Amp build ideas needed for massive transformer ...

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
edited October 2017 in Making & Modding tFB Trader
Have a random transformer here - it's a beast of a thing, so I need suitably mad amp circuit suggestions to use it in.

Specs are:

5v at 3A
6.3v at 7A
75v at 100ma bias
450v at 250ma 

Ideas so far are some kind of valve bass amp - 2 or 4 KT88 should be no problem for the TX

Any more suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    The 5V output makes me think of digital applications. So a valve amp with some madcap digital processors built into the front end..?
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Ravenous said:
    The 5V output makes me think of digital applications. So a valve amp with some madcap digital processors built into the front end..?
    5v is for a valve rectifier :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    250mA isn't a lot at 450V - that's barely enough for a typical 50W amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ravenous said:
    5v is for a valve rectifier :)

Heh I have never poked around in a valve amp, so I wondered why on earth it would need 5V and 6.3V!

Thanks.

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    250mA isn't a lot at 450V - that's barely enough for a typical 50W amp.
    What a strange transformer it is then ... hmmm
    It's the 7A 6.3V rating that's surprising - even a pair of EL34s don't draw anything like that, and that's probably the highest power valve draw it would need to handle give the HT rating - but what if it's designed for something with a huge number of preamp valves...

All-valve digital modelling amp? ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

About the size of a Google server building, and preferably built in Greenland to save on the cooling bills....
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Perhaps it's from a hi-fi amp which would have double the number of valves.
    normula1 said:
    And in the old days, a - highly dangerous by modern standards! - multi-pin connector to supply a separate preamp with power, since they usually didn't have a PT of their own.

That would make sense. So you could be driving four EL34s in the power amp - although at fairly low audio output power, so no need for a big HT current - and possibly 6-10 preamp valves depending on how complex the preamp was.

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Four channel guitar amp, each channel having lots of gain options, and independent EQ, reverb and tremolo. Maybe some valves for silent switching?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 187
    ICBM said:
    It's the 7A 6.3V rating that's surprising - even a pair of EL34s don't draw anything like that, and that's probably the highest power valve draw it would need to handle give the HT rating - but what if it's designed for something with a huge number of preamp valves...

From an old valve-based organ, perhaps?  Those had large numbers of preamp valves and usually only a small power amp, and are the kind of thing that might get broken up for parts nowadays. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    is it a matchless spec PT, that heater current may have been used to power those little bulbs in the amp.... and some Christmas lights too
    tFB Trader
    is it a matchless spec PT, that heater current may have been used to power those little bulbs in the amp.... and some Christmas lights too
    I could use it to power an amp and a load of LED stage lights ... :)

Which Matchless would use a B+ that high? Not the EL84 ones I'm guessing ...
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader

No EL84's for sure, I would try something with big bottles, Like KT88's
    tFB Trader

Yeah, 2x KT88 into a 4.5k load seems about right for the TX. Maybe a Hifi amp ... hmmm
    4114Effects said:

The Phoenix is 2-EL34, although I don't know what the HT voltage is.

MartinB said:

From an old valve-based organ, perhaps?  Those had large numbers of preamp valves and usually only a small power amp, and are the kind of thing that might get broken up for parts nowadays.  
    Good call. It must be something of this general spec, anyway.

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    4114Effects said:

The Phoenix is 2-EL34, although I don't know what the HT voltage is.

MartinB said:

Good call. It must be something of this general spec, anyway.
    Deffo not from an organ. It's a modern production TX from Danbury. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    ICBM said:
    normula1 said:
    And in the old days, a - highly dangerous by modern standards! - multi-pin connector to supply a separate preamp with power, since they usually didn't have a PT of their own.

That would make sense. So you could be driving four EL34s in the power amp - although at fairly low audio output power, so no need for a big HT current - and possibly 6-10 preamp valves depending on how complex the preamp was.
    I inherited one of those. The mains lead came into the preamp chassis which had the power switch and from there was a two pin AC power cable to the power amp chassis and a separate eight pin Bulgin? plug for the pre-amp signal going one way and DC power and heater going the other way. This connector also provided ground.

I still have the power chassis albeit now fitted with a proper IEC mains socket and the eight way connector well and truly disconnected :)
    It wasn't uncommon to have the mains cable going to the power amp, but the on/off switch on the preamp - next to the controls obviously - so the multi-pin connector carried ground, signal (x2 if stereo), filaments, HT (usually around 250VDC) and two live mains wires, one unswitched... all down a lashed-up cable bundle with some shielded and some unshielded wires all in a loose rubber sleeve!

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

I know what it is! ;)