Nile Rodgers: How to Make it in the Music Business, BBC4 at 9pm

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
Just a heads up if, like me, you are a big fan of Nile and his contribution to music.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27432
    Thanks
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Thanks J!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks. I'll go and set the programme to record right now.
    It's not a competition.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    edited October 2017

How to Make it in the Music Business,

Easy just right a zillion hits on a well-worn Stratocaster "oh and turn down Madonna when she asks for a shag"
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Just watched the first one. TBH I don't really know much about Nile Rogers or his music, but the program was fascinating, and Nile came across as very down to earth and also very engaging. Excellent stuff.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17585
    tFB Trader
    I loved it but no one is surprised by that are they :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    edited October 2017
    I loved it but no one is surprised by that are they
    2 more parts to come too. His story is well familiar to me now from all the other Docs on him there's been, but I just love watching and listening to him. Unique kind of guy.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Ooh, still not watched this yet.

HAL9000 said:
    Just watched the first one. TBH I don't really know much about Nile Rogers or his music, but the program was fascinating, and Nile came across as very down to earth and also very engaging. Excellent stuff.
    FWIW he's produced and/ or appeared on so much stuff you probably know at least something but don't know it and when I saw him a few years ago he had almost undoubtedly the tightest live band I've ever seen - wether you like what he does or not at least as an act of craftsmanship in music it's very impressive. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited October 2017
    Another fan here.

As to his body of work, including production credits, I've found there were artists I wasn't that fussed about but then all of a sudden I liked something by them and then found out NR was behind it. If you didn't already know his discography credits, the 2nd and 3rd parts of this documentary should reveal a lot more
  • I thought it was a really interesting programe. His band's set at Glastonbury this year was great. I met him wandering around the Glastonbury site during the festival a couple of years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I loved it but no one is surprised by that are they
    ...His story is well familiar to me now from all the other Docs on him there's been, but I just love watching and listening to him. Unique kind of guy.
    Same here.

I enjoyed the first one and love listening to his rhythm playing.
    It's not a competition.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    watched it on the 'catch up' options - excellent and looking forward to part 2 and 3 - he is one nice cool dude
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    Nile is a big hero of mine. He's criminally underrated as a guitarist in his own right, aside from all the killer production he did.

Fun fact of the day - Johny Marr named his son Nile in tribute to Rogers.

If you haven't read it, 'Le Freak', his autobiography is one of the best books I've ever read. Obviously, he's lived a crazy life, and the way he tells the story is just so entertaining. Loads of 'muso' insight, but doesn't alienate the general reader. Highly recommended.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Half way through episode 2, lot of stuff I’ve heard before but I’m enjoying the story about David Bowie taking the lunch orders. TBH I’m not that keen on the fawning style of the programme but if you look beyond that lots of interesting moments. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Episode 3 was great - I may have a man crush on Nile Rodgers - I’ve come to the conclusion he’s a genius....
  • Episode 3 was great - I may have a man crush on Nile Rodgers - I’ve come to the conclusion he’s a genius....
    Oi, get in the queue :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    Thanks for the heads up - really enjoyed the series
    Episode 3 was great - I may have a man crush on Nile Rodgers - I’ve come to the conclusion he’s a genius....
    Oi, get in the queue :)
    1st dibs? Just look at who he's worked with and what he's worked on outside of Chic and he continues to do that. And it's not obvious artists e.g. SRV and Keith Urban

Truly deserving of legend status and with Phil Lynott following a close 2nd behind, he's my musical hero.
  • I met him a few years ago (I've said that on here before but frankly I get a wee thrill every time I mention it) and he was an absolute gentleman. One of my heroes too. 

Will need to watch the series on catch up. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    I met him a few years ago (I've said that on here before but frankly I get a wee thrill every time I mention it) and he was an absolute gentleman. One of my heroes too. 

Will need to watch the series on catch up. 
    Now I have a man-crush on you!