Anyone using the iRig Acoustic ?

What's Hot
I'm nosing at these (to add to an all-acoustic guitar) as it'll mean not having to fit a more permanent pickup (and I could use it on my Uke too)

Anyone using one? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    £29???

That looks bargaintastic - assuming the it works effectively.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I tried one and had to send it back. It worked fine and sounded OK-ish. My L'Arrivee with a K&K Pure Mini sounded much better and was less prone to feedback. The idea was I could use the one mic for the three acoustics I have which do not have other pickups installed. It might have worked out, too, but the guitar I really wanted to amplify/record is my Brook Taw. The thickness of the top around the sound hole is thicker than the rest of the top - and the iRig wasn't wide enough nor adjustable, so I couldn't use it. As a recording device it worked OK and was easy to use, but nothing like as good as a proper microphone.

For the price, though, an interesting product.
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    Thanks. That gives me food for thought.

What did you end up using on the Brook - another K&K? 
  • Floof said:
    Thanks. That gives me food for thought.

What did you end up using on the Brook - another K&K? 
    Not done it yet, but probably another K&K, yes. I don't like doing too much to nice-sounding acoustics just to amplify them. The Pure Mini is very unobtrusive, and passive, of course. Sounded good into the Fishman and AER amps I've used it with (neither of them mine) but benefits from a preamp for recording if you don't just want to mic up (I bought a used K&K external preamp at a bargain price).

Back to the iRig... I thought it was good enough at the price. If it had fitted the Brook I would have kept it.
    OK, your final comment there is enough to keep me on Plan A for now then. If I don't like it it's not too much to lose selling it on. 

Cheers
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4189
    I bought one to try out as I had a couple of guitars I didn't want to drill for pickups. First impressions were good but when testing at gig volume, the sound seemed somewhat indirect and undefined. I also detected (perhaps imagined but perception is reality, eh) some latency when playing faster bluegrass tunes. Blending with a pickup may have helped but that would have defeated my purpose, so I sold it on.
    Fast won't be an issue  :# 

Thanks man. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    I’ve gigged mine with straight acoustic and with electro acoustic blended.  Very happy albeit the think cable is a bit of a pfaff