Thomann utter pricing madness

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I might go the other way and buy the cab and sell the V30 on.  You'd probably get £50 or so for it and you've got a cab for around £40 including shipping.  I've got a speaker lying around I could put in it.

I'm not a fan of the V30.  Definitely prefer warmer sounding speakers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was under the impression, from the site, Eminence are all USA made.

I just chose those two manufacturers because they happen to do what I reckon I'd like - high powered speakers that would sound great in a Bandit (just in case mine ever gets damaged!) and Tayden for the sort of thing I'd put in a cab if I could afford a head and 2x12.  

Which I can't.

So my argument is meaningless.  
  • jpfamps said:
    ...snip

Mind you I've often found that shipping cost from Germany are very cheap when compared with shipping within the UK.

I once sent a small parcel to Germany and it cost £34.00 by Parcel Force.  Annoyed, I went onto the Deutsche Bundespost website and priced the same parcel coming from Germany to me.  A staggering £8.?? next day delivery!  That was about eight years ago! DB own DHL, so the same low price ethos it there too.  Thomann do have a hugely competitive shipping cost advantage to all of Europe!

I used to distribute Morley pedals, we also designed & made pedals for Morley.  The cost of sending those pedals to Morley was DOUBLE the cost (same volumetric shipment weight) as importing the Morley pedals (same shipper - UPS).  They told me it was because the planes flew from USA on cheap fuel... but going back they had to use expensive UK priced fuel! 

No matter where you look, Britain has heavily anti-business rents, taxes and levies in place.  Just look at the crazy Business Rates situation and high factory rental rates (usually 10% PA of the property value!)

"Just because it's never been done before, is the very reason to make it happen" - Me!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just bought one of the Thomann 2x12 V30 cabs...first impressions are good, nice and heavy, tolex looks clean and well applied, no complaints from me. Once the speakers have worn in a bit I think it'll prove quite a shrewd purchase ;) 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

No matter where you look, Britain has heavily anti-business rents, taxes and levies in place.  Just look at the crazy Business Rates situation and high factory rental rates (usually 10% PA of the property value!)

NURRR!! COZ GEORGIE OBSBURNS LOVES THE SUIT PEOPEL AND HAETZ THE COMMUN MAN!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeztoneJeztone Frets: 27
    I think on Britain, they hate everyone. Unless your the Establishment or Super Rich.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    Yup that Harley Benton 2x12 V30 cab is excellent. Delighted with mine, bargain.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2350
    I was under the impression, from the site, Eminence are all USA made.
    Yeah far as I'm aware, all the retail Eminences (i.e. the ones listed on its website) are USA-made. But the OEM ones (i.e. the ones they put in cheaper amps) are made in China.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    I bought one and shifted on the V30s so i could put neos in there but now im tempted to buy another one so I can have the heavier V30s for gigs and the lighter neos for practice.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    The working conditions of UK Amazon distribution warehouses are bad enough.

Based on the Panorama documentry shown last year or personal experience?
    I know someone that works there, he says it's very unpleasant, I have no reason to disbelieve him.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I bought one and shifted on the V30s so i could put neos in there but now im tempted to buy another one so I can have the heavier V30s for gigs and the lighter neos for practice.
    I've got one with Neos in too, and a G12H 2x12 for when I'm feeling less lazy, I actually think the neos (Blackstar ones) sound pretty good
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111

I'd say it's more heavily anti-small to medium business. I'm working for such a business now, restaurant trade, and seeing how the small indies get treated compared to the big cash flashing chains is sickening. 

• FezFez Frets: 522
    Another plus1 for the HB 2x v30 cab
    Don't touch that dial.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    John_A said:
    I've got one with Neos in too, and a G12H 2x12 for when I'm feeling less lazy, I actually think the neos (Blackstar ones) sound pretty good
    Neo's arent bad but they can get a bit ice-picky I think at high volumes.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2110
    The pricing of new Rectifier 2x12's is also about £110 cheaper than here!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    Nerine said:
    The pricing of new Rectifier 2x12's is also about £110 cheaper than here!
    And still probably about £110 more than it is in the US even if you add on shipping and duty...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited June 2014
    Honestly, having owned and used a lot of cabs I still say Mesa cabs are slightly better than the competition (that I've tried/owned).  At £540 I think the Recto 2x12 is a good deal for new (not taking second hand prices in to account here at all).

The UK made competitors to the Recto 2x12 are the Orange PPC212 - £550 (no wheels by design, no cover) and a Zilla Fatboy with V30s - £400 but again no wheels and no cover.  The Recto 2x12 at £540 comes with the best removable castors that any amp maker seems to fit, plus a cover.  Plus their speakers are different to everyone else's so if you like them better than regular V30s there is another incentive to buy it.

Having had a Zilla Super Fatboy (which is slightly more expensive than the Fatboy) and my Mesa 2x12 side by side the Mesa was better built.  The back panel on the Mesa was totally solid.  My Zilla had a 3 piece back but each piece was noticeably thinner than what is on the Mesa.  In fact I was able to find the note at which I could make the centre piece of the Zilla 3 piece back vibrate - because it wasn't solid enough to handle a drop tuned palm mute on a Les Paul played through a Dual Rec.  I've never played a solid backed Zilla to compare, but IMO ignoring the loud volume vibration issue (and it was definitely the centre panel) the Mesa 2x12 still sounded better to my ears.

Orange cabs are built well but I personally don't like the fact they're designed to couple with the floor.  It is easy enough to get around this buy putting it on top of something, or removing the rails and fitting wheels, but I personally prefer to not modify my cabs as it really affects resale IME.

Just IMO... I know Mesa gear is expensive but if found at a good price I still think it is a very good option
  • Are mesa v30s actually different? Or is it just the amazing cab construction?

The Harley Benton is such a kick arse bargain, it's basically perfect for a first gigging outfit.

I was talking to my friend and he asked how they sound if missing a speaker - he could essentially have a ported 1x12 (could tune the port) and sell the v30 brand new for what, thirty or forty quid?

Making a super bargain even cheaper. He'd consider swapping a speaker too, he's heard they mix well with others and he's a gear head so... :)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2350
    Are mesa v30s actually different?
    I think so, yeah.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yeah, the Mesa V30's are different to the regular Chinese V30's.