Scale length - where do you measure to??

axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
edited October 2017 in Making & Modding
I'm making a new neck to go on an existing body I have with a floyd rose trem. Due to intonation, the saddles are in different places. Which do you measure to for scale length. Nearest? average distance?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    The bridge should be placed so the top E saddle is dead on the scale length when it's at its furthest forward adjustment position. The normal position for the top E will be very slightly back from this, and no other string will be that far forward, so there is no need to have the bridge any further forwards than that, and it gives the maximum room for backward movement on the other saddles. If the baseplate has two rows of screw holes for the saddle clamp screws, make sure it's in the furthest forward one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    It practical home build terms it makes sense to set the saddles 3/4-   7/8ths of the way forward depending on the bridge, not all the way forward.

call it fudge room.  Shouldn't be needed but you are glad of it being there when it is
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Thanks people! Good advice here as always
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    The other thing to consider on strat/tele style bridges is the tension on the saddle springs... leaving them too far forward can be more prone to rattles.  That won't be an issue on a floyd though