Bass shopping trip: exclusive report

What's Hot
Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
Went on a bass shopping yesterday to look for a 5 stringer as an upgrade to my 4 string Ibanez. I tried squires, MIM fenders, MIA fenders, P bass, J bass. All sounded good but not really *wow*. Then I picked up a £499 ibanez to do a comparison. Wow I was blown away! The tone and playability of the ibanez made the £1500 fenders feel like toys. Ok the ibanez will never be as cool as a P/J fender but I think I can live with that. So it's confirmed, I like my basses all modern and weird looking. Also the 5th string just gets in the way so I'm gonna stick to 4. That's all for now, tune in next time

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24255
    The Ibby SR series are particularly awesome. Some even come with the soooperdoooper new Nordstand pickups.

I'd like a 5 string
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited February 2014

Aye, if my current Ibby wasn't so blingy I'd love it. Now I'll just have to save up to get a SR1800 (if only the gold hardware were black)

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    Nice review. I need to go on a bass shopping trip. Not that I need another bass or anything, just for a laugh to see how the instruments differ.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited February 2014
    Went on a bass shopping yesterday to look for a 5 stringer as an upgrade to my 4 string Ibanez. I tried squires, MIM fenders, MIA fenders, P bass, J bass. All sounded good but not really *wow*. Then I picked up a £499 ibanez to do a comparison. Wow I was blown away! The tone and playability of the ibanez made the £1500 fenders feel like toys. Ok the ibanez will never be as cool as a P/J fender but I think I can live with that. So it's confirmed, I like my basses all modern and weird looking. Also the 5th string just gets in the way so I'm gonna stick to 4. That's all for now, tune in next time

I've held off from making my bass purchase, I was pretty settled on a Squire CV, perhaps I should re open the case?

As a total bass beginner I struggle to understand the differences between basses, @Col_Decker what did you like about the £499 Ibanez? I will have a look before I jump but I suspect you might have a better insight.  

• As ever you'll need to try them out for yourself. But for me the Ibanez sounded bigger and played better, also it felt better when I picked it up, ie the quality seemed better.

all subjective though

edited February 2014

As ever you'll need to try them out for yourself. But for me the Ibanez sounded bigger and played better, also it felt better when I picked it up, ie the quality seemed better.

all subjective though

Thanks @Col_Decker , I had it in mind that I probably can't go too far wrong going for a Squire but I think I'll check out the Ibanez and Yamaha offerings too! 

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    You can't go wrong with Ibanez. Especially if you are spending a few hundred quid. 
    They make great guitars in all forms
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    I was trying out a few basses in Dawsons before xmas to try and held a friend chose his present from his wife.  He ended up with a Squier jazz of some description (VM I think) but I preferred the feel of the Ibanezes we tried.  Even the cheapest one was comfortable and a breeze to play.  I think he had his heart set on a jazz before we'd even got to the shop though.
    RedRabbit said:
    I was trying out a few basses in Dawsons before xmas to try and held a friend chose his present from his wife.  He ended up with a Squier jazz of some description (VM I think) but I preferred the feel of the Ibanezes we tried.  Even the cheapest one was comfortable and a breeze to play.  I think he had his heart set on a jazz before we'd even got to the shop though.

I have a similar problem, I can't even call it a snobs attitude what will it being a Squire, but my image of a bass is either a P or Jazz bass. I did have a look at Yamaha guitars recently and the quality of finish looked good to my eye.

Got to finish the bathroom  first then I'm gonna have some GAS action! (if there's any money left by then)

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I think basses seem to suffer from a lack of icons. They are either a P/J bass, a Ric, a nondescript bolt-on bass from some other company, or a Wanky-Looking Bass(TM) all made out of nice wood with an oil finish and an ergonomic body shape and gold hardware. Y'know? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    EdGrip said:
    I think basses seem to suffer from a lack of icons. They are either a P/J bass, a Ric, a nondescript bolt-on bass from some other company, or a Wanky-Looking Bass(TM) all made out of nice wood with an oil finish and an ergonomic body shape and gold hardware. Y'know? 
    I think there's something in that - there are a lot of basses with a nondescript shape; not a direct copy, but nothing particularly Distinctive.

But there are a few more classic archetypes: violin bass, EB0, semi-hollows like the Jack Casady. It's tempting to add the Ampeg AEB and the Steinberger cricket bat, but neither have had many copies.

Of course, it may be that bass players are even more conservative than guitarists! (And I count myself as a bassist as much as a guitarist, but mostly one that plays "wanky-looking" basses. ;) )
    edited March 2014
    LOL at "wanky-looking bass (TM)"

You could probably add MusicMan and Thunderbird to that list? But yeah aside from that... admittedly I'm pretty new to bass and probably talking garbage.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12896
    So apart from the Jazz, the Precision, the Ricky, the Musicman, the Steinberger, the Thunderbird, the EB0, and the Violin bass there are no iconic basses?

This thread has gone a bit "what have the romans done for us?" hasn't it? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :))
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Yeah, alright, fair enough.
    But apart from the P and J basses, the Rickenbacker, the Thunderbird, the violin bass, the Musicman, the Steinberger, the EBO, the Gretsch hollow-body basses, the SG bass and the Mustang short-scale bass, what basses are there? None. Apart from all them basses with funny names that guitarists don't recognise, that actual bass players play. Apart from them, what is there?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom