Getting back into building - New Update

What's Hot
Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
edited October 2017 in Making & Modding
I started a new job recently with quite a bit of travelling so have had no time for hobbies.  I finally had a few hours to myself this morning so finished off some builds I started months ago which just needed boxing up.

First up is my first bucket brigade device a Way Huge Aqua Puss built on a Madbean board using the Xvive mn3005 and it sounds awesome just a really great analogue delay - the self oscillation is fantastic.  Unfortunately I had to use a 3pdt because I couldn't fit optical switching in there.  Mrs_MD decided on a theme for this one I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

The other pedal I finished this morning is a Function(fx) Clusterfuzz on Vero a fantastic sounding original fuzz circuit.  This is definitely going onto my pedalboard.

Gratuitous black sparkle enclosure shot 

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fine work indeed :) 

Very pleased you're back to it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Thanks Andy I appreciate that.   :)   Loving the progress updates on your recent endeavors 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Nice job on that vero layout for the fuzz. Looks great 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Can't comment on the sounds, but ... impressive wiring and graphics!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Thanks gents I've been playing all day since I finished them and they're sounding fantastic.  
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I've got to ask how are you doing the graphics, I see so many impressive looking pedals lately.
    I only use pre powder coated enclosures now so I don't waste time sanding, priming and painting anymore.  I edit the images using GIMP which is a free pc photo editing suite then print onto self adhesive inkjet paper and pour envirotex (epoxy resin) over the top.  

Juan Solo has an epic guide to envirotex on his website.  It's much better than trying to clearcoat over water slide decals.  
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Nice job... How come the inside of my boxes don't look this neat?  They look an absoute mess actually :)
    Actually I kind of know why, it's because I squeeze them into small spaces.  You have plenty of room inside that fuzz.
    When I started I used to detest boxing them up they always looked like an absolute mess.  These days I take my time and plan it out before I do anything.  I tend to do dry runs and then solder everything in a specific order to make them as neat as possible and as easy to work on later as i can make them.  
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Adam_MD said:
    I only use pre powder coated enclosures now so I don't waste time sanding, priming and painting anymore.  I edit the images using GIMP which is a free pc photo editing suite then print onto self adhesive inkjet paper and pour envirotex (epoxy resin) over the top.  

Juan Solo has an epic guide to envirotex on his website.  It's much better than trying to clearcoat over water slide decals.  
    Thanks...I googled it so others don't have to: http://stompage.juansolo.co.uk/finishing.html  :) 
    Apologies if it's already in the FAQ/pinned posts etc.
    aord43 said:

Thanks...I googled it so others don't have to: http://stompage.juansolo.co.uk/finishing.html  :) 
    Apologies if it's already in the FAQ/pinned posts etc.
    That's the one it's an excellent guide super easy to follow.  I had great results the first time I tried it.  
    two updates which I finished today.  First up is an Amp 11 clone on two fuzzdog pcbs and is part of my mission to complete the entire Tim family tree  D  I settled on 1n60s for the clipping on the electra distortion.

Next one is another klone. I've used this graphic before and was very happy with the klone I already had but my OCD being a fickle bitch really didn't like it so built this on another fuzzdog pcb with a switch to turn the buffer on and off.  This seems to have solved the problem with my ocd.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Very classy case and what neat boards!
    Thanks Andy I have a bit of a fetish for neat boards and tidy wiring.  It's pretty easy to do if you put some thought into it.  
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1072
    Fantastic work ! Love the black/Gold & Elvin script,super neat PCB/Wiring 

How do you think the envirotex would work out on a guitar body? have you had any nasty reactions/crows feeting with your base paints/finishes?
    Well it's epoxy resin so I don't think it'll help with vibrations in the body.  It would be thicker than most poly finishes people don't like on cheaper epis etc

You'd also never be able to coat an entire body it would just run off the sides and back before it set.  I just cover the tops of pedals as per Juan and Cleggys guide.  

I havent had any reactions to anything I've poured it on. 
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1072
    Hey Adam_MD

Thanks for the reply i'll throw a pack on my shopping list

I asked because I fancy doing a playing card topped super strat (much like greg howe's on the cover of his Ascend album) so i need a pore on finish for the front that will self level and fill the gaps between each cards corner edge,the rest of the body will be sprayed white/clear coated ect ,i did a test with RPC but it reacts nastily when it comes into contact with the rattle can finish.

Cheers
    Gizmo

Been a while since I've been able to finish anything I finally got some time tonight to put this into the enclosure.  It's an excellent effect based on the Harmonic Tremolo in old brown face Fender amps by Jon Patton.  1776 effects sells the pcb and matched transistors for this if anyone is interested. 

I've never had a harmonic tremolo before I like it a lot it also sounds really nice in the standard tremolo mode too.  One awesome bonus if you turn down the rate and depth and turn up the volume it's also a fantastic boost.  I can't see this coming off my board anytime soon.

While it sounds great i'm not as happy with the envirotex I ended up with some really really small bubbles in the finish which you only notice up close under really bright light and can't see when it's on the board but it's still irritating.  Here's some obligatory pics.

I decided to rebuild my first ever pedal I was originally just going to redo the wiring but it was pretty noisy and the 3pdt was borked so I just pulled the guts and gave it a complete overhaul.  It's a Son of Clay Jones on a tagboard effects layout which I added the extra clipping options from the landgraff.  I'm really digging this now it sounds pretty sweet the difference between this version and the original in night and day.

This is how it originally looked I was super pleased with this back in Aug 2015

I don't actually have a gutshot for this I think I was too excited to get it working and just shoved all the wires in wherever I could get them to fit 

And after

I had to move the dc socket because I put the extra clipping in and didn't have as much clearance as I thought I did.  I'll grab a 12mm rubber bung/gasket from a hardware store to fill the hole

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Seeing as i’m waiting on parts to turn up for my tapeish delay I put this together to allow me to properly A/B circuits without them affecting each other.  Almost everything in this in reused from older builds so didn’t really cost me anything apart from time.  

The guts are a bit messier than usual but it’s quiet and as it’s just for me to check circuits out it’ll work fine.

Vic & Bob work quite well on here I think.  

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom