Acus One acoustic amp

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
Anyone got one of these?

I've never come across them before but one came into the shop as a potential sale yesterday and I had a brief listen to it. My first impression was that it was quite AER-like, but actually sounded better. It looks solidly-made, but I haven't opened it up yet.

Made in Italy so my initial thought was that they were related to MarkBass in some way...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    are these in some way related to SR Technologies?  think there was some kind of takeover?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Yes, from a bit of searching they're an offshoot of the same family business, or something like that. The amps do look quite similar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• camfcamf Frets: 1190
    I've had one for the last year. Great for acoustic rehearsals at home. 
    The third channel makes a difference.
    This one is an older model 6, so only two channels - that would probably be a limitation for me too.

Ah. Well it will be good to hear what you think of the build quality once you've had a look. 
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    I have a Acus One 6t and it's a fantastic amp, as you say very aer like but I find it slightly warmer and less clinical. 

I believe it's designed by the same tech as the Schertler series of acoustic amps.

They seem to share a similar design though I've not tried one of them to compare. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Chris_J said:
    I have a Acus One 6t and it's a fantastic amp, as you say very aer like but I find it slightly warmer and less clinical.
    That's exactly what I thought from a brief test in the shop… although I'd maybe say a bit more than slightly.

• I've got one. Bought after trying it against AER, Fishman and Tanglewood alternatives - just seemed to have more sparkle (I don't know what other word to use). Also like the simple ergonomics and hole in the bottom so it mounts directly onto a PA speaker stand - gigged it, rehearsed with it and haven't sold it so clearly I must like it.
    Forgot to update this - I bought it :).

That's good to know. :)
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Great stuff, I'm dead happy with mine :)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16004
    they are superb
    Old thread, I know... but I gigged mine last night for the first time and it was great. I'm assuming that there's no phantom power on the mic inputs, is there? Anyone know? @ICBM?

camf said:

I'm assuming that there's no phantom power on the mic inputs, is there? Anyone know? @ICBM?
    Yes, there is - 36V, if it matters.

Thanks @ICBM. Did you measure it? I only realised it might be there when I plugged in a DI box and it seemed to be getting power from the ACUS. From what I could see, there isn't any indication on the amp or in the online manual. Could that that adversely affect non phantom power mics? Honestly, I really don't understand how that stuff works - phantom power is as mysterious to me as its name suggests. I could easily it's made from ghosts. Nevertheless, IMH(and now clearly stupid)O, these are really great amps. 

camf said:
    Thanks @ICBM. Did you measure it?
    Yes, I just stuck my multimeter in it ten minutes ago :).

camf said:

From what I could see, there isn't any indication on the amp or in the online manual. Could that that adversely affect non phantom power mics?
    Unlikely, since any decent mic or other gadget designed to be connected to an XLR cable must be assumed to see phantom power at some point - but it's not impossible.

camf said:

Honestly, I really don't understand how that stuff works - phantom power is as mysterious to me as its name suggests. I could easily it's made from ghosts. Nevertheless, IMH(and now clearly stupid)O, these are really great amps. 
    It's really very simple - electricity is fed back up the signal cable to drive the electronics of whatever is at the other end - typically a condenser mic, but many DI boxes are designed for it too.

Got it! You're right, it really is very simple. (But serious point... is it actually made of ghosts?) ;)
    camf said:
    Got it! You're right, it really is very simple. (But serious point... is it actually made of ghosts?) ;)
    That depends on whether you think ghosts are made from electrons or not :).

Ha! I knew I was right. I ****ing love science.