New Jeff Beck DVD - live at the Hollywood Bowl

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
in Music tFB Trader
Christmas wish list time is soon approaching but has any one got and played the new J Beck DVD yet

Live at the Hollywood Bowl - 20 odd tracks - guest appearance inc Billy Gibbons, Beth Hart and Jan Hammer

Update accordingly as I've not acquired it yet
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    Seen a few clips on YouTube. It seems to have a lot of guests on it, not sure if that's a good thing . I don't mind the odd guest but I wonder how much Jeff we're going to get. The Buddy Guy and Billy Gibbons slots just seem to be 12 bar blues numbers  :# And blimey, Jan Hammer has got really porky! 

Btw, if you haven't got the Ronnie Scott's gig DVD, get it. It's superb. The club atmosphere works really well and JB is on amazing form. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    This is pretty good ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I've just ordered the DVD/2 Cd set. Only an extra £5 over just the DVD. Which I thought was a bargain as I listen to music far more than I sit down and watch stuff. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    boogieman said:
    Seen a few clips on YouTube. It seems to have a lot of guests on it, not sure if that's a good thing . I don't mind the odd guest but I wonder how much Jeff we're going to get. The Buddy Guy and Billy Gibbons slots just seem to be 12 bar blues numbers  :# And blimey, Jan Hammer has got really porky! 

Btw, if you haven't got the Ronnie Scott's gig DVD, get it. It's superb. The club atmosphere works really well and JB is on amazing form. 
    got the R Scotts gig and yes awesome and likewise the LP evening with Mrs May - Yes my reservation was a tribute night with all such guests and never quite sure if this is the best bet - Yet Jan with Beck and a few old numbers was the Wired and blow by Blow era 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    This is probably heresy but I just don't get Jeff Beck.  Undoubtedly, he is a great guitarist, inventive and original in his playing and his songwriting, but his performances always leave me cold.  Don't know why.  Possibly, to me, it's always a little sterile.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    rlw said:
    This is probably heresy but I just don't get Jeff Beck.  Undoubtedly, he is a great guitarist, inventive and original in his playing and his songwriting, but his performances always leave me cold.  Don't know why.  Possibly, to me, it's always a little sterile.
    Marmite ;)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    rlw said:
    I agree in a way. He’s done some great stuff - the Ronnie Scotts DVD being a good example - but I think the ‘problem’ is being a guitar player, rather than a guitar player who sings, or a guitar player who supports a singer. 

I’d far rather have Mike Campbell or George Harrison....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    https://youtu.be/rXJQb7aIxfk

Fairly recent set. I prefer this bit rockier stuff with some singing, too much of the jazz fusion, Hank Marvin on crack stuff leaves me a bit cold. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Jeff is the best guitarist I've seen in person. I saw him from the 4th row and had my perception of guitar playing changed forever. It turns out that the singer in my band was at the same gig (before we knew each other) and left early because he was so bored. That's Jeff in a nutshell - you either get it or you don't.  
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Jeff is the best guitarist I've seen in person. I saw him from the 4th row and had my perception of guitar playing changed forever. It turns out that the singer in my band was at the same gig (before we knew each other) and left early because he was so bored. That's Jeff in a nutshell - you either get it or you don't.  
    Turned out the singer in my band and me, long before I knew him, were at the same BB King concert which he thought was awful and I loved. Singers eh...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom