NPD and it might be the best OD pedal I own

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
https://imgur.com/a/TJB6Z

Its ace! It doesn’t sound like an overdrive really, it’s more like a light fuzz. 

Its exactly what I wanted as I’m trying to get a bit of a different sound at the moment. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I think it got a 10/10 in Guitarist Magazine (which is extraordinary as their scores start at 7 and top out at 9). 

I was tossing up between this and the Looking Glass and ended up buying the LG after testing it in Anderson's. 

Didn't try the Hudson but good to hear it is a fine pedal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    I knew what it was before I clicked the link, somehow. I've got the same one and I feel the same. Stick your "smooth" overdrive, my Broadcast is never off.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    @bbill335 that’s how I feel about it. It just sounds excellent on the low gain setting. I could leave that on all the time.

I am a big fuzzface fan so this pedal works as it’s an overdrive with a nod to that sound.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    Shaun, superb arent they ?

I foolishly sold mine... mind you, yours looks awesome
    @Wazmeister why on earth did you do that mate? 

Honestly, it’s a breath of fresh air to me. It’s not mid humpy, it’s essentially the sound of Jimmy Page and his Tele.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    shaunm said:
    @Wazmeister why on earth did you do that mate? 

Honestly, it’s a breath of fresh air to me. It’s not mid humpy, it’s essentially the sound of Jimmy Page and his Tele.
    Because, I am... a muppet
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Told ya!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You did @JDE next up is a compressor 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Really glad you like the Broadcast. It's such a great pedal, man.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Nice one, the Broadcast is a belter! I probably shouldn't have sold both of mine...

Keep an eye out for a 999 - now that's the best OD pedal ever.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited October 2017
    Just when I thought I was done with boutique pedals! I never seem to get on with fuzz pedals despite loving the sounds others get from them, so i've been after an overdrive with fuzzy qualities and the clips of this sound awesome. Does it work well into an already pretty dirty bright amp (jubilee) to add grit and punch with a bit of a fuzzy nature? 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    I have been interested in trying on of these for a while.... mainly because from YT videos the fuzzy OD reminds me of my favourite drives MXR Dist + / DOD 250.... are there any similarities in the circuit?
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
    It looks cool as well
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    There seems to be a variety of colours and prices. What is the difference?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Fuengi said:
    There seems to be a variety of colours and prices. What is the difference?
    Standard version - runs at 9v, one footswitch, one toggle (gain high/low), three knobs
    Two footswitch version - high/low on a footswitch, four knobs (separate volumes for high/low modes
    Charge pump versions - internal charge pump ups the voltage to 24v for more headroom + low end, still runs off standard 9v

I prefer having one without the charge pump as I can give it anything from 9-24v from my DC5. Some people have custom versions with pumps on a switch which is cool. I reckon high gain mode is most fin at 9-18v. There were versions with posh transistors and things but I think those three are the main variants you see in the wild these days.

I haven't seen a demo that quite does justice to how useful it is as a tone enhancer (as boring as that sounds) or how mental the fuzz can get. Cleans up like a fuzz face even after Boss buffers. Put it after digital effects to warm them up and stuff. A dirt for all seasons and purposes.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    I have the older/simpler version of the Broadcast.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    JD50 said:
    I have been interested in trying on of these for a while.... mainly because from YT videos the fuzzy OD reminds me of my favourite drives MXR Dist + / DOD 250.... are there any similarities in the circuit?
    Not similar.

Dist+ and 250 both have opamp and clipping diodes.

Broadcast has a transformer(!) and a germanium transistor

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

edited October 2017
    So now the honeymoon period has worn off I thought I’d revisit this thread. 

No change on my initial thoughts. It’s a stunning pedal. I use it with my Fender amp on clean at home volumes and it gives me that early break up tone, even at low volumes. 

Here is some shit playing to prove it.

https://instagram.com/p/BaW5rtUhhFs/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited October 2017
    Ro_S said:
    JD50 said:
    Not similar.

Audio transformers are not unheard of in old fuzzes. To the point that bizarrely I have the type that the Broadcaster uses kicking around... Might have to build one and see what all the fuss is about.
    juansolo said:
    Ro_S said:
    JD50 said:
    Not similar.

Audio transformers are not unheard of in old fuzzes. To the point that bizarrely I have the type that the Broadcaster uses kicking around... Might have to build one and see what all the fuss is about.
    John, if you want to borrow mine to take a look