If you don't add a tone control to your guitar .....

What's Hot
would it be at max treble? I'm thinking of leaving it off as these days I usually have tone on max treble.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    There's be nothing to filter away the unwanted frequencies, so effectively yes, max treble and possibly a little bit more (which is why sometimes blower switches are fitted to bypass vol and/or tone pots in the circuit).

(is my understanding).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Yes that’s my understanding. 

And its certainly worth thinking about. I use my tone control quite a bit. But have a wonderful Feline Guitar that doesn’t have one. 

Never missed it 

You just find another way of doing the same thing 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Yes, it's the same as turning a tone control up to 11 and leaving it there :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I've had this on two of my guitars. It's great and you can just slightly roll down the volume to cut the highs if you want a darker tone.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Assuming it's a passive, leaving out the tone circuit (ie. a pot and a cap) will be the same as having it on full treble.

I've been making a partscaster and haven't got 'round to putting the tone pots in yet.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Think you get about 2dB more volume without a tone control loading the system down as well.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    Fender Cabronitas are wired like that, and yes, they're kind of in-your-face sounding. I've occasionally wondered about taking the treble bleed cap off the volume control on mine so that it darkens up a bit more when the volume's rolled off. Or maybe a preset tone circuit on a push-pull volume pot, which I believe is what the horribly expensive custom shop originals had... 
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    My Gibson Melody Maker has no tone control fitted. Great for punk type sounds and, strangely enough, country if the volume is rolled back a bit.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I fitted one of them no load pots to my tele - I like it.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    JayGee said:
    Fender Cabronitas are wired like that, and yes, they're kind of in-your-face sounding. I've occasionally wondered about taking the treble bleed cap off the volume control on mine so that it darkens up a bit more when the volume's rolled off. Or maybe a preset tone circuit on a push-pull volume pot, which I believe is what the horribly expensive custom shop originals had... 
    Er, there is no treble bypass network on the 2011 Tele-bration La Cabronita model. (I just looked to make certain.) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.