Interesting Strat!

What's Hot
I somehow found my way onto this guys website, he did quite a bit a session work in the 80's.

On the page with his Guitars I noticed his Red 1963 Strat. He's a Lefty as you can see.

Yes, It's a right handed Guitar, but my main observation is the "Horns" and "Cutaway". Unusual, surely it must be Modded, I've not seen any Strat like that before. I've seen some 1963 Strats on Ebay and they look like the usual Strat shape.

Just thought I'd share this curiosity.

B-)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I love strats, but that looks unbelievably horrible. A murdered 63 strat!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Pretty grim.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That's not good..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• An SGocaster
  • I suspect its been dropped at some point in its life and "repaired"
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    At a time when LH guitars cost a premium someone reduced the long horn to book match the short one. A very practical solution at the time to the problem of upper fret access. It's just a guitar!

Now 50 years on and some people have a different view of the values, but I'm sure this has been well played and appreciated over the decades.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    It's obviously a workhorse guitar. It's also got a wilkinson Trem and possibly EMG's. I don't have a problem with the horn mod either. It's clearly well loved and appreciated by its owner and that's all that matters really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    edited February 2014
    ESBlonde said:
    At a time when LH guitars cost a premium someone reduced the long horn to book match the short one. A very practical solution at the time to the problem of upper fret access. It's just a guitar!

Now 50 years on and some people have a different view of the values, but I'm sure this has been well played and appreciated over the decades.

Now that is very well observed @ESBlonde

I think you nailed it on the head there, wiz for you.

Cosmetically it's not beautiful, but it makes no odds to me in the end, I'm not playing it and like @Naillmo says, if the player likes it, then good for him.

I did wonder about the "socket", I'm not a Luthier but I thought a nice tight socket with plenty of purchase on the neck was what a Luthier aimed for and that a Guitar with a massively eroded socket would be tonally inferior,but I'm no expert on these things, it obviously does a job.

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • If that was a dog - and come to think of it, it is - we'd be reporting its owner to the RSPCA!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    If it was a dog we'd have taken it out the back and blown it's brains out with a shotgun long before now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom