• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited March 2014
    3. Harmony

duration approximately 47 mins

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2015
    4. Bass
    Note: this seems to be working just fine now ~ previously ~ apparently YT have muted the sound on this version due to copyright issues, so much for educational content !

duration approximately 47 mins
    ~ ~ ~ 

Part two, Rhythm, is available now, just a couple of posts above this one,  enjoy   :)

Something for the weekend, sir ?

• celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    I just watched the first episode. Very interesting!

I'd really like to see a detailed history of European music, I'll have a look around!
    I am glad you enjoyed watching the program @celentium.  Howard Goodall is is a good educator, and if you get past his biases (we all have them, don't we), then there is always a lot to learn from the content and perspective he gives.  He certainly knows his stuff.

Have you taken a look at the programs in the "other resources" section above, they are all linked directly through to threads with content like this one.

Link to Howard Goodall's Story of Music which is 6 one hour programs, and while he doesn't cover folk or vernacular music from the deeper historical perspective (note "bias" comment above), he does cover mainstream music from the middle ages to current trends.  There is even a clip of Lady Gaga in the opening sequence to show how "on trend" he is.  Well worth watching IMO.

I will keep an eye out for other programs to put on here, or maybe you could do that if you discover something interesting.

• celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Thank you @ChrisMusic, I intend to watch the rest of the episodes for the "How Music Works" theory, although I'll struggle to get in more than one a week.

I haven't seen the other resources section but the links are very helpful and I'll be sure to check them out. The Story of Music sounds very interesting, I will look into that for sure.

If I find anything I'll be sure to post it. After 15 years of playing and writing (mainly by ear), I've only recently started learning theory. It's very early days but it has peaked an interest so I'm very keen to learn all I can. In the Melody episode when he mentioned the Tudor rebels, it grasped both my historical and musical interests!
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    I remeber this series on BBC , and recorded it onto DVD ... very good series.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Thanks for putting these up Chris. Very enjoyable indeed.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

If everyone watched this series before starting any music theory, I reckon they would do themselves a great favour.

I think both this series, and the two programs linked below, are a great way to gain an overview of how the jigsaw of theory bits all fits together.

It then makes putting all the bits together so much easier to have a perspective of the bigger picture.

So, just rescuing this from the depths of obscurity on page umpteen and something !
    It is really too good to languish there.

I have revised the YT links so they all seem to be working again.

I firmly believe that all good resources are things that you take away what you are interested in at the time, or things you need to know at the time.  Further on down the journey of life, or the journey of music, you have a different perspective and different interests and needs.  Hopefully we are all growing in a multi-dimensional way (full disclosure: some of that may be due to me eating too many mince pies over the festive break !) and the jigsaw pieces that fit our current needs vary from those of a year or two before.

If you wonder what on earth I am getting at, well, I have just watched all these programs again, and while they were familiar, well they would be as I have watched them before, they were also totally new and fresh.  I took away a new impression of music, and a whole new perspective, thanks to the intervening gap.  What a very well considered series of programs Howard Goodall has given us, with true insight and depth.

A refresher can be so much more than just that !

Enjoy, whether that's the first viewing, or the second, or third, or fourth...  :)

• I'm definitely watching these this week. I already know a fair bit of theory but I assume I will still find it of benefit!

Thanks for posting!
  • I found some Howard Goodall stuff on DVD on Amazon. Added it to my wishlist. He's brill.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself