Playing live: under play vs over play

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BradBrad Frets: 172
    Danji said:
    Depends on a lot of things for me, how my hands are feeling, what’s being played, how good the room sounds, and who I'm playing with. 
    +1 for all the above. I'll add how happy/unhappy I am with my playing at any given time too. Sometimes circumstances dictate that I'll take a step back. Some rooms just suck the life out of the sound and it's a fight or other times I'm just in a bad place with my playing, so it can be for my own frame of mind as much as trying to serve the song.     
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 2318
    thinking on this...
    the whole underplay v overplay thing leads me to believe that a great many of you have a lot of freedom to improvise live yes?
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 222
    Clarky said:
    Danji said:
    Depends on a lot of things for me, how my hands are feeling, what’s being played, how good the room sounds, and who I'm playing with. 
    how the room sounds - this is interesting..
    what is your thinking here?
    How dry is it, how the room reacts with the ride cymbal , even things like do I get a weird vibe from the place, which is more about how I’m feeling at the time. 

And some rooms just reflect the sound wrong if that makes sense? Again, it could be my state of mind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 222
    Clarky said:
    thinking on this...
    the whole underplay v overplay thing leads me to believe that a great many of you have a lot of freedom to improvise live yes?
    Yes, I’m from a jazz background.  But there’s times when I literally don’t improvise, because it’s not happening. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 513
    I totally get the room thing. 
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 297
    Danji said:y
    Clarky said:
    Danji said:
    how the room sounds - this is interesting..
    what is your thinking here?
    How dry is it, how the room reacts with the ride cymbal , even things like do I get a weird vibe from the place, which is more about how I’m feeling at the time. 

And some rooms just reflect the sound wrong if that makes sense? Again, it could be my state of mind. 
    I can totally associate with this ...sometimes when you walk in a room you can just tell it' going to be a problem ...i have a pet hate for the paper board tile things on suspended ceilings...iff im unhappy with the  sounds it really affects my playing