"Terror" - old-school thrash metal song

What's Hot
I always wanted to write a simple straight-forward thrash metal song and finally overcame my lazyness and simply did it. I just went away from the standard lyrics themes of the 90-ties thrash and go social. The song is simply mixed in Audacity, no mastering, effects or anything of the sort, so please - excuse the quality of the finish. Hope you like it, and comments are welcome.
Terror
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited September 2017
    Well, I listened to all of it from start to end, which is a good sign I guess!

Not going to write an essay about it, but just a quick comment on the mix... I thought there was far too much mids on the guitar tone, it made it sound boxy and wierd, almost like it was played on a synthesiser. I think it needs more treble to bring out the pick attack, to make the palm muted 16th notes a bit less mushy and more defined.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you, very appreciated. Boxy is really the right word. Unfortunately the sound engineering is my weakest side, but I will try with the EQ to see what I can do.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited September 2017
    I really liked this - the main verse riff was slightly exodusy which is always a good sign. Sound wise it sounded good to me, but either way I wouldnt sweat it because a lot of 80s thrash sounded absolutely horrible. Do another one!
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Sounds authentic to me ( not an expert though.)

If you want it to chart you will have to change the middle 8 for a rap in Jamaican Patois. (Joke.)

I think we would benefit from hearing some more of the story behind this.  
    What guitar are you using?
    What are the lyric?
    How did you build it? From the drums up? What scales etc?

I know it might come across as arrogant if you offered all this at the start but I think it is what raises these thing above average.
  • Thanks also to you, BloodEagle!
    I have applied some EQ and publish it again (under the same link). Hopefully now sounds better. I think it is time to invest in some sound gear, not only a 10 years old laptop with crappy 25EUR headphones :)
  • Sounds better to me.

I still think the guitar sits too prominently in the mix. Either bring everything else up a bit or take the guitar down a notch (either in volume or scoop out the mids in the 1kHz range more).

But that's just my opinion.

• Veganic said:
    I think we would benefit from hearing some more of the story behind this.  
    What guitar are you using?
    What are the lyric?
    How did you build it? From the drums up? What scales etc?

Sure I will share this info - finally it is a guitar enthusiast forum and not an artwork promotion site :)

First - the guitars. I have a cheap Epiphone Les Paul Special II and Gibson Les Paul Studio. Usually I practice on the Epi (easy and fun to play) and record with the Gibson (fantastic guitar with more refined sound). This time I have used both, as the rough primal sound of the 700T humbucker of the Epiphone was just fitting the song right. I have recorded the rhythm guitars twice - the one goes in the right channel, the other - in the left channel. This gives to the sound more  density, but also makes it sound less monolith - a question of compromise. On both guitars I use the bridge pickups.
    I use a guitar processor (ZOOM G3Xn) and enter the signal directly to the IN via sound controller (UCA222 from Behringer). My effect chain in the Zoom is : ZNR -> MetalWRLD -> MS4x12.
    The bass is played on the guitar (the Gibson) on the neck pickup and with the chain on the Zoom : Oct -> GtGEQ.
    Recording and mixing is simply done with Audacity. It does not have really a lot of functionalities, so it is more or less like a live recording...
    The drums are programmed on the open source drum machine Hydrogen2. I remember I have downloaded some additional samples from the forum of the web-site of Hydrogen.
    Voice - the vocals are simply recorded and mixed, no additional effects are applied on them (not even compressor). Initially I tried to sing clean, but my voice sounds ridiculously childish when recorded. That´s why I tried to learn some screaming techniques from Youtube. Obviously I didn´t really get how to do it, but something came nevertheless out and I have used what I had. This singing requires really loud screaming, that´s why I am recording outside - I drive in the fields or forest at night (Germany is a kind of crowded, in the day you hardly find a place where no people walk around). I understand that I look like a psychopath who think he is a werewolf or such, and I had luck till now, that no one called Police and I didn´t end in the madhouse :)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Maynehead said:

Sounds better to me.

I still think the guitar sits too prominently in the mix. Either bring everything else up a bit or take the guitar down a notch (either in volume or scoop out the mids in the 1kHz range more).

But that's just my opinion.

After listening to it for weeks, I have lowered the guitar a little :)
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Have a "wow." I'd add a wis and a lol if I could 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I've added the LOL, driving around screaming like a psychopathic werewolf really made me laugh, good job!!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    That's FKN GREAT!

Just made me feel ace. Love it.
  • Thank you, guys, appreciate it!