The need to keep building

What's Hot
Is it just me or does anyone else have the need to have at least one build on the go at all times , problem is how many guitars is too many? I only have enough hands to play one at a time and in truth I'm not that proficient at that and wall space is at a premium!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If I had the time and talent yes...... But I don't so no. :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4xv4xv Frets: 49
    Maybe you ought to try? Thanks for the concise response tho!
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Well, to answer your question, I currently have three mini-electrics on the go, plus 3 acoustics that I started about 4 years ago and havent done anything with for about 3 1/2 years. Also started on my double neck, and have plans/ideas for another hollow-body (got some lovely 5mm thick indian rosewood facings for top and back) plus a couple more :)
    Can I play? not particularly well.
    Can I build? Well, I'm learning....

Adam
    Yes that's the spirit plenty of projects like to see em done before I start the next tho
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Yes, but it's easy to get to the stage you have too many on the go.

then you end up with a pile of unfinished work.  Some you will get around to sorting one day, others  that you know won't ever be finished.

i find I do better work when I limit it to 2 or 3 active builds
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Hah :)
    Yes, I know what you mean about having too many projects on the go, but there is a reason behind the acoustic guitars. I decided to start 2-3 acoustics together in order to try and reinforce any learning points along the way, and become a little more familiar with certain processes. And it was all going rather well, tops thicknessed with rosettes in place (simple rings for these), backs thicknessed and start of the rear bracing. Then we decided to move house and everything got put away. And the braces and tops/backs have remained in the cupboard ever since. I will get back to it and complete them, and starting these mini guitars has been the kick up the bum I needed.
    They need to be finished in time for Santa to deliver them, so there's a deadline :)
    The double neck is something I had always thought I wanted, and then I tried a 1275 in GuitarGuitar. My feeling was confirmed, but I dont really have a tenth of the spare cash needed for a new one. The PRS shape double neck I really like, so that is where I am going. The rippled ash bookmatched will easily fit over a double neck body, so got that covered.

Anyway, photo's as and when things progress :)

Adam
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    WezV said:
    Yes, but it's easy to get to the stage you have too many on the go.

then you end up with a pile of unfinished work.  Some you will get around to sorting one day, others  that you know won't ever be finished.

i find I do better work when I limit it to 2 or 3 active builds
    Very true,i fall victim to the " well that's drying/curing for 2 weeks what else can i do now" bug so at the moment i have about 4 refinishes 2 rebuilds and 2 scratch builds on the go

I also end up buying far to many tops or slabs and i can't see anyone throw hard wood away,in fact i now have about 30 or so mahogany would be neck blanks that have come out of a full front double window frame from a funeral parlor,its also "real mahogany" had been in there for 25 years and was going in a skip till my brother reclaimed it....mad that someone would just throw it away like that
  • I always have one on the go - where "on the go" can mean early planning, buying stuff, or actually building. I've managed to control the number of guitars a bit by reworking some of my early builds.

My other hobby is bridge, which I can do several times a week without filling the house with "bridges". I guess it's a problem with creative hobbies.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    4xv said:
    Is it just me or does anyone else have the need to have at least one build on the go at all times , problem is how many guitars is too many? 
    It's an outlet for natural creativity rather than a process merely to build a guitar.

I decided that I probably had too many guitars, so - logically - I should stop building more.  No space to store them all!

I came home today with a 1.5m x 0.5m x 1.0m Oak cabinet that I built, as my creativity outlet in place of building guitars.  That takes up a lot more space than a guitar.
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader

Yeah I tend to often do three at the same time..  I just always have new things I want to try    Currently im doing two but really don't have time for more or id get on with some of the nice tops I have waiting around ..

https://i.imgur.com/N8s4H9v.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Mzpc2Ly.jpg

TTony said:
    4xv said:
    Is it just me or does anyone else have the need to have at least one build on the go at all times , problem is how many guitars is too many? 
    It's an outlet for natural creativity rather than a process merely to build a guitar.

I decided that I probably had too many guitars, so - logically - I should stop building more.  No space to store them all!

I came home today with a 1.5m x 0.5m x 1.0m Oak cabinet that I built, as my creativity outlet in place of building guitars.  That takes up a lot more space than a guitar.
    :D
    And you cant play it either, however it still hangs on the wall so its close!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Rabs said:
    Where did you get that top from?? 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Rabs said:
    Where did you get that top from?? 

Ebay I think...  There was a seller who had a whole load of tops.. But I haven't seen them sell any more since I got it..