Practice amp

What's Hot
ezrrlezrrl Frets: 1
Hello everyone!

I'm new.

What is the best choice for home practice amp?(I have a Fender SS 75W,too loud for this.)

Randall Diavlo RD5C(is it still loud?) or Yamaha THR10X?

Thanks,

ezrrl
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Depends what you mean by home practice. I have a THR10c that I use 90% of the time and that does the job very well. If i want to play with my pedals or play a bit loud them I fire up any other amp. 

The new Vox Adio(?) gets nice reviews as well, although it is a little pricier than the THRs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Marshall DSL5c or the Roland Microcube perhaps. The Microcube has 7 different amp models and on board effects. Plus its tiny so won't piss off housemates/neighbours!
  • I have a Roland Cube 10 and it's the best small amp that I've had.  I use pedals in front of it, but it has plenty of options with regards to overdrive channels, and you can download the Cubekit app and load in more amp models.  I run my pedals through the Fender Deluxe model and it sounds good enough for me. 

• ezrrlezrrl Frets: 1
    THX for your answer!

I live in an apartment,and i have neighbors.  :)
    Home practice=Just practice,and some recording...my dream,is a tube amp(RandallRD5C),... but i feel the better choice,is the Yamaha.

Vox?I saw yesterday Rob Chapman's demonstration...not bad...but not the real thing.Sometimes less is better, Yamaha all the way.

I hope i will make a good decision.

Thanks!

I'll check the Rolands & the Marshall.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    ezrrl said:
    Thanks!

I'll check the Rolands & the Marshall.
    Welcome.

The Roland Cubes aren't built any more, but probably plenty on eBay etc. I like that they are very intuitive to use and do great clean sounds. They have several amp models - to my ears the lower distortion sounds such as Tweed and Blackface aren't at all bad. However, the more extreme sounds can be quite 'fizzy'. I've got the 40W Cube XL which is small and quiet enough for home use, but also capable of small gigs (just so long as the drummer isn't a Neanderthal tub thumper).

The Roland micro cube is definitely a good shout.

IMHO the Marshall DSL5C being a valve amp could still be surprisingly loud. Being valve it will still need to be cranked to get the best from it.

Since you mentioned Randall, I'm guessing you're after higher gain sounds? The Orange Crush series, despite being SS, are all analogue and can do quite 'gainy'.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Low volume and drive sounds with effects don't go together. If you're OK practising with headphones, you'll have lots of choice. If you want to stay with a speaker, you might like the BlackStar Fly for practicing. It records better than you might think, too. And it's cheap. If you're looking for onstage sounds at apartment volume levels, look elsewhere. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Add the Katana Mini to your list of possibles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @HAL9000 the Cubes are still being built as far as I know, they're on the Roland website as well.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited October 2017

@HAL9000 the Cubes are still being built as far as I know, they're on the Roland website as well.

They're certainly on the website, but it looks like the only ones you can actually buy now are the Cube Street, Micro Cube, and the 10GX. All the others appear to be discontinued.

I'm guessing the Boss Katana range effectively replaces the 40GX and the 80GX.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • The DSL5c has a switch that can change it from 5 to 1 watts I think, so you can crank it without breaking any glass!
    ...answers,answers!  

Thx guys!

I will decide...hopefully beside the best.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    If moderate size isn't an issue, Boss Katana every time.

If you want a baby, Blackstar ID Core 10.

Those are great value...

If you want to spend a lot of money, the THR or Vox Handbag are good.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...