Cut and paste from Waters' website ^

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    @GuitarZero ;

Thanks for the heads up on this.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Can't get into his solo career at all. Should have stuck with Pink Floyd for me!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    Well with a Waters tour you can pretty much hear any Pink Floyd track cos Waters wrote 99 % of them ... With PF you get co written early stuff from Dark Side and WUWH but generally only Brick, Run and Numb from the Wall as Waters wrote the rest. As much as I'm a huge Gilmour fan I dislike his live versions of Numb with the harmony verse vocal and grungy guitar .... the Waters version with the stripped back verses is far better

@axisus try Radio Kaos for a Waters solo album, I think that's more palatable for non Waters fans. If you can get into his solo albums then it's worth the effort as the guys a genius songwriter 

I nearly brought a ticket for £89 general admission Hyde park, hoping it's gonna be a bit cheaper on Friday
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Danny1969 said:

@axisus try Radio Kaos for a Waters solo album, I think that's more palatable for non Waters fans. If you can get into his solo albums then it's worth the effort as the guys a genius songwriter 

I have that one (and 3 others). To be honest I've never been into solo artists who break away from bands I like for some reason. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    edited October 2017
    Thanks for the heads-up - I will be going assuming it doesn't sell out in seconds flat and isn't some stupid price.

For me Waters was the writing genius in Pink Floyd - Gilmour obviously contributed a lot musically, but without Waters' songs they wouldn't have been even close to as great - proven by the post-Waters output in my opinion. (I don't really like any of it.)

I like his solo work, in particular Amused To Death which I think is possibly his greatest work, although The Final Cut might edge it - I tend to think of it as more of a Waters album than a Pink Floyd one. I've never liked The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking as much although it has its moments, and for some reason I've never really got into Radio Kaos. The new one is good, but it needs more time to really sink in I think.

He also wrote a great song for Marianne Faithfull which is on her Give My Love To London album, and although I doubt he will play that, who knows...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I saw him when he toured Dark Side of the moon. Was a fabulous gig. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Excellent news. Thanks for that. The Wall tour he did in 2013 was absolutely brilliant, if it's anywhere near as good as that we're in for a treat.
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    edited October 2017
    For anyone who is worried about lots and lots of solo material, here's his set list from one of his shows in Boston a week or two ago.  I saw The Wall at the 02, I was lucky enough to be there on the Gilmour night.  Before that I saw the In the Flesh tour when he played Wembley Arena in 2002.  It was a great night which was basically 90% Floyd, he even got Nick Mason on to do a song or two.

Breathe
    One of these days
    Time
    Great gig in the sky
    Welcome to the machine
    When we were young (solo)
    Deja Vu (solo)
    Last refugee (solo)
    Picture that (solo)
    Wish you were here
    Happiest days of our lives
    Another brick Pts 1&2
    Dogs
    Pigs - 3 different kinds
    Money
    Us and them
    Smell the roses (solo)
    Brain damage
    Eclipse
    Vera
    Bring the boys back home
    Comfortably numb

edited October 2017
    ICBM said:
    Thanks for the heads-up - I will be going assuming it doesn't sell out in seconds flat and isn't some stupid price.

For me Waters was the writing genius in Pink Floyd - Gilmour obviously contributed a lot musically, but without Waters' songs they wouldn't have been even close to as great - proven by the post-Waters output in my opinion. (I don't really like any of it.)

I like his solo work, in particular Amused To Death which I think is possibly his greatest work, although The Final Cut might edge it - I tend to think of it as more of a Waters album than a Pink Floyd one. I've never liked The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking as much although it has its moments, and for some reason I've never really got into Radio Kaos. The new one is good, but it needs more time to really sink in I think.

He also wrote a great song for Marianne Faithfull which is on her Give My Love To London album, and although I doubt he will play that, who knows...
    I'm with you all the way. Nobody writes lyrics like Roger and clearly he was a huge influence after Syd left the band. I too didn't really care for the post Waters Floyd, I found it all a bit wishy washy.

Whilst I like Pro's and Cons, I'm not sure Clapton was the right choice of guitarist, something just felt off. Radio Kaos was decent,but it felt forced as an album, somehow it just didn't flow properly.  I think he got it absolutely spot on with Amused to Death and his choice of guitarist, Jeff Beck was perfect.  The haunting guitar in the Ballad of Bill Hubbard was a superb backdrop to that particular story.  It was an amazing album and very very underrated in my opinion.  I'm a little disappointed that the setlist above doesn't include anything from Amused to Death. When he played Perfect Sense at Wembley he had PP Arnold there screaming it out as only she can, it was fantastic.

