Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TWEED!

What's Hot

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Oh, also, if you are handy with a soldering iron, a kit from Ampmaker or similar could be an option.   Stick it in a pine cab with a good 12” speaker and a homebuild champ could be ace.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    Check out Flynn Amps as well, good prices and made in Scotland. He does a Champ and a Deluxe

http://www.flynnamps.com

Yes ^^^

The Fender 57 Reissue is not good - I bought a Blackstar HT-5R over it.

I'm eyeing up a Flynn Tweed Deluxe now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16011
    Ossyrocks said:
    For 5E3’s I think Gartone is the best. I’ve owned or played most of the others too.

Rob
    Absolutely right
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    I'm late to the party here, but i own a Victoria 5112 and cannot say enough good things about it. 

It is an incredible sounding amp, insanely loud for its rating, although it still sounds fantastic at low volume.

When its driven it is a joy to hear. I think my best od sound ever was a strat straight in with the vol at about 8. Just awesome.

I play with a functions band and the other guitarist has an awful, poorly maintained solid state fender.

I lent him the Vic on saturday. He plays a big washburn Montgomery jazz box and it sounded wonderful through it. Just nailed those steve cropper tones.

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Many thanks everybody for all the good advice.  While the 5112 seems to be a front runner it's certainly expanded my search parameters, and I admit to rather liking the look of #4114Effects' hand built little beauty.  The ceaseless Quest for Perfect Tone continues!

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

Oh, also, if you are handy with a soldering iron, a kit from Ampmaker or similar could be an option.   Stick it in a pine cab with a good 12” speaker and a homebuild champ could be ace.
    With my soldering skills?  It's all I can do not to weld my fingers together when I'm switching pickups :grin: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

Of your list I’d go for the Victoria 5112.   Also worth noting all your shortlist are champ based, single ended 5w amps.   These sound different to the tweed deluxe types. 

Which Victoria did you try?
    5112 :grin: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

Apologies for the graruitous over posting. Love this amp.
    Dear God.  I opened that on my work computer... :astonished: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    Definitely put Cornell in the mix. Various versions of the Romany will cover your needs. Beautifully built with top drawer components too. 
    uncledick said:
    Definitely put Cornell in the mix. Various versions of the Romany will cover your needs. Beautifully built with top drawer components too. 
    They look lovely.  Frantically trying to offload my old gear to get a pocket full of cash to go shopping...  You know how it is :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    Just be aware that there are no decent Cornell clips on Yt. Find one and plug in. 
    uncledick said:
    Just be aware that there are no decent Cornell clips on Yt. Find one and plug in. 
    This is the thing: it's always so subjective, so ephemeral.  When I played last week I swear they must have turned the volume off and hidden a session cat out back to play what I was trying to, make me sound good so I'd buy the guitar :)

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11808
    Ahem….cough cough  ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ahem….cough cough  ;)

*weeps with frustrated lust*

Fender Hot Rod?  Straight swap :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Save up and buy a Lazy J.  I had a Cornell Romany Plus before.  No comparison.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    Save up and buy a Lazy J.  I had a Cornell Romany Plus before.  No comparison.
    They do seem to be the ultimate.  Need to find one to try, somewhere...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Bear in mind that any 5E3 derivative is a different amp from a 5F1 even in a Deluxe cabinet. Certainly in the same ballpark, but it has a different sound and feel as well as being louder. If you've played a 5112 but not any kind of Deluxe, make sure you do before you buy one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson