Can we ban 'Feeler'?!

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4997
edited August 2013 in Guitar
Not that I'm prone to rant at all, at things others may find personally reasonable, but WHAT ON EARTH IS 'FEELER' ALL ABOUT?! Surely you either want to sell or trade your gear, or you don't? I get that we musicians can be fickle and may put gear up for sale but then change our minds. But I don't get 'Feeler'. (I don't literally mean ban it by the way, but it's daft isn't it?)

That's better, I've calmed down now...
250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I tend to agree. Is it just to see if you get enough interest to get a price you want? If so, chuck the pics and a price up and see what happens!
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2013

I agree.  It's like asking you girlfriend "If I were to ask you to marry me what would you say".  Man up and just do it.

I always think 'feelers' are someone saying I don't want this and am going to flog it but was disheartened to see what they were actually fetching used - anyone want to give me a bit more for my reluctance.

I thought in Sporky's rules it said something about these?!

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27946
    The Rules already cover this, I think - any post in the Classifieds must include an asking price or a realistic expectation of trades. If anyone isn't sure what'd be a sensible price there are plenty of resources out there - eBay, the various shops with second hand sections, or even ask here (then create an appropriate Classifieds discussion once a fair price is established).

thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/97/the-rules
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183

I agree.  It's like asking you girlfriend "If I were to ask you to marry me what would you say".  Man up and just do it.

or go out for a pint, rethink, and for gods sake don't do it!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33779
    edited August 2013
    Agree- you either want to sell it or you don't.

I'm not a fan of the 'Oh I just played it and now I'm not too sure I want to sell it- buy it before I change my mind' comments either.
    Seems like a bullshit tactic to try to get people interested but it absolutely doesn't work & just makes the seller look like a dick.

Tyre kickers are worse though.
    octatonic said:
    I'm not a fan of the 'Oh I just played it and now I'm not too sure I want to sell it- buy it before I change my mind' comments either.
    I would class such comments as bumps, as I'm pretty sure that's why people post them.
  • I'm not much of a fan of highly inflated prices for pieces of old junk which really belong in a skip. There was (is?) an ad on here that falls into that category. I assume 'Rule 1' should stop people doing this, every bit as much as it prevents me posting a reply pointing out the error of their ways?
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited August 2013
    richardhomer;15753" said:
    I'm not much of a fan of highly inflated prices for pieces of old junk which really belong in a skip. There was (is?) an ad on here that falls into that category. I assume 'Rule 1' should stop people doing this, every bit as much as it prevents me posting a reply pointing out the error of their ways?

I wish you hadn't said this , I'm now looking through the classifieds for some old junk.
    Having already spent 10 minutes looking for a member called feeler after reading the title #-o :-\"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    I vote that 'Feeler ads' should be renamed 'Groper ads'. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Rules is da rules.  Not that bothered tbh either way - lot of people want banning things, chill people .........

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    edited August 2013
    I always tended to think of it as "I'm not sure I really want to sell this, but if you offer me something interesting that I might not have thought about, then I'd be happy to consider it as a swap/PX." Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think we should be banning things unless there's a good reason though - if it's wasting server bandwidth or something (but I understand that isn't an issue). If people don't want to have their time wasted responding to such ads, don't respond.

Same with overpriced stuff. Just ignore it - it's not the seller's duty to offer something at the price you want to pay, or even at a 'sensible market value'.

The only things that annoys me in the classifieds really are constant bumping, and people starting a fight about someone else's gear, unless it's provably being misrepresented.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I don't think we should be banning things unless there's a good reason though - if it's wasting server bandwidth or something (but I understand that isn't an issue). If people don't want to have their time wasted responding to such ads, don't respond.
    We are generally against banning unless really necessary. I don't really "get" feelers but I'm not sure they do a lot of harm.
    ICBM said:
    The only things that annoys me in the classifieds really are constant bumping, and people starting a fight about someone else's gear, unless it's provably being misrepresented.
    Both of which are specifically disallowed in the rules. :)
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    I've got things to sell but I'm a lazy/busy monkey so I can't be bothered/don't have the time to take photos, research pricing, p&p, etc...
    However, if someone is interested in buying I'll be bothered/take the time for all the above". :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17552
    tFB Trader
    I think feelers are stupid, but I'm not bothered about banning them.

The less rules we have the better IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11540
    tFB Trader
    Once something has sold is it easy to remove the listing to reduce clutter?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

It'd be very simple to do, but I think threads where the item has sold can be a useful reference. We could look at locking them (at user request) once the item has sold to prevent necro-bumping maybe.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2013
    octatonic;15704" said:
    Seems like a bullshit tactic to try to get people interested but it absolutely doesn't work & just makes the seller look like a dick.
    Which is definitely covered in the rules.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2873
    On no, forum police :(
  • Will change my listing to for sale rather than feeler, had no idea it caused such offence, Sorry I will go and chastise myself in a suitable manor for my forum fumbling :(
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17552
    tFB Trader
    blueskunk said:
    On no, forum police :(
    You will notice the mods in this thread are not the ones wanting to ban stuff.