Bit of advice regarding a tuning problem

Greetings folks,

This time, I am after a little assistance regarding a tuning problem on a build from a few years ago. The main bits of the build are fairly unimportant, but it is a 3 a-side headstock and a pre-slotted nut (Tusq if I recall) with a Gotoh 510 bridge, though unfortunately I cant remember the make of tuners.

The problem is that the G string keeps de-tuning itself. There are no obvious fret buzzes/rattles and before I start adjusting the nut with files etc, I wonder if anyone could suggest a sensible workflow. Things to check etc.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Has it always detuned itself or since the last string change?
    Are you tuning UP to pitch? Going sharp then detuning to pitch rarely works due to backlash in the tuners
    Is the string adequately wrapped round the tuner post, could it be slipping?
    Give the string a bit of a tug away from the fretboard to seat the wraps on the tuner post....

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Could just be a duff string. Have you changed it? 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Thanks for the advice - rather embarassingly i havent tried new strings, and the ones that are on it have been there since its' birth. Having said that, it is only the one string that is causing problems.
    I will try another set and see what happens. Assuming the problem remains, what should i look for?

Cheers,
    Adam
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Kalimna said:

Assuming the problem remains, what should i look for?
    If the string is constantly going flat drastically there can only be three causes - it slipping on the machinehead post, the ball end wrap coming apart or the machinehead being faulty.

If it only goes a little flat and mostly after string bending, it's probably sticking in the nut groove - you can identify that if you give it a push behind the nut and it comes back into tune.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein