King of Tone mass exodus?

What's Hot

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    It's one thing them appearing in the classifieds but they being bought?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6130
    tFB Trader
    It's got to stop soon though hasn't it. I mean we aren't stupid are we ;) Silly money for a not very rare pedal 
    Ever since the king of tone was released, the waiting list has ensured a premium for secondhand versions. The recent promotion on that pedal show and weirdly because of the drop in the pound against the dollar has cemented the ability to yield a profit whilst trying it.

it won’t stop, but it may dip. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited October 2017
    I'd say there's been a steady stream of these in the used market for a while now, either on here or ebay - maybe 1 per week on average at a guess. In the past, 3 to 4 weeks would go by without one, and then 4 or 5 appear at once. Its simple statistics.

The second hand market has settled on around £350-£400 depending on options. After the exchange rate, postage and tax people aren't making the killing on these that some suggest by just flipping them. I'd think however, more people are getting to the top of the list now and just fancy checking them out knowing they can sell them without making a loss.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    BBBlues said:
    I'd say there's been a steady stream of these in the used market for a while now, either on here or ebay - maybe 1 per week on average at a guess. In the past, 3 to 4 weeks would go by without one, and then 4 or 5 appear at once. Its simple statistics.

The second hand market has settled on around £350-£400 depending on options. After the exchange rate, postage and tax people aren't making the killing on these that some suggest by just flipping them. I'd think however, more people are getting to the top of the list now and just fancy checking them out knowing they can sell them without making a loss.
    I just I feel like getting off the bandwagon then. So many alternative great pedals out there now. We've never had it so good ;) I'll be living with my pedals for a while to really get to know them as best I can. Certainly won't be flipping any of them for a while .... well at least until I know them well enough and feel the need to try something new. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited October 2017
    BBBlues said:

Think you've got a point there, that and maybe some being disappointed that it doesn't suddenly make them a much better player. You do have to ask though, that if the KOT is such an amazing pedal, why would anyone sell one other than in the most desperate of situations? I think that the heavily restricted supply is a big part of the story and that it would be a totally different story if the KOT was a mass produced pedal available in most guitar shops.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Its neither a King nor Duke. If it were a car I'd be a Lexus.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited October 2017
    Anyone who is buying a king of tone already must already have other great overdrive pedals. When they compare the KOT to their other expensive, well built and good sounding kit they get confused as to why they don't sound like a guitar god when before they didn't.

Saying that, I love the KOT and keep going back to it. But the reasons why I love it is that its actually pretty vanilla. What I mean by that is it doesn't change your tone that much - it thickens things up just enough, clips the bass frequencies just enough, boosts the mids just enough, adds compression just enough and sits really well in a band mix. My just enough is other's not enough/too much. Or people are looking for it to change their tone in ways it just doesn't.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Having got mine v recently - and put it up for sale with my new Sunface fuzz - and then withdrawn them both - I think some of the issue is that I expected them both to be so stunning that it would be instant tonal nirvana. And after waiting 19 months for the KOT, the anticipation had built and built. So I felt very deflated when they obviously did not induce the spiritual experience that they were never going to do. 
    After chatting with some friends and reflecting a bit as an adult rather than a fucking child, I've realised that ultimately the KoT is a handy 2in1 box that does a good job with a small footprint so I'll keep it for a while. 
    But I can now empathise with people selling them quickly as the hype, as ever, exceeds the reality, and if you have gear that already works for you, why not?
    I suspect strongly that prices will soften as I think a lot of people are coming to the top of the list, having got on it 18 months ago after the YouTube hype hit, and a lot more will appear. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    edited October 2017
    DesVegas said:
    It's one thing them appearing in the classifieds but they being bought?
    Mine sold last week 51 minutes after listing for a handsome profit.

I bought the KOT to try as my name came up. Gave it a week but it's just a dual overdrive with fairly flat EQ. I already had a Strymon Sunset and after extensive A/B  between the two, I decided the Sunset sounded better with my amp and guitars, is more flexible, has more options, has a more refined build quality with better quality and quieter switches. Plus it looks better!

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    edited October 2017
    Octafish said:
    R.e "King of Tone mass exodus?" You have to wonder, two KOTs have appeared in classifieds section in the last day. Listening to a few of the demos it doesn't sound much different to the Moring Glory clone I've got, which is based on the old Bluesbreaker pedal.
    I think the bubble is beginning to burst
    Imho, it's the opposite. They are relatively rare and have a huge waiting list.

The bubble hasnt burst at all, as they have never been so expensive.

The strength of the KOT is also its weakness; it's a silent (vital for me... i wont add hiss or noise to my set up) and neutral. It doesnt add colour to your tone, and thats why imho, some people are underwhelmed by the KOT. 

It just adds a little bit 'more' to your amp, and works best (as documented) at low gain AND into a cleanish amp and/or when the amp is cooking...

