80/20 or Phosphor Bronze

What's Hot
Just wondering what you guys prefer and on what types of instrument.

I have been using (bulk buy packs of D'Addario) Phosphor Bronze strings for several years now.  On a whim I decided to give 80/20s a shot. 

First impressions were that they were too bright but after a small amount of playing time they've settled in to being some quite nice sounding strings.  I feel like I'm hearing more fundamental and less overtone with the 80/20s which is actually a good thing with what I'm playing currently.  I love my guitar but it is so alive with overtones that I some times feel like I'm fighting it to get a clear and simple sound when required.  These 80/20s seem to make getting less complex sounds a lot easier.

My acoustic is a BSG rosewood/spruce jumbo.  I'm using 13s tuned to D.

I am now tempted to go and try some other brands of 80/20s!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited February 2014

Got to be 80/20s  -  PBs just sound dead, like dirty stings  nowhere near articulate enough

I used to use DRs  which I really liked, but I use Lixy's on all my acoustics now.

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Phosphor Bronze always, for me.

I don't like 80/20s, they sound tinny when new and go dead quickly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They do sound tinny to start with but where they're at in terms of their life sounds great currently. They've got a bit of sparkle but the overtones seem quieter and less complex. Seems to work for the bright+simple pop style strumming sound. They'll probably sound pants tomorrow!

• are they good for electro acoustics, either piezo or magnetic soundhole pickups?
    It shouldn't matter - neither metal is ferromagnetic so magnetic soundhole pickups are designed to compensate for the lack of volume from the wound strings compared to the plains.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Sometimes it depends on the guitar.  As an owner of too many guitars, some guitars seem to respond better to one type, and soem to another.

I have found that Phosphor Bronze last longer and they are my default string.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889

Elixir Baritones are 80/20 - they work well

They do normal gauge 80/20s too, I think I tried them on a very very dark mahogany body

• LewyLewy Frets: 4187
    80/20 for me. The extra brightness is good for cutting through in an acoustic band context. They do die away quite quickly but Martin multipacks make it cheap enough to change often.

You mention that your guitar is a bit hyper on the overtones....perhaps you should try some monel strings like Martin's Tony RIce set. I've heard people say they calm overtone-heavy guitars.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    ICBM said:
    Phosphor Bronze always, for me.

I don't like 80/20s, they sound tinny when new and go dead quickly.
    +100
  • Always preferred phosphor bronze personally. Can't get on with the harsh zingy brightness of 80/20's.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • I agree that it depends on the guitar and the only way to know is to try different sets. Mt Faith Naked Venus comes alive with PB, but they sound horrible on my two Recording Kings. 
    edited March 2014
    I think if youre  mainly just a strummer, I can see that 80/20s may be a bit bright......but for fingerpicking  you need the clearer definition of them,  PBs are just too muddy
    bertie said:
    I think if youre  mainly just a strummer, I can see that 80/20s may be a bit bright......but for fingerpicking  you need the clearer definition of them,  PBs are just too muddy
    I don't find that at all. I dislike 80/20s even more for fingerpicking than strumming, if anything.

• bertie said:
    I disagree. I'm 90% a fingerpicker/flatpicker and much prefer PBs.
    ICBM said:
    I don't find that at all. I dislike 80/20s even more for fingerpicking than strumming, if anything.
    yeah but knowing your tone preferences you'd probably prefer 100 year old strings that have never been cleaned

:D

bertie said:
    yeah but knowing your tone preferences you'd probably prefer 100 year old strings that have never been cleaned

:D

lol

Actually although I don't like brand new strings for the first few days or so, I don't like old dead strings either, they have to be kept clean.

But curiously enough, speaking of 100-year-old strings, a few weeks ago I was working on an instrument made just before the First World War which did have most of its original strings on! A 43-string harp-zither, if it matters… and I had to replace them all. It felt a bit like I was destroying its history, but they were so rusty many of them broke when I turned the tuning posts anyway.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    last year we were clearing out the loft and found mrs berts first ever (no name classical) guitar,  she got second hand in about 1970.....twas a tad 'mouldy'  from the usual 200yr old loft dampness,  but totally original including strigs............. cleaned it up...... and it played/sounded superb TBH
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Newtone Masterclass Phosphor Bronze for me.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Tomastick Infeld phosphor Bronze.