Taming the pinky one!

What's Hot
So, spider exercises. I'm sure I'm not the only one who really struggles to keep the pinky finger close to the fret board when doing spider exercise even let alone real life riffs. Tips on mastering this? I have noticed raising the neck and playing in a more classical position helps. Playing very vey very slow also almost gets it good but I still cannot tame it Grrrr!!

Should I give a damn given I'm older and life is too short?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited October 2017
    Ive by no means mastered it but this way of doing it helped me loads. All your fingers stay on the frets until its time to play the next note.

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    @Flink_Poyd yep still trying that (making use of muting technique to prevent other strings ringing). Maybe just takes a looong time I heard the other day a classical player saying it took her thousands of hours. I can see why!
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    edited September 2017
    I am always amazed by people who seem to play really well with minimal use of the little finger.  It's almost like Django had it easier not harder.  If your hands are big enough just save it for when you have no choice?

I wouldn't worry too much. What is your partucular issue? Does it stick out like you having tea with the Vicar or something else? 

Maybe try taping it to the ring finger? :)
    @Veganic ;
    Usual issue - pinky raising when high when playing scales finder exercises - yes like having tea with vicar :-) In theory it has further to travel so can slow you down. I understand may be a millisecond but I'd like to reinforce a good habit as recommended by some guitarist. I do realise that people like SRV didn't exactly adhere to all rules, hence the should I give a damn :-)
    Try playing with just your little finger? 
    Play some 4 finger box chord shapes with all fingers down (more musical than spiders)?
    Instead of forming a "claw" get your thumb round the back and keep all fingers straighter?

Fingers are weird.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Veganic ;;
    You mean where the very last joint of the finger should curve I'm curious, hard with text, pictures may help.

edited October 2017

It's like when you are playing the low E. Your fingers are straighter, well mine are.  Now instead of keeping your thumb in position and curving your fingers, move your thumb down (toward the floor) and keep the same shape.  At the end your thumb might be past the centre of the neck. 
    It's something I have been experimenting with. It seems to have a few advantages for me, relaxed hand, less fretting force, easier to roll the fingers.  It is still early days on this one though.

See if these videos explain any better:

Both are forced flatter by relative size of hand and guitar neck.

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    Don't treat your little finger like a poor relation of all the other fingers, let it do some vibrato, bends*, slides etc.

You'll develop a better mental connection with it if you express with it rather than it just being like a passive mallet that you occasionally flop down when you can't play something with just the other 3 fingers.

*By all means support it with your other fingers at the time, I'm not crazy.