I have the new album, there are some good moments on it, but it suffers from a lack of any real guitar work.  It could have been so much better with some really well put together guitar pieces.  I do like it though, but it's miles behind Amused to Death.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If you sign up to a Livenation account at one of the links on my original post, you can get advance tickets.  I just managed to grab a couple of tickets for the Birmingham show on July 7th.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    What's the ticket price, @GuitarZero ?
  • They start at 73.00 for the cheapest, then there are some 95.00 ones and I can't remember the top price.  I always go for seats at the back at any Floyd gig to get the whole experience of the stage show too, so mine were the cheapest.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Ouch. Went online to look at tickets just now, and the Friday at the Hydro is sold out all bar two seats in a crap spot, which are still £96. They've added the Saturday as well, and most of that has gone too… a few at £96 without a great view and quite a lot at £107 left, but that's really pushing it even given how much of a fan I am.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I think at £300 for a couple, with parking and a curry, even as a fan it's gonna raise an eyebrow or two. 

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15958
    edited October 2017

tae be or not tae be
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I remember with the wall tour (I think this was 2013) it was so expensive to see it in London that my wife and I got tickets for the Prague show plus return flights for less.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2017
    ICBM said:
    Ouch. Went online to look at tickets just now, and the Friday at the Hydro is sold out all bar two seats in a crap spot, which are still £96. They've added the Saturday as well, and most of that has gone too… a few at £96 without a great view and quite a lot at £107 left, but that's really pushing it even given how much of a fan I am.
    It is expensive, but the way I see it, there aren't going to be too many more opportunities to see him play.  I expected the prices to be high, because The Wall at the O2 cost us something similar.  I have no idea if this is expensive compared to other artists as I haven't been to many gigs over the last few years.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I saw Waters years ago (and the only time I saw Clapton play live) at Earl's Court for the Pros & Cons Tour. Was okay I suppose, but the Floyd he's not.

I would not go to see/hear him live now even if you paid me. His political views have soured any musical soft spots I might have had for him. Bitter & twisted.

But take me back to pre-Wall Floyd, and it's a different story.

I always consider the Waters-Gilmour partnership in a good light, since Waters brought a hard edginess to Pink Floyd to counteract Gilmour's dreaminess. Or vice versa, in that Gilmour tamed the anger/ bitterness/ rage emanating from Waters.

Give me Meddle or Animals (highly underated) over any of his solo stuff.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    fandango said:
    I saw Waters years ago (and the only time I saw Clapton play live) at Earl's Court for the Pros & Cons Tour. Was okay I suppose, but the Floyd he's not.

I would not go to see/hear him live now even if you paid me. His political views have soured any musical soft spots I might have had for him. Bitter & twisted.

But take me back to pre-Wall Floyd, and it's a different story.

I always consider the Waters-Gilmour partnership in a good light, since Waters brought a hard edginess to Pink Floyd to counteract Gilmour's dreaminess. Or vice versa, in that Gilmour tamed the anger/ bitterness/ rage emanating from Waters.

Give me Meddle or Animals (highly underated) over any of his solo stuff.

^This. Floyd is, for me, definitely one of those bands where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I've seen Waters live and, as you say, Pink Floyd he is not. I wouldn't bother again.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    edited October 2017
    I'm not sure he is pretending to be Pink Floyd, but like Gilmour he plays a selection of his own music and Pink Floyd music live, which they are entitled to do.  As a band they were amazing in their heyday but like many bands once there is a split, things change, and often not for the better.

That said, both times I've seen him live he has been excellent. I don't need much of an excuse to listen to Pink Floyd generally, and if I can go to a gig, see almost a full set of Pink Floyd by one of the founding members, I'm going to be there.

In terms of the political side of things, some I agree with, some I don't, but I'm not going to let whatever it is he believes in detract from the music I've enjoyed for decades.

By the way, I think if you watch some of his more recent interviews you'd probably realise that he is currently the most relaxed he has ever been.  He is often light-hearted and messing around.  Bitter and twisted might have been a good way of describing him once, but it doesn't seem he is anything like as uptight as he was.  He even takes the piss out of himself and the way he used to be.