OffTopic and Behind Closed Doors

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
edited August 2019 in Off Topic
[edit - We've changed the name of Speakers Corner to Behind Closed Doors.  Where this post refers to Speakers Corner / SC, think Behind Closed Doors / BCD.  The intention remains the same.]

A little "tweak" to the organisation of threads here between these two sections.

The original intention of Speakers Corner was that it would be our online equivalent of the real life Hyde Park Speaker's Corner.  A section of the forum where anyone could talk about anything they wanted, as long as it stayed legal.  There was also a (naive) hope that what went on in SC stayed in SC, and disagreements that originated there wouldn't be perpetuated across the rest of the forum.

Whilst the rest of the forum is completely open and viewable by non-members, you have to be signed-up and logged in to be able to view SC.  Even then, you can opt out of SC, and all SC threads are deliberately excluded from the Recent Discussions view.

That way, we thought, all the contentious and NSFW content, and all the intra-membership arguments, would be kept out of public view.  It's not quite worked out that way, and we've let things slide for a while, but it's now time for a bit of a tweak.

By "contentious", we weren't thinking about Bigsbys or whether Strats should have a 12" radius board, but we were thinking about topics that weren't related to the core of the forum (ie gear, music, etc) that were likely to create strong feelings and passionate debate.  Broadly, that's Politics, Religion, Sex, Daily Mail style headlines (etc).  We'll also put some of the more self-absorbed topics in there too - I really doubt that Mr Google and his bots are too bothered about the various comings and goings.

Just to clarify; when Tony Blair returns to ask for tips on his guitar playing, that'll go in the Technique section as now.  If he wants to ask for tips about his day job, that'd go into SC.  If a thread about his guitar playing strays into a debate about his day job, the thread will be split with the appropriate posts going into the separate sections.

Most contentious content is already in SC, but sometimes it leaks across into OT, or topics in OT take an unexpected turn into SC style content.  

So, this is just to announce to all that we'll be taking a slightly more active modmin approach in future, to ensure that the contentious stuff goes into, and stays in, SC.

The purpose is - unashamedly - to present a better image of the forum to the general browsing public, as well as to ourselves.  Any member can opt-in to see SC threads, and can also decide that they don't want to bother with that sort of content and opt-out.  Fundamentally, this is a guitar/music forum and whilst we have no desire or intention to stop the other debates, we do want them clearly separated from the core of the forum.

No other changes.  The rules for OT and SC remain unchanged.  We'll continue to take a very light approach to moderating SC content, and more-or-less anything goes (as long as it's legal), in that section.

Well, no other changes apart from we might rename SC if we can think up a title that's more obviously descriptive of what's in there!
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Fight Club.

Said half in jest, but it might inject some levity, and FC is almost the same as SC. It might suggest that all that happens in there is fights, which may well be true. If nothing else, the phrase "what happens in Fight Club stays in Fight Club" would actually apply, and may even help to encourage just that.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Mos Eisley 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    cj73 said:
    Mos Eisley 

I had to Google that!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    TTony said:

By "contentious", we weren't thinking about Bigsbys or whether Strats should have a 12" radius board ...
    Well, we have to have SOME level of decency, even in SC. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm pleased no-one is thinking about getting rid of it. One of the nice things about "off topic" topics is the broad sweep of opinions people have - because the reason they come here first and foremost is because they're guitarists and not Labour, Conservative, Liberal, etc. So you get to read stuff from outside your normal bubble.

Strats, BTW, should be 7.5in radius. Everyone knows...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited October 2017
    Strats, BTW, should be binned. Everyone knows...
    FTFY

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    VYO - Voice Your Opinion?
    Just an idea. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Maybe an opportunity to apply some machine learning here so that contentious stuff automatically gets moved to SC. I could help with that (assuming that the forum software has the required automation hooks that can call a function and perform a ‘move thread’ action based on the result)
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited October 2017
    mellowsun said:
    Maybe an opportunity to apply some machine learning here so that contentious stuff automatically gets moved to SC. I could help with that (assuming that the forum software has the required automation hooks that can call a function and perform a ‘move thread’ action based on the result)
    Please put that in there. How long will it be before every thread is moved into SC? LOL
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    The problem with automation is that someone will add contentious comments for the pleasure of seeing a thread move. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Fimmel is not a norse name. We are still living under the legacy of the Third Reich.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Just to clarify; when Tony Blair returns to ask for tips on his guitar playing, that'll go in the Technique section as now.  If he wants to ask for tips about his day job, that'd go into SC.  If a thread about his guitar playing strays into a debate about his day job, the thread will be split with the appropriate posts going into the separate sections.

That sounds like an awful lot of work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Call it NSFW or NSFTFB
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    JezWynd said: more

That sounds like an awful lot of work.
    I would go as far as to say unworkable.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Well, that's a relief!

The eradication of OT and SC would have left me effectively homeless, and sleeping rough in a Margate bus shelter.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    can we have a similar thread entitled Two Doors Down??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>