Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your number ONE album when your where at college?

What's Hot

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    I have nothing to add apart from the word 'were'.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Nothing brings me back to my college days like Gomez's Liquid Skin album! 

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited September 2017
    I was 2003-2006. Looking back, considering new releases it was some combination of Interpol - Antics and The Music - Welcome to the North... I remember being PROPERLY into both those. And Tool, too. I remember listening to a lot of Aenima. But I was on a massive music discovery phase after being quite a late starter to it all, so I was also delving into Radiohead's Back Catalog (feels weird that Hail to the Thief was their most recent album at the time), discovering classic Pink Floyd, and going in weird directions like Flaming Lips, Steve Reich and Stravinsky, and still into the stuff that first got me into music in the form of U2 and REM. Though I remember feeling in the back of my mind when How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb came out that U2 weren't a vital act any more, and REM's Around the Sun was just dreadful.

The only "everyone's talking about it" thing I really remember was when the first Kasabian Album came out. A girl working at HMV asked me out on a date just because I bought it.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    Ministry - Psalm 69

I listened to the whole album last night - tis brilliant!  Thanks for introducing me to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Never went to college

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337

Early 80s for me and there were two stand out albums that defined my college times. I was at Norwich school of art but I spent a year and a term living at the City college halls of residence. Most people hated it, but I loved it. One room on a corridor. I became great pals with a bunch of like minded guys from the city college and we managed to wangle it so that we all had rooms on the same corridor. It was brilliant, just an ‘open house’ scenario where we were in and out of all the rooms. They actually decided that they would never do that again as we were too much aggro – partying, loud music, playing murderball in the corridor at 2.00am etc.

Anyway, there were two great albums that we ALL bought – Marillion’s Fugazi and Rush Grace under pressure. Those two albums immediately transport me back to a brilliant time of life.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6675
    Fretwired said:
    equalsql said:

Budgie - Bandolier
    Just a faultless masterpiece.
    Ha ha .. saw them loads of times .. they used to come to my college in the mid 1970s. Great band.
    I used to rehearse in Cogan Hall, where Budgie rehearsed and stored their gear, met them loads of times.....
  • 96 - 99 saw me widen my horizons from listening to just metal/grunge, towards drum and bass, hip hop, techno etc. DJ Shadow's Endtroducing and Wu-Tan Clan Forever were big albums for me. Roni Size, Air and Daft Punk were everywhere, which I liked a lot. The Chemical Brothers 2nd album Dig Your Own Hole brings back a lot of memories form that time. It was at the height ot Britpop, which I mostly detested, but I loved Radiator by the Super Furry Animals, also Manics' This is my Truth. In my final year I was listening to Live Rust by Neil Young and Dark Side of the Moon after being introduced to them by a housemate. Oh, and a lot of Ozric Tentacles! 

• "After the Goldrush". Neil Young,
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Art college (2001-2002) I think 'Blackwater Park' by Opeth was my jam. Played it constantly for ages. Not a fan of Opeth now but that is a classic record.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited September 2017
    I've got too much of a split personality musically to have just listened to one album during that time.

The albums I listened to most were

Circa Survive - On Letting Go
    Elliott Smith - XO / Figure 8
    The Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I spend about 6 years in total being a student, with couple gaps in between so it was an 8 year period.  Difficult to think of one.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    revsorg said:
    Ministry - Psalm 69

I listened to the whole album last night - tis brilliant!  Thanks for introducing me to it.
    This is just me talking to myself... I was listening to Just One Fix and thinking how it sounds like a straight copy of something by Rammstein.  But actually it was released two years before they even formed Rammstein,
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    All I remember from that time was that Slayed by Slade [I might have the album title wrong] was played a lot over the college PA system..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited September 2017
    revsorg said:
    revsorg said:
    Ministry - Psalm 69

This is just me talking to myself... I was listening to Just One Fix and thinking how it sounds like a straight copy of something by Rammstein.  But actually it was released two years before they even formed Rammstein,
    Indeed it was - other fantastic Ministry albums worth checking out (and which totally influenced the likes of Rammstein etc etc) are The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste, and The Land of Rape and Honey. MInistry were by some margin my favourite band around the very early 90s - I went to see them when the played one of their infrequent UK shows, and as a 17 year old from a small town in the midlands it was terrfiying but utterly awesome. As his crack habit got worse throughout the rest of the decade the records went sharply downhill, but yeah, for a time - amazing band!
  • Joined Navy in 1978 so mainly Bat out of Hell, Parralell lines by Blondie and If you can't stand the Heat by Quo. I think. 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Ryan Adams "Gold" reminds me of living in Roehampton and having no money. As does "Songs for the Deaf" by QOTSA. 
    I dropped out and went to a different Uni a few years later so my college timeframe is quite long, but "Gold" is especially evocative for me. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5154
    Joshua Tree
    The Cult Electric
    GNR Appletise for construction 
     :) 
  • cpcompany said:
    Probably Black Grape - It's Great When You're Straight.
    Proper record that - excellent work. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Moving Pictures and Close To The Edge were my favourite albums back then...

...they still are now!