Jazz Bass Tuners

I'm looking for recommendations for replacement tuners/machine heads for a Jazz bass. It's a Tokai and the current ones have 3 screw fitted back plates rather than the 4 screw Fender ones.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    What's wrong with these ones? They very rarely need to be replaced.

If they actually do, you're probably best to get some standard 4-screw ones and drill the extra holes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• You could get hipshots and have a drop D tuner as well...
  • ICBM said:
    What's wrong with these ones? They very rarely need to be replaced.

If they actually do, you're probably best to get some standard 4-screw ones and drill the extra holes.
    I recently had it re-fretted and set up and the Tech told me the tuners were slipping. I must admit I bent the G string tuner many moons ago and had to reset it, so that has always been suspect, but the rest I assumed were okay.
    Do you notice them slipping, if you fit the strings with a nice tight even wrap of 2-3 turns on the post, and only tune up to the note?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Do you notice them slipping, if you fit the strings with a nice tight even wrap of 2-3 turns on the post, and only tune up to the note?
    I must admit I expected there to be more of an issue when I got it home, but to me they seem okay, even the troublesome G tuner is behaving itself at the moment. Wrap is 2/3 turns with flatwounds.
    Nothing wrong with them then.

Just check the screws are tight and if necessary put a little grease (standard white lithium grease is fine, or vaseline if you don't have any) in the gears and there won't be a problem.

For them to slip, the teeth or the worm gear would actually have to be worn out, otherwise there is no way they can turn backwards under the string tension.

• ICBM said:
    Nothing wrong with them then.

Just check the screws are tight and if necessary put a little grease (standard white lithium grease is fine, or vaseline if you don't have any) in the gears and there won't be a problem.

For them to slip, the teeth or the worm gear would actually have to be worn out, otherwise there is no way they can turn backwards under the string tension.
    Just checked the screws and they are tight and I've got some grease in the shed so I'll stick some on later. Thanks.