Ive just got a custom blue one with 4 jacks, top switch incoming. Why ? It'll work well with the G2, and along with the Brothers, all bases should be covered. 

However, people flip them (and I may yet again) because £450 is a lot of corn to have sitting in one pedal... its a good amount towards a great amp. If a Matchless Lightning head, for example, came into view, I may be sorely tempted.

The KOT also works very well with every amp Ive ever played. Is that the 'neutrality' thing coming through again ? I dunno...

True enough, there are a host of OD pedals that may suit you/your set up, and sound similar. By the way, the JHS Morning Glory isnt one of them imho !
    mattdavis said:
    Having got mine v recently - and put it up for sale with my new Sunface fuzz - and then withdrawn them both - I think some of the issue is that I expected them both to be so stunning that it would be instant tonal nirvana. And after waiting 19 months for the KOT, the anticipation had built and built. So I felt very deflated when they obviously did not induce the spiritual experience that they were never going to do. 
    After chatting with some friends and reflecting a bit as an adult rather than a fucking child, I've realised that ultimately the KoT is a handy 2in1 box that does a good job with a small footprint so I'll keep it for a while. 
    But I can now empathise with people selling them quickly as the hype, as ever, exceeds the reality, and if you have gear that already works for you, why not?
    I suspect strongly that prices will soften as I think a lot of people are coming to the top of the list, having got on it 18 months ago after the YouTube hype hit, and a lot more will appear. 
    Good honest post Matt !
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Octafish said:
    R.e "King of Tone mass exodus?" You have to wonder, two KOTs have appeared in classifieds section in the last day. Listening to a few of the demos it doesn't sound much different to the Moring Glory clone I've got, which is based on the old Bluesbreaker pedal.

The strength of the KOT is also its weakness; it's a silent (vital for me... i wont add hiss or noise to my set up) and neutral. It doesnt add colour to your tone, and thats why imho, some people are underwhelmed by the KOT. 

It just adds a little bit 'more' to your amp, and works best (as documented) at low gain AND into a cleanish amp and/or when the amp is cooking...

Ive just got a custom blue one with 4 jacks, top switch incoming. Why ? It'll work well with the G2, and along with the Brothers, all bases should be covered. 

However, people flip them (and I may yet again) because £450 is a lot of corn to have sitting in one pedal... its a good amount towards a great amp. If a Matchless Lightning head, for example, came into view, I may be sorely tempted.

The KOT also works very well with every amp Ive ever played. Is that the 'neutrality' thing coming through again ? I dunno...

True enough, there are a host of OD pedals that may suit you/your set up, and sound similar. By the way, the JHS Morning Glory isnt one of them imho !
    Have I missed something Waz, are you going back to G2? I thought you were Helix'd up these days? Or is this some kinda super-rig
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    @Wazmeister Interesting to hear you say it is neutral - I think there is a definite mid kick. Not like a tubescreamer, but with my set up it does seem to push those frequencies. The tone controls are actually very useful though and I'm setting more treble with it than I would usually have set on a drive pedal. 
    @dindude - yep mate, been back in G2 land for a few months, as well as the Helix.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    Getting one and then flipping it goes against my usual behaviour (I buy yo plsy/use etc) but yeah £450 is a lot of money in one pedal and I would be tempted. However knowing my luck the market would've dived for one when I get mine lol. 

There has been times that I could've sold my veteran for more than I paid for it but I can't seem to let it go as I enjoy it. Nearly did a couple of months back when the wolf was at my door but thankfully he moved on ;) 

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Getting one and then flipping it goes against my usual behaviour (I buy yo plsy/use etc) but yeah £450 is a lot of money in one pedal and I would be tempted. However knowing my luck the market would've dived for one when I get mine lol. 

There has been times that I could've sold my veteran for more than I paid for it but I can't seem to let it go as I enjoy it. Nearly did a couple of months back when the wolf was at my door but thankfully he moved on ;)

That's the thing about the KOT. For such a supposedly superior overdrive that's is in very limited supply we seem to see a lot come up 2nd hand.
    Octafish said:

Just going off the few demo clips I've seen, sounded similar. Interstingly it looks like the KOT is also (like the Morning Glory) a modded Bluesbreaker.
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    I had one for a bit. Liked it but felt ridiculous having a pedal worth over £400 so sold it.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5153
    edited October 2017
    Holy Fek....Just picked up a new one in a trade and it’s right up my street...Mines high gain red side v4. 
    It make me sound almost good... brings my Reverb pedal to life and is mega silent at high gain. Both sides on can do fuzz territory. 
    Whether i’d pay nearly £500 for one is debatable, but for what mine owes me i’m very happy. I don’t play at volume so my fears for it sounding average have gone.
    But I’m fickle so expect it in classifieds shortly (only joking)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    Personally I think the KOT is an absolutely killer pedal, few sound as good IMO, close perhaps but lacking aparrt from the Echopark Dual Harmonic which totally nails the KOT and more, also by Echopark the  Echodriver...check them out if you can