new tune

What's Hot
this is something I've been working on for a while that started off with the intro lick/riff, then led to using my 7-string for the first time in ages, and a tiny bit of fretless (not brave enough to record much lead with it yet...!). 

Also, if anyone knows of any courses available (either online or ones you can attend in person) in basic/intermediate sound recording/use of DAWs etc I'd be very interested. My limitations with Logic are starting to get frustrating, and I really don't get on with the stuff available on youtube. I really want to get my stuff a bit more polished sounding.
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    Very impressive playing and although it is very technique based they is a good tune there as well. 

Production wise it's not half bad but if you want to lean more about recording \ DAW \ production then the vault on Gearslutz has a mine of tutorials 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Superb stuff ! Loving it !!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    thanks both  =) Cheers @Danny1969 , I'll take a look there. Never been on that site before. As long as it's simple/step-by-step then that's good...I tend to find it easier to learn stuff by doing it with/following someone else, but I'll definitely check it out. This ended up with 50+ tracks of guitar which is massively unnecessary (if you know what you're doing). It's really simple stuff I don't know how to do - like if you I have some rhythm guitar on one track, and want to record another part straight after it, the new bit I record mutes the end bit of the previous part...
  • Bloody hell! That's incredibly inventive and extraordinary music. I'm very impressed. Great technique and great imagination.
    It's not a competition.
  • @Vibetronic, that was STRAIGHT in there, right at the start - brilliant! The start bit which is repeated at 1:40 again is brilliant. 

Like how at 3:40 you hover around the same group of notes instead of running from the bottom to the top of the neck as everybody seems to do. 4:10 section is cool. 

I've missed your playing ! :)

I'm no master with the DAWs either but TBH I don't want to have to be - I still use jamstix for drums and Tracktion is so simple to use, there's nothing I've not been able to do relatively easily. I've been doing that for over ten years now.. 

• kinkin Frets: 1015
    Stunning mate, way beyond anything I can do playing or production wise so I can’t help you.
    keep doing it, it’s very good.
  • Wow, what fantastic playing, like Vai and Malmsteen battling it out. That middle section was wonderfully creative too.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    thanks, you're all very kind  =)

@thomasross20 - the bit at 3:40 was entirely accidental. I had actually meant to go up and down the neck, but my fingers were nice and warmed up and settled into a pattern, so I kept it. I know what you mean at not being a master of it - I pretty much use Logic like an old Tascam 8-track tape recorder, but on the computer and with more tracks, and it works - but I'd just like to know a few more tricks on getting it sounding a bit more professional, and how to mix/master properly. 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I don't have anything to add here other than to compliment you on a great job - nicely controlled playing, some very imaginative touches. Great job!
  • TBH I think there is sometimes too much emphasis on mixing and mastering, over actual songwriting and musicianship. Sometimes I feel folk would rather listen to dross that's been produced well as opposed to a brilliant piece of music that hasn't. Sorry for being cynical on that point.
  • Now I've recovered after being blown away by your audio clip, in answer to your question I've purchased quite a few tutorials from Groove3 over the years, which I've found to be very good. See link below:

https://www.groove3.com/

It's not a competition.
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Feck!!! That’s good. The thing I like the most, all those layers. 
    thanks all for the comments, really appreciate it  =) 

@stratman3142  - thanks, that's great. I think when I get a free weekend day I'll sign up for a month pass on that. They've got a basic run-through guide to Logic 9 which will be a good start. I think a better way of putting it is that I want to get more efficient at using it. 

@Danny1969 - I took a look at the gearslutz forum - obviously masses of stuff on there, and at first look it's very technical and a bit over my head with my current abilities. Once I get better at it though, I think it'll definitely be useful for specific elements I need help with.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 584
    TBH I think there is sometimes too much emphasis on mixing and mastering, over actual songwriting and musicianship. Sometimes I feel folk would rather listen to dross that's been produced well as opposed to a brilliant piece of music that hasn't. Sorry for being cynical on that point.

Meh, I'm in two minds on that ... a great track can be ruined by bad production and something mediocre can be made to really shine.  It really is an art of its own and God knows I'm not any good at it, but I try.  

@Vibetronic man, you know I love this cos I said as much on there last night.  It's brilliant mate as usual.  And I don't hear any production issues, sounds good to me! 

• I know what you're saying @Bezzer :)
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    edited October 2017
    Fucking amazing as always Vibe. You've got even better since 2002 haha, and I didn't believe that was possible! I love those triumphant sections with the long chords - the choruses? Then the chaos bits in contrast. Thrilling stuff!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Fucking amazing as always Vibe. You've got even better since 2002 haha, and I didn't believe that was possible! I love those triumphant sections with the long chords - the choruses? Then the chaos bits in contrast. Thrilling stuff!
    cheers mate, appreciate it :) 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    Bloody hell! That's incredibly inventive and extraordinary music. I'm very impressed. Great technique and great imagination.
    This ^^ and ...
    viz said:
    Fucking amazing
    ... this ^^ too!

And you want to get better???
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Spider fingers!!
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

That was fucking brilliant.

Now........ where did I put that Tele!