Katana Update!

What's Hot

Comments

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    love this amp but its taken me a couple of months to feel comfortable with the first version software. I have about two weeks of gigs and then i will try the ypdate so will have a bit of time to practise before next months gigs. didnt see, will i lose my settings i have made when i update?
    All of my settings survived the update, so you should be fine.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just been reading the supplemental manual  page released with the update.

Discovered another cool thing - for owners of the  GA-FC footswitch. 

If you plug a footswitch into the volume expression pedal input of the GA-FC you can use it to instantly switch between banks A & B without having to hold panel down for a second.

But what if I want to use that input for my volume pedal? You may ask. Here's something I've already discovered on the original firmware.  If not set to another effect - such as wah - an expression pedal plugged into the GA-FC effects input will act as a volume pedal.   So you can still have a volume pedal and a footswitch for changing banks.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    They should have an option to reassign the Presence knob to be your favourite effect. I'd have it as a dedicated analogue delay.

My presence knob never alters from 12 o'clock.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    scarry67 said:
    Took me a fair while to install new version but worth it. New delay, phase & flange all excellent on my KT50. What I’d like is mobile app to avoid lugging laptop around but can’t complain...
    what happens if you now do a factory reset? Do you get 4 new settings or would it revert to original V1 2 presets?!

If you have an Android phone that supports USB OTG then you can use this unofficial app

https://github.com/katana-dev/android-katana-editor

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Sweet. 

But I’m baffled. 
    So with the Katana 50, I have the Fs-5l footswitch. 

Going by the supplementary manuals images, it seems to show that to switch banks via an fs-5l footswitch, you need to buy another one, and a Y cable too. 
    Presumably then after that, one footswitch selects banks, while the other selects channel? 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11675
    Did this update this morning - I love the new delay + reverb option, adds an extra slot for clean FX, excellent!

The two extra slots for my 50 are also a big plus.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    I should update my previous post! 

I picked up another fs-5l and a 1/4” stereo to dual 1/4” mono Y cable today after doing the update. 

Now my Katana 50 has 4 footswitchable channels, woo! Albeit not as good as having 4 straight channels, because theyre banked, but hey, Its a nice improvement for home use! 

Monday will be a morning of setting the tones for each channel now haha. 
    Well done Boss, the Katana 50 remains easily the best sub 200 quid amp now.
  • Well done Boss, the Katana 50 remains easily the best sub 200 quid amp now.

Possibly best sub 300. Jet city gives it a run for its money, and some bugera, but still... 
    You know what, I was seriously wanting the 100 watter just for the 4 channels, even though 100 watt of solid state is still way overkill for my bedroom use. 

But 0.5 watts, lovely! Even 25watt on the 50. 

The downside was only 2 channels.. 

So now its got 4, I’m happy! 
    Had mine since May, and its my main amp. The price, the sounds and the quality (so far) really does make it hard to beat. 

Its definately killed my gassing for any other small ‘practice amp’. 

I did love my old Id core blackstar 20 for its super wide stereo effects, but its no where near as competitve given the Katana isnt that much more! 
    edited October 2017
    skunkwerx said:
    I did love my old Id core blackstar 20 for its super wide stereo effects, but its no where near as competitve given the Katana isnt that much more! 
    FWIW the Core still has a few advantages, accessibility and type of headphone jack is one and size is another.  Plus Stereo, and a tuner built in.

What looks insanely overpriced by comparison is the Yamaha THR.

I'm surprised the Core 10 hasn't killed sales of those a bit to be honest.  It costs far far less for similar performance.

Edit: What the Katana really kills is the Core Stereo 40, though if Blackstar had a lot made expect to see huge bargains on those soon.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    scarry67 said:
    Took me a fair while to install new version but worth it. New delay, phase & flange all excellent on my KT50. What I’d like is mobile app to avoid lugging laptop around but can’t complain...
    what happens if you now do a factory reset? Do you get 4 new settings or would it revert to original V1 2 presets?!

If you have an Android phone that supports USB OTG then you can use this unofficial app

Has anyone got this app to work..? Experiences..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Yes I had it working on a Samsung S6, no problems.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    usedtobe said:
    scarry67 said:

Has anyone got this app to work..? Experiences..?

It worked with the Katana I tried in GuitarGuitar, I doubt it will be updated for V2 because the dev seems to have disappeared and he didn't open source his code.

There is a guy developing an open library that communicates with the Katana and someone could build a front end for that.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672

I updated my 50w combo the other day and all seems well.

There's a whole load of things available which probably invalidate the warranty, including loads of stuff off the GT-100 which seems to be closely connected to the amp.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=ea7857404dd48f67246ea755c542ddae&topic=20625.0

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=240.0

There are a lot of patches available there too.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • What's the best footswitching option for the 50?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    What's the best footswitching option for the 50?
    I believe any latching footswitch will switch channels but I stand to be corrected
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    What's the best footswitching option for the 50?
    I believe any latching footswitch will switch channels but I stand to be corrected
    ...confirmed!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    2 button switch for the k50. Jobs a good un!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    edited October 2017
    usedtobe said:
    2 button switch for the k50. Jobs a good un!
    Is that just to go between ch1 and ch2?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent