Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My AX8 vs Helix LT Journey

What's Hot

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Clarky said:
    peteri said:
    Just to update a little. 

Ive been toying with the idea of the Axe-FX II, the only real reason being that I can run two amp blocks and therefore not have to compromise on the four core sounds. 

But thats a lot of money just for that when you include a floorboard! And it’s not so tiny at the AX8. 

So today changed my mindset a bit. Viewed the preset as a two channel amp. So I have a blues one with a Vibroverb and Dumble, then an AC30 patch, then a Plexi etc. 

It means patches rather than scenes. But the delay is so small for my use. Completely fine. 

Vibroverb AA is sounding great!
    think on this...
    you have scenes and controllers
    you can turn assign the boost switch to a pedal to change a riff tone to a soloing tone..
    that is essentially two amp channels without X-Y switching the amp [I do this with the 5153Red]
    you can use scenes of morphing to clean the amp further and 'fix up' the tone..
    so that's 3 tones and you've still not switched X-Y..
    experiment with amp types that can work well from clean right through to hi-gain..
    you can get surprising results..
    changing tones does not have to mean changing amp.. 
    you can be smart and creative with 1.. this will result in seamless tone transitions..

Yep - you're right I can do that, what I've enjoyed is also complete choice over modifiers (meaning treble booster for the AC, TS for the Fender).

But challenge accepted! Will try and do it all with something tonight

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 448
    How would you use modifiers to swap from a treble boost to a TS?

If you're taking about the AX8 then I think the only way to change the drive type is X/Y

Unless you mean attaching modifiers to the parameters within the drive block and changing those?
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    peteri said:
    Clarky said:
    peteri said:
    Just to update a little. 

Ive been toying with the idea of the Axe-FX II, the only real reason being that I can run two amp blocks and therefore not have to compromise on the four core sounds. 

But thats a lot of money just for that when you include a floorboard! And it’s not so tiny at the AX8. 

So today changed my mindset a bit. Viewed the preset as a two channel amp. So I have a blues one with a Vibroverb and Dumble, then an AC30 patch, then a Plexi etc. 

It means patches rather than scenes. But the delay is so small for my use. Completely fine. 

Vibroverb AA is sounding great!
    think on this...
    you have scenes and controllers
    you can turn assign the boost switch to a pedal to change a riff tone to a soloing tone..
    that is essentially two amp channels without X-Y switching the amp [I do this with the 5153Red]
    you can use scenes of morphing to clean the amp further and 'fix up' the tone..
    so that's 3 tones and you've still not switched X-Y..
    experiment with amp types that can work well from clean right through to hi-gain..
    you can get surprising results..
    changing tones does not have to mean changing amp.. 
    you can be smart and creative with 1.. this will result in seamless tone transitions..

Yep - you're right I can do that, what I've enjoyed is also complete choice over modifiers (meaning treble booster for the AC, TS for the Fender).

But challenge accepted! Will try and do it all with something tonight

experiment:
    amp: 5153Blue
    set it up so you have a nice riffing tone
    Scene1 = riff / Scene2 = Solo / Scene3 = Clean

assign the Scene Controller to the Input-Drive to control the amount of gain per scene
    Scene1 = 60 / Scene2 = 100 / Scene3 = 10

at the end of the Grid place 3 GEQ blocks in parallel, bypass=mute
    these will be switched on individually per scene
    scene1:GEQ1=on/GEQ2=off/GEQ=off
    scene2:GEQ1=off/GEQ2=on/GEQ=off
    scene3:GEQ1=off/GEQ2=off/GEQ=on

GEQ1 = flat EQ, level=0 
    GEQ2 = sweeten EQ [maybe cut 4k a little], level=5 [to boost when you solo]
    GEQ3 = sweeten EQ [the low input-drive setting will thin out the tone, so fix-up by boosting top and bottom], level will need a boost too

compressor: place in front of the amp and turn this on with Scene3 [clean]

these are rough settings off the top of my head...
    so for example, Scene Controller Scene3=10 may not clean up quite enough or maybe you'd want to allow a little more dirt in..
    this all depends upon the input-drive setting you have in the amp block to start with
    play every note as if it were your first

Thanks - I will.

Last night, I was experimenting with the 5150 Red, too much gain to get a nice clean - annoyed I didn't think of the blue.

Best I came up with was crunch, riff and lead with a Friedman then clean with a Fender. And that sounds great. Will try your idea - which is bound to work and then I get cross with myself :)

Just checked - can only run two GEQ blocks on the AX8, but I can also run two Filter blocks - so sure I can work it out
    peteri said:

Thanks - I will.

Last night, I was experimenting with the 5150 Red, too much gain to get a nice clean - annoyed I didn't think of the blue.

Best I came up with was crunch, riff and lead with a Friedman then clean with a Fender. And that sounds great. Will try your idea - which is bound to work and then I get cross with myself :)

with the 5153Red, try [in addition to Scene Controller on the input-drive] kicking in a filter block before the amp
    leave the EQ in the filter block flat and set the level to a very low value so you are reducing the signal level entering the amp..
    alternatively, place a compressor before the amp and set the level very low
    personally I'd do both.. compressor first / level=0 -> filter / level=-10 or more
    the GEQ that kicks in after the amp replaces the lost level and fixes up the EQ

I know that in the real world this would never be practical, however this is not the real world..
    the modelling environment will allow you to goof with the impossible and the ridiculous..
    some of the outcomes can be highly surprising..

ok so you may not find anything you like tone wise from doing this..
    however, the experiment is well worth it..
    because it gets you thinking outside of the traditional "amp'n'stomps" box and so encourages a more creative approach to preset design..

using this approach, I discovered that my absolute favourite clean tone for funk is of all things.. 
    a JCM800 dialled right back...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

peteri said:
    Just checked - can only run two GEQ blocks on the AX8, but I can also run two Filter blocks - so sure I can work it out
    you also have PEQ and VOL [if it's only levels you need to manipulate]

• Did you check out the 6505+ rhythm bright channels yet?  I prefer that one to the 5153 blue, should also clean up pretty as well
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 448
    edited October 2017
    As Clarky said, it's all about thinking outside the box.

I'll have to try your GEQ block method, but I've been doing the following:

I have scene controller 1 attached to input trim, gain and master volume 
    Scene controller 2 is attached to the cab block to control level on a scene by scene basis and means that delay and reverb trails don't suddenly drop in volume if you change from a louder scene to a quieter one.... say after your epic solo you want the trails to ring out loud and clear, they will do. If you use the scene level in the output block, you won't get this. 

This method gives me 4 scenes (more if you wanted) going from clean, to crunch, to heavy crunch, to lead.

Then you can add and subtract filter or GEQ blocks & FX per scene as desired.

If it helps I'd be happy to post a preset later tonight, but I learnt it all from the scene controller vid I linked to earlier in this thread.

The 5150 Blue cleans up a treat if you use scene controllers as does the Cornford, JCM800 and Small Box. I'm sure most of them do to be honest. For best results I switch to spilt humbucker for clean.

The boost is also a great way to instantly thicken up a sound

Thanks - agreed, and I'd not thought of the cab level idea, will try all tonight/tomorrow.

@DavusPG - pm'd for the preset please!

DavusPG said:
    How would you use modifiers to swap from a treble boost to a TS?

If you're taking about the AX8 then I think the only way to change the drive type is X/Y

Unless you mean attaching modifiers to the parameters within the drive block and changing those?
    you can't change what's loaded..
    you'd have to switch X-Y
    @Clarky You're a genius! Wiz'd awarded - took maybe 15 minutes to get that 5153 blue idea working - sounds amazing!

Any idea how to clear a block 'Y' value (to clear the amp I no longer need)?

Thanks so much
  • I don't think you need to clear a Y block value.  At least on the Axe FX 2 there's always a Y block option available at the default setting if you use it or not
    ah - ok thanks, was trying to save CPU
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    As a current Helix user thinking of giving the AX8 a try this all looks a bit of a piss on
  • I have absolutely no idea what a piss on is to be honest
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I have absolutely no idea what a piss on is to be honest
    It's a northern expression meaning a difficult way of doing things
  • John_A said:
    I have absolutely no idea what a piss on is to be honest
    It's a northern expression meaning a difficult way of doing things
    If you heard what we hear, you’d piss on anything to get it ;-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Ah ok.  Haven't heard that one and I thought I was in the North!

To be honest I can't be dealing with complex stuff either.  All my scene changes are either block on/block off, or X/Y switching.  I have volume and delay on the volume pedal, so when I reduce the volume on the volume pedal my delay comes in for a wet gritty clean, and when I push it forward I get my dry high gain sound again... but that's really it for fancy stuff.
  • It’s whatever works for you isn’t it :-)

I can see the benefit of Clarky’s approach on the Axe FX too, let alone to get around the limitations of the AX8. Would reap benefits on CPU and gapless changing etc.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922