It's been a while ..

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    BigMonka said:

Looking forward to hearing about the cabinet making course too, I'd love to go on something like that - I'm probably more likely to find a local one than a guitar-building course too.
    It should be the final day (bar the oiling and waxing) of the cabinet making course tomorrow, so pics may well follow.

I'm slightly fortunate in that the cabinet maker, and hence the course, is "next door".  More accurately, it's on the neighbouring farm, some of whose old buildings have been converted into small business units, including one used by the cabinet maker.  So it couldn't really be any more "local".
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very pleased to see you back on the treadmill, @TTony ; ;)

That top is way beyond the limits of superlatives....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    @bigmonka - the widerange HB is an Oil City unit although I don't see it on Ash's current website.

Re the workshop ... I sort of had it all set up and usable, perfect for guitar building and the odd (little) DiY task.  But then I started a cabinet making course (watch out for a "new cupboard day" thread coming shortly!) and acquired some more machinery, which will disrupt my neatly planned workshop when I work out how to fit it in ...

Main guitar area is reasonably well set-up (although I need to put the remaining ceiling insulation on the ceiling rather than on the planer!).

And I want to get it right first time, because it weighs a lot and moving it is a "challenge"!
    Wow....  a workshop like this is something I can only dream of.. Im jealous. I build in a garage with no bench tools and I use a portable workbench :)
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Rabs said:
    I build in a garage with no bench tools and I use a portable workbench :)
    The idea is to look at a space, call it 'the workshop', and proceed from there.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Nomad said:
    Rabs said:
    I build in a garage with no bench tools and I use a portable workbench :)
    The idea is to look at a space, call it 'the workshop', and proceed from there.

Yes well of course its my work shop..  BUT the issue is the garage isn't mine its at my family home..  And its been used by the family to store crap for years...  So its never really been my own space I have like a 3x8ft space to work in...  So when I see a "proper" workshop I do get a bit envious about it.  :)

You can kind of see it here

https://i.imgur.com/KhWCD2J.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Vf4t8wf.jpg

Rabs said:

Yes well of course its my work shop..  BUT the issue is the garage isn't mine its at my family home..  https://i.imgur.com/Vf4t8wf.jpg

Hang on a minute there.

You have a garage with a roof and lighting in which to set up your portable workbench!  

@Andyjr1515  used to do his guitar building on his old workmate on the garden patio ...
    ;)

I only got this workshop earlier this year.  And Im yet to find the time to do a start to finish guitar build in it.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Rabs said:

Yes well of course its my work shop..  BUT the issue is the garage isn't mine its at my family home..  https://i.imgur.com/Vf4t8wf.jpg

Hang on a minute there.

You have a garage with a roof and lighting in which to set up your portable workbench!  

@Andyjr1515  used to do his guitar building on his old workmate on the garden patio ...
    ;)

I only got this workshop earlier this year.  And Im yet to find the time to do a start to finish guitar build in it.

Ha..  wow.. But that's nothing..  Sadly photobucket killed that picture (I will see if I can find it).. But when I first started all of this I set up a tent in my one bed flat  :D  now that was crazy..   Didn't last long though cos even with the door zipped closed the dust gets everywhere and I couldn't live like that.
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader

Actually I have a short vid showing my indoor tent workshop

If it's being used for storing crap, they're unlikely to notice for weeks that you've tidied it all up into a much smaller space. Get some cheapo shelving if necessary.

Once that's done, quietly get on with whitewashing the walls (5 gallons of cheapo paint and a big brush) and building a half decent workbench (CLS, some 18mm ply, a few M10 coach bolts and a bunch of screws is quick, easy and cheap, and doesn't need any fancy woodworking). Add some shelving for your gear. Get the space looking bright and tidy.

By the time they cotton on to what's happened, you'll have captured at least half of the space and they'll be so impressed with your workshop, they'll go away happy that you're not out on the streets causing trouble.

Nomad

Rabs said:

You're either mad or incredibly determined.

Possibly both.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    TTony said:
    @bigmonka - the widerange HB is an Oil City unit although I don't see it on Ash's current website.

