Headstock veneer buckled / lifting

The headstock veneer on my Guild Starfire V (1969) is partially lifted / curling up a bit around the edges. It's a pretty common problem with old Guilds as I understand it, the veneer is a celluloid type material which tends to shrink with age or react to heat, which looks like it might have happened here.

Any tips for repair / replacement? I'm not bothered about it being a pristine job really, just flattened out and tidied up would be ok... Thought I'd take it into Jaydee to see what they think (I'm in Birmingham) but any luthier's insights or recommendations for someone to do the work would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16657
    remove the tuners.  gently heat the celluloid with a hair dryer or iron then once it starts to become more pliable clamp it flat  

I would look at gluing it with hide glue as this will melt and remelt as needed with the heat 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great, thanks. That sounds manageable, I think... Out of interest do you have an idea of the cost / effort involved in getting a pro to replace the whole thing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom