Boss Kantana 50 any good?

What's Hot
sawyersawyer Frets: 732
Looking for combo for rehershal so not humping a halfstack Black star. Any good? Alternatives
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Try the search function, there's a load of Katana threads
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ChesterChester Frets: 52
    Also check out TGP - longest thread I've ever seen on the Katana range
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Cheers chaps
  • Seriously? 

There's over a thousand hits on the search function... I doubt you'll learn anything new here!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    edited October 2017
    Yeah thanks someone already suggested to search forum. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    To summarise all threads: - 

It's great, go buy one...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I'm thinking I may do. Everything I'm reading seems very positive. Nice and simple. No bells and whistles. Exactly what I'm looking for. Cheers 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    Theyre indeed good amps!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    They must be mega good value for money from what I'm seeing!
    sawyer said:
    They must be mega good value for money from what I'm seeing!
    I'd go as far as to say unless you want to go "all-valve" as a purist or do proper proper gigging, a Katana is all you will ever need.

Doesn't mean it will be all you ever WANT of course!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I have just got tne 100 watt combo. Simply it seemed to be a better bet for using with a controller pedal and stuff like the send  and return is useful also it's not a massive extra ask to get to the 100 watt version. 
    I have just got tne 100 watt combo. Simply it seemed to be a better bet for using with a controller pedal and stuff like the send  and return is useful also it's not a massive extra ask to get to the 100 watt version. 
    Not a massive ask from there to get the 2x12 either, that's how upselling gets you!

Let's not forget the head either, little speaker for home use and could drive a 1x12, 2x12 etc. depending on your needs.

The whole range is great, but for home use, jams and practise the 50 is really all you need IMHO.  The 100 is only about £80 more so if the things you mentioned are important, and the extra size and weight isn't an issue, one should certainly consider the 100.
  • Don't forget the head also does midi... 

The internal speaker and the midi are the two reasons I went for it when I sold my Katana 100 1x12. 

Don't forget the head also does midi... 

The internal speaker and the midi are the two reasons I went for it when I sold my Katana 100 1x12. 
    Well if one has a cab already then it's a pretty solid choice as well.

I have a 50 and try as I might I simply can't justify another purchase, though if I did I'd put my 50 in the bedroom and get the 2x12 for the living room, or the head and a cab...

...but I only play at home, plus hopefully the odd jam and practise, so sadly can't justify anymore coin!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Cracking little amps, I started with the 50w combo and then traded up to the 100w 1x12. The increased flexibility of the footswitch and the extra grunt are very useful if you want the ideal amp to throwin the back of the car for small gigs, jam sessions etc . 
    Think I'll go for the 50. It's more about something lighter than a halfstack. Got weight issues ha. Anything bigger and im no better off.As long as its loud enougth for practise rooms and open mic nights I'll be sorted:)
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited October 2017
    I plug the head into a Marshall 4x12 at my local practice room... Sound immense and I can carry it in one handed

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    Not a massive ask from there to get the 2x12 either, that's how upselling gets you!

Let's not forget the head either, little speaker for home use and could drive a 1x12, 2x12 etc. depending on your needs.

The whole range is great, but for home use, jams and practise the 50 is really all you need IMHO.  The 100 is only about £80 more so if the things you mentioned are important, and the extra size and weight isn't an issue, one should certainly consider the 100.
    Actually the 2x12 is a pretty big jump in price, size, and weight so (speaking as someone who actually owns a Katana 2x12), unless you’ve got good reason to feel you need the extra oomph I’d discount it...

For the vast majority of people I think the choice is going to come down to the 50 Watt 1x12 or the 100 Watt 2x12, and (on the basis of what my 100 Watt 2x12 can do on the 50 Watt setting) it’s facilities (principally the extra presets and compatibility with the GA-FC controller to switch individual effects on/off) which drives that choice - for the relatively small premium, unless you’re sure you’re never going to need the extra flexibility (say because you’re a pedal guy who just wants the amp to be a clean platform) I’d go for the 100 every time because I’d rather have an extra preset or two and not need them than at some point down the line find that I need them and they’re not there... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    JayGee said:

Actually the 2x12 is a pretty big jump in price, size, and weight so (speaking as someone who actually owns a Katana 2x12), unless you’ve got good reason to feel you need the extra oomph I’d discount it...

For the vast majority of people I think the choice is going to come down to the 50 Watt 1x12 or the 100 Watt 2x12, and (on the basis of what my 100 Watt 2x12 can do on the 50 Watt setting) it’s facilities (principally the extra presets and compatibility with the GA-FC controller to switch individual effects on/off) which drives that choice - for the relatively small premium, unless you’re sure you’re never going to need the extra flexibility (say because you’re a pedal guy who just wants the amp to be a clean platform) I’d go for the 100 every time because I’d rather have an extra preset or two and not need them than at some point down the line find that I need them and they’re not there... :-)
    Crikey I really do understand why everyone is going to OT to flounce off at the minute.

You just said what I said a different way round...!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i use the 1X12 for gigging pubs and social clubs, un-miced, easily loud enough with our loud drummer. i use it on the 50w setting too. so i would imagine the 50 would be loud enough. i was gonna buy the 50 w but i saw a used but mint 100w going for less than the 50w and im glad i did.  im not a valve snob and i do like my laney vc30 but its twice the weight and bigger and i find the katana sounds as good in the context of band playing.