Re the workshop ... I sort of had it all set up and usable, perfect for guitar building and the odd (little) DiY task.  But then I started a cabinet making course (watch out for a "new cupboard day" thread coming shortly!) and acquired some more machinery, which will disrupt my neatly planned workshop when I work out how to fit it in ...

Main guitar area is reasonably well set-up (although I need to put the remaining ceiling insulation on the ceiling rather than on the planer!).

I even found a spot for my old (1980s) combo amp in the corner, which is quite handy when doing guitar set-ups!

The other side of the workshop isn't quite as well arranged;

I'm going to turn one of the central desks through 90deg, which will make space for the router table at the far end.  I guess a router table will be quite handy for guitar-related work too - it'll make some tasks easier than always using a hand-held.

And then I bought this beastie ...

... which has no use in guitar building but also needs to be found a home in the workshop. 

And I want to get it right first time, because it weighs a lot and moving it is a "challenge"!
    That's not a workshop! That's a show room.

Photos below is what guitar making workshop should look like towards the end of a busy week.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

TTony said:
    Rabs said:

You're either mad or incredibly determined.

Possibly both.

I was very determined..  Now I think im just mad 

But then who wants to be "normal" (whatever that means) that's boring.

tFB Trader
    Nomad said:

If it's being used for storing crap, they're unlikely to notice for weeks that you've tidied it all up into a much smaller space. Get some cheapo shelving if necessary.

Once that's done, quietly get on with whitewashing the walls (5 gallons of cheapo paint and a big brush) and building a half decent workbench (CLS, some 18mm ply, a few M10 coach bolts and a bunch of screws is quick, easy and cheap, and doesn't need any fancy woodworking). Add some shelving for your gear. Get the space looking bright and tidy.

By the time they cotton on to what's happened, you'll have captured at least half of the space and they'll be so impressed with your workshop, they'll go away happy that you're not out on the streets causing trouble.

That is a good plan.  But requires something else I don't have at the moment..  Time..  Sadly its due to things way beyond my control..  But yeah that would be nice.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    edited September 2017
    Nomad said:  The idea is to look at a space, call it 'the workshop', and proceed from there.
    Herr Doctor Goebbels said:  If I say something often enough then it becomes true.

We have a small barn on the side of our garage. Last year I started referring to it as the workshop, and now everyone else does to. This is unfortunate, because I now want to build a proper workshop. I will have to start referring to it as my wife's potting shed.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:

Herr Doctor Goebbels
    said:  If I say something often enough then it becomes true.  We have a small barn on the side of our garage. Last year I started referring to it as the workshop, and now everyone else does to.
    Goebbels had a workshop too???
    edited September 2017

GSPBASSES said:

That's not a workshop! That's a show room.

Photos below is what guitar making workshop should look like towards the end of a busy week.

Obviously, I took my photos at the beginning of my working week @GSPBASSES ;

:P
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
     Somewhere amongst of chaos is a p-bass with your name on it. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    edited September 2017
    My first workshop was the spare room of my terraced house.  The neighbours loved the router going constantly.

i actually miss it because of the convienience of popping upstairs to do a bit here or a bit there.  It was a really productive time
    Rabs said:

That is a good plan.  But requires something else I don't have at the moment..  Time..  Sadly its due to things way beyond my control..  But yeah that would be nice.
    Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey. A little bit here, a little bit there. Romam uno die non fuisse conditam, Rodney. :)

Nomad

TTony said:
    BigMonka said:

Looking forward to hearing about the cabinet making course too, I'd love to go on something like that - I'm probably more likely to find a local one than a guitar-building course too.
    It should be the final day (bar the oiling and waxing) of the cabinet making course tomorrow, so pics may well follow.

Here we go.

It's neither oiled nor waxed, but it is completed.  

I'll do some more pics when the finishing is done, but here's the product of my 5-day cabinet making course.

It's 1.5m x 0.5m, which is custom sized to fit in an alcove in our (indoor) porch.

Solid oak throughout - apart from the ebony inserts and the ply back pieces.  Started with the raw planks from the woodstore, joints are all mortice & tenon, with the door and side panels fitted into rebates in the frame.  The top is more figured that you can see from that angle to match the outer panels on the doors.  The front legs have a big round-over on the outer corner.

Given my (complete lack of a) wood-working background, I'm really quite happy with this.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom