Rainbow Dash MLP explorer guitar help

What's Hot
Hi there, I’m hopefully getting a cheapo shortscale explorer type guitar with built in speaker for my daughter. I want to do something special to it and make it super cool for her so... how about doing the EVH frankenstrat stripes but with the colour palette of Rainbow Dash from My Little Pony? 

Any my advice on how to do it? I know amongst the nitro weather checkers out there a my little pony fan hides... 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    edited October 2017
    My daughter prefers Twilight Sparkle... Tape! Lots of tape :) Will be watching this though, I have a mini flying V that I've said I'd do up for my daughter, but still looking for inspiration.. MLP might be it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    Lol.  I actually made a joke about liking the rainbow dash guitar (from equestria girls) in a thread about MPL guitars the other day.

in all seriousness, i have considered building a version for my daughter 
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    The rainbow rocks equestria girls show is wicked. Nice to know that shredding on a too loud electric guitar is still a thing. I’ll make sure to keep this thread updated as I think it’s going to be lots of fun... now, time to find scotchbrite pads!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    WezV said:
    Lol.  I actually made a joke about liking the rainbow dash guitar (from equestria girls) in a thread about MPL guitars the other day.

in all seriousness, i have considered building a version for my daughter 
    And you do make a lovely kids guitar Wez ! 
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    I have been making pedals with epoxy and glitter could work for a guitar .  Cover the body over with a thin layer of epoxy then sprinkle glitter on in any patterns/colours you like . let it cure then another coat to seal it .  It doesn't have to be perfect either as the random nature of the glitter will hide imperfections .  You can rub it down smooth with some wet and dry and t cut to polish it,  then give it a rub over with car wax . 
        It could work quite well and if the guitar body was bashed up it would cover imperfections also .   A lot easier than painting .     On a larger area like a guitar body you would have to work very quick , might better doing it in smaller sections .      I was so pleased with how my pedals came out i thought it might be interesting to try on a body myself .   
       I have been using the small tubes of epoxy from Poundland it does set very quick , you may be able to get a slower curing time epoxy  . I know Envirotex is mentioned a lot , perhaps that is slower .
       I also colour my epoxy with chalk (scraped to a dust with a stanley knife , i think this might be making the epoxy set quicker  , but for how i am using it i am able to get a deep colour that works well with the glitter .   I started trying to use acrylic paint but that was a bad idea the epoxy wasn't curing fully with that and remained a little rubbery . 
         I'm not able to load up photo's but i think it could work for you .  If you tried it first on a bit of scrap with some of the Poundland glitter and a tube of there epoxy you have lost a grand total of a few quid and not a lot of time lost .  Could be worth trying .

Great idea! Thanks for that. Why are you colouring the epoxy with chalk? 
    @Alvin that sounds cool, would love to see some pics if you manage to get some sorted :)

Manson make a MB model with sprinkled glitter finish.  it works with ordinary lacquer too, just sprinkle it onto a wet coat and lacquer over

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

OP's idea sounds awesome. I wanna see it.

And I would totally rock this:

https://geekalabama.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/picture1ffr3.png

Even if it looks to be a piece of shit as an instrument.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well I’ve officially bought the guitar, will pick it up next week which gives me a chance to gather supplies. I’m getting unreasonably excited about this.
    Kinda want that dashcaster...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    What , Manson's ripping off my glitter idea, where's the commission  ?
    I didn't think i would be the first to use it for guitar purposes , i just saw it in Poundland and had a light bulb moment  .   I don't use any of those photo websites so not so easy to put photo's on here , if i could add one on like an email attachment then i would do it that way .
       I colour my epoxy for a couple of reasons , obviously it adds colour which is good on  plain alluminium enclosures ,  you can mix a bit and be a bit subtle , it hides imperfections and it seems to take the sparkle away (also depends on how shiny the glitter is) . I don't want my pedals looking like they have been vajazzled or fancy fingernails , i try to go for a  metallic  look rather than glittered  .  It is a crap shoot how they come out but you can just go over them again with another layer if they come out like junk .   I have now been trying the powder coated enclosures from Tayda , i don't think there coating is that tough so epoxy over the top is great , also there colours are not so good  so i use the chalk  to change the shade on the top .   I have tried  painting and also swirling (never again to much hastle) This is the easiest method i have found and you don't have to be concerned about damaging the finish after the hard work.
         Hope i'm not derailing to much here .   The lacquer idea might work better on a larger area as i would imagine it would give you more time to work , but would it be as tough ?  That's why i changed to epoxy from painting ,  rattle cans seem to soft a finish for me .

If you did go down the glitter route you could get your daughter involved with the sprinkling it could make her more interested in the guitar as she had a part in it also .
    lacquer wouldn't be any less tough than a normal guitar finish, although yes, epoxy would be tougher.   EPoxy is more difficult to work on large surfaces.  You would need a good one that flows and self levels like west systems, although a bit of gentle heat makes any epoxy flow better

although your post did make me think a resin top with things inside it could be a fun way to go

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

WezV said:
    lacquer wouldn't be any less tough than a normal guitar finish, although yes, epoxy would be tougher.   EPoxy is more difficult to work on large surfaces.  You would need a good one that flows and self levels like west systems, although a bit of gentle heat makes any epoxy flow better

although your post did make me think a resin top with things inside it could be a fun way to go

That looks cool , is it a real guitar or a mock up ?  Perhaps it needs a my little pony figure in there (maybe not) .    If it's real it probably took an awful lot of time and effort to make it look tasteful .
    oh, its real.    There are quite a few examples of this technique out there.  I have not tried it myself yet
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    WezV said:

I've seen a similar idea used on a dining table where there were wood shavings suspended into the resin, they had to keep flipping it over to make sure they didn't sink.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513