Katana Update!

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

Boss have just dropped a new update for the Katana!

https://www.boss.info/global/products/katana-100/downloads/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    edited October 2017
    This is a really impressive update. Lots of new features. 

Brilliant, one of the changes is you can move the effects loop to the end of the signal chain. Much better for use with looper pedals.

• Another great feature is the reverb block can now be delay/reverb or just delay.

That means you can use other blocks for boost, or even two different modulations, and then use the final reverb block for delay. 

New cabinet resonance options. too.

And a global EQ. Crikey Boss. 

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Wow - that's great!  This gives me hope that they might eventually add the hidden amp models too.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • BOSS are knocking it out of the park in the past year or so. The 500 series pedals, the MS-3, the ES-8 editor and the Katana update.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    What I *really* want is an auto-save mode where all tweaks you make to a channel are automatically saved (like the Line6 M-series pedals).  Would make it so much easier to balance channels etc on the fly at gigs.

Trading feedback here
  • Trude said:
    What I *really* want is an auto-save mode where all tweaks you make to a channel are automatically saved (like the Line6 M-series pedals).  Would make it so much easier to balance channels etc on the fly at gigs.
    but then it would overwrite the previous setting. i prefer to know i have my settings until i conciously decide to replace them with the new one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited October 2017
    Good summary here:

Trude said:
    but then it would overwrite the previous setting. i prefer to know i have my settings until i conciously decide to replace them with the new one
    Yeah, that's exactly what I want.  Basically I'd rather it behave like a real amp with real knobs so I can tweak it on the fly without having to press & hold a button before changing channels.  Much easier for AB-ing settings as well as making mid-song adjustments at a gig.

I realise not everyone will want that behaviour - I'd be happy for it to be a toggle setting in Tone Studio (or via a special button combination on the panel)

Trading feedback here
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Took me a fair while to install new version but worth it. New delay, phase & flange all excellent on my KT50. What I’d like is mobile app to avoid lugging laptop around but can’t complain...
    what happens if you now do a factory reset? Do you get 4 new settings or would it revert to original V1 2 presets?!
    How do you switch between the two banks of presets?
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Hold down Panel whilst pressing Ch1 or Ch2. A bit fiddly but works. (Assuming I’m doing it right.)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    scarry67 said:
    Took me a fair while to install new version but worth it. New delay, phase & flange all excellent on my KT50. What I’d like is mobile app to avoid lugging laptop around but can’t complain...
    what happens if you now do a factory reset? Do you get 4 new settings or would it revert to original V1 2 presets?!
    With most things when you do an update like this is updates the image of the factory setup as well, so it would act like a brand new V2.

Well done Boss for issuing this on existing amps not knocking out a "v2" in shops ghosts basically just a software patch (cough Blackstar id core cough)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    andyoz said:
    How do you switch between the two banks of presets?
    Cool, I need to read up how it's done from footswitch too. 4 clean and 4 dirty presets will be good to have.
    Long hold on the footswitch panel button 

Trading feedback here
  • scarry67 said:
    Hold down Panel whilst pressing Ch1 or Ch2. A bit fiddly but works. (Assuming I’m doing it right.)
    It's not as complicated.

You just hold down panel and it'll switch to the second bank.

With the footswitch you do the same. 

The panel light on the amp/footswitch flashes to show you're in bank B.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

There are additional instructions on the Boss product manual page...and the necessary update files etc.

Super impressed for such a low price unit.

One function I'd fancy is being able to use the footswitch Channel buttons to save on the fly settings...i.e. have the footswitch mimic the way you hold down one of the amp Channels buttons to save.  Alot easier to do under pressure compared to pushing the wee panel button?
    edited October 2017

There are additional instructions on the Boss product manual page...and the necessary update files etc.

Super impressed for such a low price unit.

Good stuff, found it.

https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-100/owners_manuals/

I see the Panel buttons flashes slowly when Bank B is chosen, was wondering how they would show that.  The footswitch lights do the same.  I bet alot of people will have bank A as cleans and Bank B as drives so the flashing light makes sense to me anyway (i.e. warning - you on the Drive bank buddy!)
  • Best new feature for me is the ability to move where the FX loop is placed in the chain. Having it forced to just after the amp model was the one feature of the amp I didn't like when I bought it.

I'm sure I'll also make use of the ability to have delay and reverb in a single FX block, freeing up another for mod as well. 

• love this amp but its taken me a couple of months to feel comfortable with the first version software. I have about two weeks of gigs and then i will try the ypdate so will have a bit of time to practise before next months gigs. didnt see, will i lose my settings i have made when i update?