Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Just found a chip of paint off the back of my Strat :-(

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I've just spotted a similar issue on the back of my Strat:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My Ibby RG has been bashed loads. There are dents and dings showing wood etc but the finish isnt flaking at all.

Do metallic painted bodies fare better?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Get it professionally refinished then place it in a hermetically sealed glass case and never touch it again.  For extra peace of mind you could place the glass case it in a steel storage container next to the car you never drive through fear of getting it scratched or chipped by road debris.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  •  

I've just spotted a similar issue on the back of my Strat:

Where??

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I love the sarcasm of randomhandclaps lol..and that green strat above...has a thin finish on it so it still looks good. Its not quite as fetching on a thick poly finish that's like the shell of an M&M!!
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    If the finish is anything like my old MIM black dove tele, you've don't well getting some off!
    It was so thick and tough it would have survived a nuclear assault unscathed.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I've just spotted a similar issue on the back of my Strat:

I might be wrong, but I reckon that'll buff out..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited February 2014

First match the colour using either nail varnish (yes I know the strat is poly, but it will only be a basecoat) or white paint. Then drop fill with superglue, sand back and buff with a cutting compound - T-Cut if you don't have any reducing compound like meguiars.

Everyone I've done on poly is virtually impossible to find unless held up against the right light. The same can be done on Gibsons, but nitro always leaves a  halo unless you blend in with an air-brush. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    @siraxeman - post a detailed pic and maybe we can offer some remedial options for you...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I know, looks terrible, but it plays OK. After 3 decades in my care I'm starting to like it.
    http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z410/ESBlonde/Guitars/014.jpg

edited February 2014
    up close.....

• Funny this, my jagstang has about 3 knocks (no paint missing tho) and although i'll never flog it due to sentimental value it does bug me immensely.
    My junior special tho, which i had new last year, well, i cant wait for that to start naturally wearing.

• Scrub the advice I gave earlier.

That's not suitable for drop filling lol !

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Don't worry about it my friend.  A guitar is a tool, one that is used to make music.  If you want it to always look pristine - keep it in a glass case.  Otherwise it will pick up dings, scrapes and lose bits.  It gets a life too.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Ooops... I don't think a home repair is gonner work to well with that edge profile... BUT there are guys who fix porcelain sinks/baths etc and all they use is car body filler and cellulose and they are tough and indistinguishable. They are mobile ops too... Maybe that could be an option to a luthier repair... Do a Google for your area.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I'll be honest - given the OPs views expressed at fans of relic guitars I'm currently feeling guilt about wanting to feel schadenfreude.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    schadenfreude? LOL...i'm sure you don't really feel any guilt! :p I'd love to find the chip of paint n glue it back on...if only! Still its not the end of the world is it? I've got over it already. I'll try n get some sort of fix/patch up but i'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    That is quite a bad one. On the other hand I dropped my PRS today. Not on purpose. I'm quite pleased the headstock is still attached, so I'm willing to overlook the two new large dings on the body…

I would actually be inclined to run some superglue under the edges of that chip to stop it getting any bigger.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein