Albums you learned to play every track on

What's Hot
I just remembered that I never do this now, but when I was a teenager and never put my guitar down, there were a few albums I could play every song on and would stand in front of the lyric sheet, obsessively playing them for weeks at a time. Anybody else?

My list - probably chronologically is:

Deep Purple - Machine Head
Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks
Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material
Neil Young - Harvest

I am nowhere near as old as this list suggests by the way...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Me too. I learned Give Em Enough Rope by The Clash all the way through. I've still got the chord book that I bought when I was 17. I used to play along to the LP over and over.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • I was a bassist, but yes. 
    Rage Against The Machine- Rage Against The Machine
    Oasis- Definitely Maybe
    Radiohead- The Bends
  • I only did it with 1. Keep the Faith by Bon Jovi
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423

When I was just turned 16 the older brother of a school friend introduced me to R&R/Rockabilly which I thought was great compared to a lot of the stuff around at that time. In particular he played me a Gene Vincent album and raved about the guitar player then challenged me to learn it, in a mocking sort of way. So I set about learning every Cliff Gallup solo and all his fills on Vincent's first two albums. No You Tube back then so it took months of listening and slowing the vinyl albums to half speed (remember that?) but I got there in the end. All note-perfect. It didn't do my playing any harm.

I've never learned whole albums note-for-note like that since. Never had a need to but it was fun at the time.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

I transcribed a Pulp for a mate back in the 90s. It wasn't very hard.

I don't think I've liked an album enough to learn ALL the songs before. I had a bit of Manics thing in the mid 90s where I worked out a lot of their stuff but never whole albums.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Master of Puppets,, Black Album...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• JD50JD50 Frets: 658

PJ Harvey  - Dry (when this album came out I was a bass player & had just started to learn guitar. Think the way it was mixed made it easier for me to pick out parts)

White Stripes -  Red Blood Cells (Great raw guitar sounds, my favourite record by them)

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    Lick Library have recently started a new series - which is essential "learn the album" rather than just selected tracks from an artist from various of their albums.

http://www.licklibrary.com/store/series/classic-albums-dvd-series-29
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Radiohead - The Bends

Haven't played any of that in ages, aside from "High and Dry".  Must dust off that muscle memory ...
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • Debut Smiths album and The Queen is Dead. Marquee Moon by Television. Pretty much everything Bernard Butler's played on. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3064
    Kill 'em All
    Never Mind The Bollocks
    Let There Be Rock
    Best Of Cream
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3199
    Only ever learnt albums in their entirety as a teen and that was with both Radiohead The Bends and Ok Computer, I learnt every guitar part and then formulated my own version that was a little bit Thom’s rhythm, with a bit Johnny and a bit Ed. 

Never done it since, haven’t felt the need -I became more interested in writing and doing my own thing.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Are you experienced & axis: bold as love
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited October 2017
    Thin Lizzy's "Live & Dangerous"
    Santana's "Moonflower"

Oh and probably Madness's Greatest Hits (basslines)
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited October 2017
    Modern Life Is Rubbish by Blur.  The album insert book had all of the chords above the lyrics.  I never saw that before or since.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I'm so impressed with you lot. I'm hopeless at learning songs. The only single song that I ever got down was Pink Floyd's Money. I really struggle to remember stuff from one day to the next.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2941
    The whole All About Eve back catalogue.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • The first 4 REM albums.
    Script Of The Bridge by The Chameleons.
    Space Ritual by Hawkwind.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    in my youth 

every Guns 'n Roses albums up to Spaghetti incident
    every Bon Jovi Album up to Bounce
    Metallica the black album 
    loads of queen stuff

despite it being silly and youthfully foolish, it really helped move my playing forward and showed me a few different techniques and tricks, so it actually added value.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Probably the least technically challenging answer here: when I was learning various songs by The Specials for the band I was using their 30th anniversary live DVD as reference so, inspired by this Discussion, I thought I might as well join up the dots and learn all of the songs. However, as I learned some of them ages ago I keep stopping now as I'm going through and relearning bits differently. I think the only gap now is Man at C & A but otherwise I could do a reasonable facsimile of either guitar part on all the other songs ( having allowed myself to improvise a bit as Roddy does). 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.