT. but a cadet on the command program) including Tilly.

So I hope he leaves under happier terms than that, although his eventual grim fate is ahead of him.

A certain Lt. James T Kirk is out there at this time as well, and we don't know in "canon" that the first ship he commanded was the Enterprise.